Urgent answer needed - thanks in advance!! Regarding Twitter and iPhone 5!

Crystallis

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I am looking for a very quick answer to a question! I have just bought an iPhone 5 and before I switch it on I know it's going to ask me about updating and syncing contacts that I already have in my contacts list. When I do this - will Twitter automatically follow anyone who's in my address book if they have an email address connected to Twitter? Or do I have have to add people I wish to follow manually. I'm a manager so it's important I don't follow anyone I shouldn't be since our company has a good old 'social media policy'.

Hurry all - I wanna switch it on and get going!!! :)

Love your article - thanks!!

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
When setting up your iPhone, if you get a prompt asking if you want to import your contacts into Twitter - just say "No". Same with Facebook...

Crystallis

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!

So erm... what if I've said yes already. :/

WIll it automatically start following people from Twitter - even if I'm not already doing so?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I am looking for a very quick answer to a question! I have just bought an iPhone 5 and before I switch it on I know it's going to ask me about updating and syncing contacts that I already have in my contacts list. When I do this - will Twitter automatically follow anyone who's in my address book if they have an email address connected to Twitter? Or do I have have to add people I wish to follow manually. I'm a manager so it's important I don't follow anyone I shouldn't be since our company has a good old 'social media policy'.

Hurry all - I wanna switch it on and get going!!! :)

Love your article - thanks!!

Twitter should not auto import your contact list because unless you're restoring from a backup, you will have to sign in to Twitter either via setup or via a Twitter app. I don't have a Facebook account so I can't speak for it.

Crystallis

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again - my point is though....

Will the iPhone automatically start to follow people in my contact list - I don't want all my employees whose email address I have and who maybe using Twitter, to get an email saying their boss is now following them!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again - my point is though....

Will the iPhone automatically start to follow people in my contact list - I don't want all my employees whose email address I have and who maybe using Twitter, to get an email saying their boss is now following them!!

No. Twitter on your iPhone will continue to follow those that you were already following... when you sign in to your twitter account you will see them. But Twitter (and any of the 3rd party apps) will NOT simply follow anyone/everyone that in in your contact list simply because you’re using Twitter and so are they, and that they happen to be in your contact list. You still have to add/remove people manually.

Crystallis

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Brilliant thanks so much!

So basically - there is no way to automatically follow someone just through syncing contacts? The reason I'm a little overly-concerned about this, is that there is an employee in my company who claimed their new iPhone5 phone had asked them to 'upload all contacts to Twitter' while syncing contacts etc. So you are 100% clear that this is definitely not possible? There was some discord between us at the time, so it's very important I get this straight!

I can't thank you all enough for your quick responses!

Edited for clarity - twice! lol

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, there's no way to 'follow' someone on Twitter without specifically somehow "clicking a button" to do so... the mere act of synching contacts to a mobile device is not enough to initiate a Twitter 'follow'... and if there's and app that does so, it's a crappy, un-secure app.

Crystallis

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That's fantastic news thank you - in light of whats been said this could make an issue I was very unclear about (and also almost made me regret buying an iPhone) in to a rather formal one! I appreciate all your comments and welcome any further ones with open arms!!! :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, there's no way to 'follow' someone on Twitter without specifically somehow "clicking a button" to do so... the mere act of synching contacts to a mobile device is not enough to initiate a Twitter 'follow'... and if there's and app that does so, it's a crappy, un-secure app.

^^^^ What he said.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Unless you happen to have your contacts' Twitter names in their contact information, it would be impossible anyway. And if you have their Twitter handles, it's probably because you already follow them.

Right?

Crystallis

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry maybe I haven't been clear enough about what I mean :-/

Can you follow someone - that you are not already following, on Twitter, when you get a new iPhone5, by installing the twitter app and if you have their phone number and email address in your contacts?

I'm not really asking if I can follow someone (I know I can if I want to) - what I'm asking is can it happen without my knowledge either by accident or indirectly?

EDITED:

I jut took this screenshot from the twitter site and it's the short paragraph at the bottom which is worrying me.

5416.png

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
When you integrate your Twitter with your address book, if you are already following someone on Twitter, he will be added to your address book. If there is enough information there, he might be added to a contact already in your address book. Otherwise you will find a new contact with no information beyond a Twitter name (which frequently has no bearing on a person's real name).

You cannot automatically follow anyone in your address book since their Twitter names are not in their contact information. Period. Twitter names are specific to Twitter and have nothing to do with the information you have in your address book.

Your short answer - as has been explained 6 times now, is NO.

You can only follow people on a one at a time specific basis by going into the Twitter app (any Twitter app), or Twitter on the web, and clicking the Follow button, or sending the Follow @name command.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR