*a new screen size is definitely in apple's future sooner than we think!!!

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Now that Apple's stock posted lower than expected, I predict we will see a bigger iPhone in the future. My guess it will be sooner (this year) rather than later. I believe Apple would want to give a lot of customers that much needed real estate feature. I read about what Tim Cook said about believing Apple chose the right screen size; however, I do believe he feels they could have bumped it up a few more notches. What do YOU believe?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I think that given the increased costs to change the product lines, and the fact that they had lower profit margins due in part to this very reason, it would not be feasible to believe a new release with a different form factor will occur this year. Not only do you have to consider the costs involved, you would also have increased fragmentation. I just dont think the Apple brass want this. However, I didn't think there would be an ipad mini either and that happened.

My fear is that Apple believes they have found their niche in older adults who want and desire a fool-proof smart phone. While I would love to see a revamped operating system, less restriction, and a larger screen, I believe I would fall into the minority vs majority. But having tried the Galaxy Nexus, S3, and Note 2 within the last year......I will continue to stay with the iphone as long as those are my main alternative choices.

Back to the title of this thread, in a nutshell, I respectfully disagree. I do not think a new screen size for the iphone is anywhere near becoming a reality.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Now that Apple's stock posted lower than expected, I predict we will see a bigger iPhone in the future. My guess it will be sooner (this year) rather than later. I believe Apple would want to give a lot of customers that much needed real estate feature. I read about what Tim Cook said about believing Apple chose the right screen size; however, I do believe he feels they could have bumped it up a few more notches. What do YOU believe?
You do realize that the next iPhone was already prototyped way before the stock was down? I mean it takes usually 12-18 months so if anything we wouldn't see that until next year unless they decided on it from the get go.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You seem rather upset for someone with such certainty in their thread title...

What i believe is that Apple has never conformed to the status quo (in regard to other smart phone's designs and setups), and i doubt they ever will...I was a bit surprised they upped the size of the iPhone 5, but after seeing how they did it, it made sense, a larger screen but not in the way people would expect.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
They have definitely conformed to the status quo, man. Look at the iPad Mini. That is a prime example.

Did you notice the part of my comment you omitted? The part where i specifically said "in regard to other smart phones"? The iPhone doesn't need to conform to anything because it continually reminds those that think it's lagging behind that it has no problem selling without conforming and they can improve and update it without following the typical market "features".

I don't feel the next iPhone will be bigger or smaller, but i don't know that for certain...i did find the certainty in your thread title a bit humorous though.

jerome g

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Did you notice the part of my comment you omitted? The part where i specifically said "in regard to other smart phones"? The iPhone doesn't need to conform to anything because it continually reminds those that think it's lagging behind that it has no problem selling without conforming and they can improve and update it without following the typical market "features".

I don't feel the next iPhone will be bigger or smaller, but i don't know that for certain...i did find the certainty in your thread title a bit humorous though.

I disagree with you slightly, Apple does need to conform and has done so, as I type this on my iphone 5 with its new, "conformed" screen size.
It may be argued if this is really conforming, but if they thought the other size was optimal, they would have kept it.
Many were wondering when they would go bigger and after a year or 2 later they have done it.
They conform at their own pace and have just enough inginuity (sp?) that they can get away with it. The next model is just good enough to upgrade and, as you pointed out, the next gens are already waiting to be debuted.
They do seem to be getting diminishing returns on that strategy and this is a time where they will be tested thoroughly.
Will they come out with the next great product ? iTV ? Or something else ?
We will soon see, but my bet is on them.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So a 4" screen that was increased in size in a very unconventional way is conforming? lol...interesting.

I guess by this logic, any changes made to the iPhone is conforming, lol!

Apple hasn't conformed anything on the iPhone, they increased the size of their product in a way that retains their design prowess and allows for further function on the phone itself. There was no settling there for the sake of satisfying those that feel they need a larger screen, there was no pressure to do so to "compete" with the other handsets on the market...otherwise the iPhone's screen real estate would be much larger, in a much more conventional approach and there would be no real differentiation between the iPhone and the Samsung offerings that show the most legitimate competition.

Status Quo...a term I used earlier. If you think the iPhone has in fact conformed to other manufacturers, you should probably recheck the definition of the term.

angermeans

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
They have definitely conformed to the status quo, man. Look at the iPad Mini. That is a prime example.

The mini was done because apple was smart enough to find a way with absolutely zero fragmentation of their eco system. This was easy for apple they just used the same res as the iPad 1 and 2. Now changing the size of the iPhone wouldn't be the same because apple will not mess with their highly touted retina display. They have already stated that to be retina quality a phone needs to be above 300 ppi (iPads and MacBooks can be higher considering they aren't as close to your face as your phone). I would also prefer they don't take a step backwards and would more prefer they don't fragment the eco system. Hell, even just making the phone 4" (which I think was more compromise than following so called market trends as they needed the space for the bigger battery, LTE, making the phone slimmer, etc) and that they only made the phone taller and still even with the popularity of the iPhone 5 we still see a lot of apps that don't have iPhone 5 support and some never will. It is a lot of work to code apps and apple making a completely different size and aspect ratio would cause the same problems that android is seeing and it is severely keeping the Play Store from growing to its potential. Look at the lack of tablet apps. I don't think we will see a larger iPhone until apple takes the same resolution and instead of x2 the vertical and horizontal pixels like they did with the iPhone 4 making the retina display they actually go to a x3 or even x4 resolution and then they can safely increase the size without messing with the resolution and will still have enough ppi to call it retina.

Now with the iPad mini I also don't think we will see a retina version somewhat because of what I mentioned above until they increase the retina to x3 or x4 on the rest of their products as if they simply increased the mini pixels like they did with the 3rd gen iPad then the mini would have the same ppi as the iPhone and why would apple do that on its lowest cost iPad and more importantly why would anyone upgrade to a 9.7" iPad in the future when you could get a mini for less cost and higher ppi. The mini will always be a parts bin products from past iPads and will always be a version or two behind its older and larger brother. You have to look at the tech apple has. Also when the iPad 3 went retina they had to increase the battery by almost 70% which would increase the size and weight of the mini and the weight and size is the minis best feature. People are so convinced we will see a larger iPhone and iPad mini with retina, but because of what I mentioned I just don't think the tech is there yet (IGZO displays?) and apple has clearly shown they won't risk the quality of their products just to have something to market faster than it needs to be (no LTE in the 4s, no 3G in the original iPhone, no retina on the iPad mini, etc etc). It goes against everything apple has done up until this point and the best feature on iOS devices is easily its excellent and thriving eco system. To increase the size of the iPhone when there is absolutely no proof that the market is even demanding a larger display iPhone would be crazy. No phone on planet earth is coming close to outselling the iPhone and I would think they aren't even outselling the iPhone 4 and 4s and they are even smaller.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711