Broken iPhone 5 - will Apple replace it?

Saltank

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
A friend of mine is enquiring whether or not his really damaged iPhone would be replaced by Apple (obviously not under warranty since it's accidental damage).
He says it turns on but the screen is blotchy when turned on (sorry I don't have photos of that).

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4985.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4987.JPG

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm unsure. Also, this is not in the US. He's in Germany.

AppleCare+ covers accidental damage. Without it, accidental coverage is NOT covered. It doesn’t look like the kind of damage that could give the Apple Genius any "wiggle room"... but I guess it won’t hurt to try. If they say "no", your friend is still in the same place he is now. If they say "yes", then he’s golden.

Saltank

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
AppleCare+ covers accidental damage. Without it, accidental coverage is NOT covered. It doesn’t look like the kind of damage that could give the Apple Genius any "wiggle room"... but I guess it won’t hurt to try. If they say "no", your friend is still in the same place he is now. If they say "yes", then he’s golden.

I popped down to an Apple store today and they said it's possible to replace it for a fixed fee, as long as it's "in one piece". So I think we'll try that route!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I popped down to an Apple store today and they said it's possible to replace it for a fixed fee, as long as it's "in one piece". So I think we'll try that route!

I think the going rate for broken phone out of warranty is $229 for iPhone 5. They replaced my wife's iPhone 4S for $149 after she shattered the screen. Good luck.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site

Best of luck!! If they replace it for the $229 that Fausty mentioned, that is a steal. And that should be the case as my buddy just did the exact same thing at the Apple store this past Saturday. Out of curiosity though, what caused that damage cause that's a nasty looking dent!!

Saltank

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
^^^ I was just about to say! Was i the only one that immediately went WTF happened to that thing!?

All I know is that it was dropped very heavily. It's a 16GB version, and I've managed to get him to connect it to his PC with iTunes and give me a serial number. Is there a site that can tell if it's unlocked by reading the serial number?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Dropped? Or thrown!? lol...

At any rate, you would need the IMEI number to see if it's unlocked...though i would think it would be pretty easy to figure out whether it was unlocked or not, if he get it from Verizon, it came unlocked, anywhere else...no unlock. If he got it anywhere but Verizon, he would have had to pay for an unlock himself (or would have had to buy it unlocked for full retail price)...surely he would remember this.

pb18

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you solved your issue yet, but sometimes Apple will just replace the phone at no charge. I dropped my iPhone 5 a couple months after getting it, and a call to Apple was all it took to get a brand new replacement (you could probably go to an Apple Store too). I was out of the 90 day warranty, which doesn't cover accidental drops anyway, and I didn't have AppleCare. Just be persistent (but don't beg). Doesn't hurt trying, you could get lucky like me.

sandely65

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you solved your issue yet, but sometimes Apple will just replace the phone at no charge. I dropped my iPhone 5 a couple months after getting it, and a call to Apple was all it took to get a brand new replacement (you could probably go to an Apple Store too). I was out of the 90 day warranty, which doesn't cover accidental drops anyway, and I didn't have AppleCare. Just be persistent (but don't beg). Doesn't hurt trying, you could get lucky like me.

Can you give me more details as to how you managed to get it replaced? I have a friend who just dropped his phone today and cracked the screen. He's had it for about 3-4 months and does not have the apple care. Do you think he can get it replaced?

Thank you!

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
"Free of charge" replacments are on a case by case basis according to the Apple Store manager I spoke to about my mothers cracked iPhone 4. Some stores flat out do not do it, other seem to be much more liberal in their decisions when it comes to this.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
"Free of charge" replacments are on a case by case basis according to the Apple Store manager I spoke to about my mothers cracked iPhone 4. Some stores flat out do not do it, other seem to be much more liberal in their decisions when it comes to this.

I've never heard of a single person who requested a replacement iPhone who brought it in for an issue that wasn't related to physical damage caused by the customer or abuse, being denied. People have reported getting replacements when they've fouled up their iPhone through a jailbreak with the JB STILL on the phone itself! Case by case basis might be the situation OUT of warranty, but under warranty, unless you messed it up physically, is near 100%.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I bring broken phones into Apple all the time. I am courteous, tell them the truth about what happened (or at least I tell them what my users tell me) and don't make them feel like they owe me anything and I almost always leave with a fixed phone for no cost.

CashiPhone

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If you don't have apple care then Apple will replace your iPhone for you for a small cost ( ~ $300) instead of paying the full price for a new one

Shelly Sparks

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I had my ipod replaced for free about 3 years ago but I hear they now charge a fixed price. I dropped it and it stopped working. I didn't have receipt, insurance or AppleCare. And I didn't buy it at Apple store. When I went to store to see if I could pay to have it fixed they told me I didn't need to - they would replace my broken one. I said "but it was my fault. I dropped it." They said "yes, that's ok." I guess that's how they roll. I've since learned this is common pracitce so just take it in. There's no trick to it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR