Lock Button

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I know we have all heard of the lock button becoming stuck on the iPhone 4 and 4S models, but how about on the 5? My iPhone 5, which I bought on release day, now has an appointment at the Apple store on Tuesday to get replaced. :( The lock button truly only works when it wants to. I've discovered that if I hit the very far left of the button, it will work. But if I press the middle or the right side, then I get nothing. The lock button has always rattled, which I have read is normal.

Anyone else having lock button problems? I may be being picky, but after paying what I paid (my 5 is a 32 GB), I expect everything to function right for more than 3 months.

I also have a question about the Apple store. If all of my contacts and user data are backed up to iCloud, will they restore the new phone from iCloud and activate it while I am there in the store, or will they make me take it home and do it? I am just wondering, because I want to make sure the phone is activated and ready to use when leave the store, since I have a two hour drive to get to the store in the first place.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I know we have all heard of the lock button becoming stuck on the iPhone 4 and 4S models, but how about on the 5? My iPhone 5, which I bought on release day, now has an appointment at the Apple store on Tuesday to get replaced. :( The lock button truly only works when it wants to. I've discovered that if I hit the very far left of the button, it will work. But if I press the middle or the right side, then I get nothing. The lock button has always rattled, which I have read is normal.

Anyone else having lock button problems? I may be being picky, but after paying what I paid (my 5 is a 32 GB), I expect everything to function right for more than 3 months.

I also have a question about the Apple store. If all of my contacts and user data are backed up to iCloud, will they restore the new phone from iCloud and activate it while I am there in the store, or will they make me take it home and do it? I am just wondering, because I want to make sure the phone is activated and ready to use when leave the store, since I have a two hour drive to get to the store in the first place.

A.) Rattle normal...no function, not normal (or common), you did the best thing you could do by making a genius appointment.

B.) These are mass produced consumer electronics...there are going to be faults. The day a consumer product has an entire line of perfection, look for pigs in the sky and a very icy ground.

3.) Yes, if your stuff is backed up in iCloud, they'll get you squared away in the store.

msteiner0539

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
OP. I had the EXACT same issue. Left side worked more often than not, and the middle and right side would never work. Went to apple store and got a replacement which seems to be working (for now). Note that the replacement will more than likely be a refurb. They offered to iCloud restore but I had backed up on iTunes any ways.
Cheers.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I guess I can expect to get a refurb since the one I have is already three months old as well. I just hope this one time fixes the issue and things can stay okay...because the Apple store is quite a drive for me.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
OP. I had the EXACT same issue. Left side worked more often than not, and the middle and right side would never work. Went to apple store and got a replacement which seems to be working (for now). Note that the replacement will more than likely be a refurb. They offered to iCloud restore but I had backed up on iTunes any ways.
Cheers.

Did they give you any trouble replacing it? I just hope they don't try to argue with me and say it's not broken or something, because I know it is.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My SO got his replaced for the same issue, no fuss. They did swear up and down it was a new phone, not a refurb.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Went to the Apple store yesterday. It took literally five minutes. I showed the guy the lock button issue and he grabbed me another phone identical to mine and restored it from iCloud for me. Only thing is, the replacement phone has an itty bitty little nick on the side finish of it. Apparently it is a victim of the out of the box scratching issue. No biggie, as I put it immediately into my Speck Candyshell grip. I'm happy.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2

SBelloso

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Did they give you any trouble replacing it? I just hope they don't try to argue with me and say it's not broken or something, because I know it is.

I went to the Apple store in Sherman Oaks, CA and the guy gave me a hard time. He said that since the button still works on the left side that it's fine. I told him if he could try one of the new phones on display to see if that's normal and he said it didn't matter. That as long as the left side works its ok and that while it's not perfect and annoying it's still within spec. I only went to try at the store after reading on tons of forums that everyone went in and had it replaced with no problems. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them but he sure treated me like that. It's a minor problem and yes it works on the left side but it's really annoying and it's not how the phone was designed to work. Maybe I just had bad luck. Made an appointment with a genius at a different store. Hopefully it goes well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77