Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

    Default Lock Button

    I know we have all heard of the lock button becoming stuck on the iPhone 4 and 4S models, but how about on the 5? My iPhone 5, which I bought on release day, now has an appointment at the Apple store on Tuesday to get replaced. The lock button truly only works when it wants to. I've discovered that if I hit the very far left of the button, it will work. But if I press the middle or the right side, then I get nothing. The lock button has always rattled, which I have read is normal.

    Anyone else having lock button problems? I may be being picky, but after paying what I paid (my 5 is a 32 GB), I expect everything to function right for more than 3 months.

    I also have a question about the Apple store. If all of my contacts and user data are backed up to iCloud, will they restore the new phone from iCloud and activate it while I am there in the store, or will they make me take it home and do it? I am just wondering, because I want to make sure the phone is activated and ready to use when leave the store, since I have a two hour drive to get to the store in the first place.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  2. #2  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    9,502 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,504 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Lock Button

    Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    I know we have all heard of the lock button becoming stuck on the iPhone 4 and 4S models, but how about on the 5? My iPhone 5, which I bought on release day, now has an appointment at the Apple store on Tuesday to get replaced. The lock button truly only works when it wants to. I've discovered that if I hit the very far left of the button, it will work. But if I press the middle or the right side, then I get nothing. The lock button has always rattled, which I have read is normal.

    Anyone else having lock button problems? I may be being picky, but after paying what I paid (my 5 is a 32 GB), I expect everything to function right for more than 3 months.

    I also have a question about the Apple store. If all of my contacts and user data are backed up to iCloud, will they restore the new phone from iCloud and activate it while I am there in the store, or will they make me take it home and do it? I am just wondering, because I want to make sure the phone is activated and ready to use when leave the store, since I have a two hour drive to get to the store in the first place.
    A.) Rattle normal...no function, not normal (or common), you did the best thing you could do by making a genius appointment.

    B.) These are mass produced consumer electronics...there are going to be faults. The day a consumer product has an entire line of perfection, look for pigs in the sky and a very icy ground.

    3.) Yes, if your stuff is backed up in iCloud, they'll get you squared away in the store.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  3. #3  
    msteiner0539's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

    Default Re: Lock Button

    OP. I had the EXACT same issue. Left side worked more often than not, and the middle and right side would never work. Went to apple store and got a replacement which seems to be working (for now). Note that the replacement will more than likely be a refurb. They offered to iCloud restore but I had backed up on iTunes any ways.
    Cheers.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

    Default Lock Button

    I guess I can expect to get a refurb since the one I have is already three months old as well. I just hope this one time fixes the issue and things can stay okay...because the Apple store is quite a drive for me.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

    Default Lock Button

    Quote Originally Posted by msteiner0539 View Post
    OP. I had the EXACT same issue. Left side worked more often than not, and the middle and right side would never work. Went to apple store and got a replacement which seems to be working (for now). Note that the replacement will more than likely be a refurb. They offered to iCloud restore but I had backed up on iTunes any ways.
    Cheers.
    Did they give you any trouble replacing it? I just hope they don't try to argue with me and say it's not broken or something, because I know it is.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  6. #6  
    Laelipoo's Avatar

    Posts
    1,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default Lock Button

    My SO got his replaced for the same issue, no fuss. They did swear up and down it was a new phone, not a refurb.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    ​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    Thanked by:
    trtmazda3 (01-20-2013)
  7. #7  
    Adam Daieh1's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    4 Posts

    Default Re: Lock Button

    One of the common issue of iPhone is their home button being stuck.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    trtmazda3's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts

    Default Re: Lock Button

    Went to the Apple store yesterday. It took literally five minutes. I showed the guy the lock button issue and he grabbed me another phone identical to mine and restored it from iCloud for me. Only thing is, the replacement phone has an itty bitty little nick on the side finish of it. Apparently it is a victim of the out of the box scratching issue. No biggie, as I put it immediately into my Speck Candyshell grip. I'm happy.

    Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
  9. #9  
    SBelloso's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: Lock Button

    Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    Did they give you any trouble replacing it? I just hope they don't try to argue with me and say it's not broken or something, because I know it is.
    I went to the Apple store in Sherman Oaks, CA and the guy gave me a hard time. He said that since the button still works on the left side that it's fine. I told him if he could try one of the new phones on display to see if that's normal and he said it didn't matter. That as long as the left side works its ok and that while it's not perfect and annoying it's still within spec. I only went to try at the store after reading on tons of forums that everyone went in and had it replaced with no problems. I'm not trying to pull a fast one on them but he sure treated me like that. It's a minor problem and yes it works on the left side but it's really annoying and it's not how the phone was designed to work. Maybe I just had bad luck. Made an appointment with a genius at a different store. Hopefully it goes well.

Similar Threads

  1. My iphone 3g sleep/lock button won't work?
    By iphonenoob in forum iPhone 3G Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 08:23 PM
  2. How I fixed the lock button on the free TiPb bumper
    By spangler07 in forum Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 10:47 PM
  3. deleted launchdaemons,lock button broken can't restore-warranty replacement possible?
    By pandoraaj009 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 11:35 PM

Posting Permissions