So. I cracked my iPhone 5 screen 4 days after purchasing it.

Ashwee95

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I never drop my phone...so I thought I would be fine waiting a few days to get my otterbox case in the mail. I was wrong. I got my phone Thursday, and I dropped my phone Monday night. My case was delivered Tuesday. Timing is something I see I have mastered.

I have insurance through Verizon but I know they will send a new phone and I will not be eligible for AppleCare+ which I was planning on getting this weekend. I called a repair shop and they're asking for $299 to repair it. What can I do? Should I just bite the bullet and go through Verizon insurance? I was hoping they can fix it in store at Apple and I can still get AppleCare+.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
oh man that sucks! i think you can still add AppleCare+. assuming that you can then you can turn in a claim not too long after that

hopefully someone can chime in if this is correct. good luck!

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple Care has to be added in the store at purchase. Always do before and not after, but what is done is done....

You can how ever add Apple care 30 days I think after purchase, but you have to bring it into the store and have them check over it, to be able to enroll in a plan.

Example, you buy a iPad and decide not to get Apple care at the point of sale. But later the next week you still can add it. Just have to go to store so they can make sure the device is not broken.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I say go through Verizon.
Dittos. Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage is essentially the same as AppleCare+ and the TEC covers loss/theft, where AppleCare+ does not - having AppleCare+ and TEC is kind of redundant... AppleCare+ has a $49 "deductible" while TEC's deductible is $169/199 depending on iPhone model/size... but seeing as you don't have AppleCare, Verizon is the way to go...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
OP if you are paying for insurance from Verizon there isn't much reason to buy more insurance from Apple. That's like buying State Farm and then All State insurance for the same car.

Use the insurance you are already paying for from Verizon.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You can add applecare + before 30 days after purchase. I called and had them add it about a week after I purchased the 5.

Sent from my Nexus 4

docd62

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I believe if you have apple fix the screen it is 199. If they fix it you should still be able to get it from apple. Heck they might go ahead and let you get the apple care and fix the screen for the 50 deductible. If it doesn't work out at apple you still have Verizon insurance to fall back on.

RicHerdez

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
you can add apple care up to 30 days after purchase by calling apple and then it is up to the discretion of the rep whether or not you have to take it in to have it looked at at an apple store.

sad to see you busted the screen but at least you have TEC from vzw to cover it.

Hot94Z28

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I was able to call apple and get AppleCare+ over the phone this was 29 days after purchase. I told them I live 50 miles to the closest apple store and they let me get it over the phone.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

aubreyq

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Ouch! :eek: Sorry to hear that, Ashwee. I got an iPhone 5 two weeks ago. Believe me, I was treating it like a piece of crystal the first few days while deciding what case to buy. What I did was buy a relatively inexpensive case at Wal-Mart to hold me over. Coincidentially I later bought a case at Wal-Mart (the Case Mate Tough Xtreme) that I never stumbled upon my Amazon searches. I will return the inexpensive case because I'm not satisfied with it. BTW, I'm extremely satisfied with my Case Mate Tough Xtreme and no, I don't work for Case Mate or anything like that :)

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My girlfriend left her phone on the trunk of her car and drove for awhile and finally fell off and her brother saw it fly off and the car behind ran over it. She took it to apple and told the truth and they replaced it for free and the phone was way past the one year warranty. Try going to apple and see what they can do for you.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Like others have suggested, I would go Apple first and see what they are willing to do. What do you have to lose? You always have the Verizon insurance to fall back on.

josh44#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yep. The best thing to do is take to an Apple store if possible, tell them exactly what happened and they will most likely take care of you.

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I added AppleCare + to my iPhone 2 weeks after purchase through Verizon. Over the phone called apple and payed and got email with my policy number. Use the apple store app and call, not store but the toll free number. They just asked me that there was no water damage

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Cracked mine within 48 hours of getting my iPhone 5. Haven't had it fixed yet but keeping it intact in an OtterBox Defender so it doesn't crack anymore. I feel your pain tho.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk 2

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Dittos. Verizon's Total Equipment Coverage is essentially the same as AppleCare+ and the TEC covers loss/theft, where AppleCare+ does not - having AppleCare+ and TEC is kind of redundant... AppleCare+ has a $49 "deductible" while TEC's deductible is $169/199 depending on iPhone model/size... but seeing as you don't have AppleCare, Verizon is the way to go...

The $49 deductible is only for accidental damage, not any warranty work. You probably meant that but it wasn't specified - some have said it's for everything and it's not. You also only get 2 of the $49 "I broke it" repairs within the coverage period.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73