Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Laelipoo
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default What does iOS 6 and iCloud cache? Why does it save information after reset?

I did a hard reset on my iPhone 5. I restored and setup as new. But some stuff from my old phone are still there, such as my keyboard shortcuts, my stocks, my sports app remembers my favorite teams etc.
    note: I deleted all prior iCloud backups
    Does anybody know why this happens?

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: What does iOS 6 and iCloud cache? Why does it save information after reset?

Do you have any other iOS devices you were signed into? Some things use iCloud Sync, which would explain how the keyboard shortcuts and some app data came back. Keyboard shortcuts natively sync between iDevices you are signed into, and so do a few other apps.
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
    SeanHRCC and JustMe'D like this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: What does iOS 6 and iCloud cache? Why does it save information after reset?

I do not have any other iOS devices, this iPhone is the only one I have.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

The sports app is sportacular by yahoo, stocks is the one that comes with the phone. But I also play subway surfers, and it didn't save my game data
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    Do you have any other iOS devices you were signed into? Some things use iCloud Sync, which would explain how the keyboard shortcuts and some app data came back. Keyboard shortcuts natively sync between iDevices you are signed into, and so do a few other apps.
    This...depending on the devices you had sync'ed together, there is a very high likelihood your iPhone will pull preferences from other areas, and you also have some app data saved on servers and in game center, so those may have also contributed to the situation (if the apps you were referring to were games...im sure non-game apps do the same thing at times too).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Phisabeast View Post
    The sports app is sportacular by yahoo, stocks is the one that comes with the phone. But I also play subway surfers, and it didn't save my game data
    Yahoo's sports app saves it's own information on the Yahoo servers (just like the fantasy football app does), so when you sign into it, it'll be on there. The game is most likely the same situation (or like mentioned, perhaps in "Game Center").

Given you don't have any other iOS devices to pull preferences from, I'm not sure why phone specific stuff would still be there.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Nanite

A- I was not signed into yahoo sportacular. There isn't even an option to sign on
    B- the game did not pull information from Game Center, I had to start from the beginning
    C- why does stocks and keyboard shortcuts come back every time I restore and log into apple ID?

Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default What does iOS 6 and iCloud cache? Why does it save information after reset?

They're probably saved to apple's servers and automatically download when you log in. Just a guess mind you.

iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iPhone Nanite

Thanks for all the answers. It doesn't look like anybody has a answer that's for sure