i like my iPhone 5. how does it compare with samsung galaxy 34 ? which one is better and why ?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
I like the holographic projector TV on the GS34, the iPhone 5 can't even compare to it..

That being said, I bought a GS3 at the end of October, returned it 2 weeks later and got the iPhone 5.

Reasons I did so were because of no Jellybean update, flimsy hardware, and i missed the Apple/iTunes ecosystem as I've had an Apple phone for 4.5 years now. I only had a few issue's with Android, was hoping to see if they were fixed in Jellybean but it never got rolled out from AT&T in time for me to try it out. Even so, I really loved how many features Android has out of the box that you need to jailbreak an iPhone to get, going to a stock iOS device after two weeks on Android really showed iOS's age, it truly is dated, and missing many many features still compared to Android, no matter what fanboy apologists say, iOS is sorely in need of a huge update. At the rate Google is improving Android, I fear they will race away from Apple if Apple doesn't start innovating and improving things at a faster than glacial pace.

Where Samsung fails and Apple excels is in hardware, the GS3 is made of thin flimsy plastic, and the buttons are far too easy to press, I kept having my volume turning up or down in my pocket just from sitting down or standing up, never had that happen with an iPhone.

At this point I wouldn't switch going either way, if you have an older Android device I'd definitely upgrade to the GS3, One X, or another flagship Android phone, and if you have a older iPhone, the 5 is a no brainer, better in every way, and will be much better once the jailbreak is released so we can put all its speed and power to use finally.

iRy757

May 14, 2012
Visit site
This is a subjective opinion and nothing more.

The second half of my statement is indeed an opinion, no one was denying that. I don't like the Android OS at all, never have, I think it's weak and unstable, I'm willing to put it out there. But the first half of my statement was based off of statistics that I've seen personally in my Verizon store, which is not opinion, but merely a fact conducted by experience.

CrackedBarry

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
This is coming from somebody who is in the process of switching over from Android to iOS devices.
I've tried most high end Android products, tablets included, and my last phones have been HTC OneX and Samsung Galaxy S2/S3...

The hardware on the SGS3 is alright. Comparable to an iphone5. The screen might be a little worse, the camera might be a little worse, but overall it's in the same class, if you know what I mean...

The problem is Android itself. No matter what Andeoid phone you get, you will have the same issues and problems, since Android is just not as good an OS as iOS is. (Originally Android was meant for a completely different type phone, as well as for a general purpose OS. Unfortunately some functional trade offs had to be made, and Android users are still paying for that.)

On every Android phone I've had, quad core or not, there is lag. You might notice it a little less some times, some times it's worse, but even with a quad core phone, its still there. (This is one of the things that is always supposed to be fixed in the next version, but never is).

They also seem to crash more often than iOS devices, and the crashes usually are more severe and require a reboot.

Batterylife is awful. I've had phones die on me after 4-5 hours use. Both the SGS3 and One X handsets required a mid day battery charging to make it through the day for me.

Widgets... I didn't notice this before I quit Android, but you do t really need them on iOS. Android owners need them however, you know why? Cause the batterylife is so awful, they always need to turn the wifi and Bluetooth on and off to make it through the day, with a iphone you just don't need to worry about stuff like that. The music player is also so well designed and integrated that you don't really need widgets.

Software: Android software is consistently worse than iOS software, and nine times out of ten either doesn't come out for Android, or you have to wait around for a port. That situation is slowly improving, but the ugly truth is that the vast majority of the time, the iPhone apps are just better. Even when it just seems to be a straight port of sorts, I blame the underlying architecture of Android for the fact that Android apps are usually slower, uglier, crash more and lag.

And Android itself... There are so many things that don't feel right. The back button doesn't really work, and there have been so many different design languages that most apps use an older look, so the end result is a convoluted mess.

That's been my experience with the Galaxy phones, anyways. Hope you can use it.

Alexan81

Banned
Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
This is coming from somebody who is in the process of switching over from Android to iOS devices.
I've tried most high end Android products, tablets included, and my last phones have been HTC OneX and Samsung Galaxy S2/S3...

The hardware on the SGS3 is alright. Comparable to an iphone5. The screen might be a little worse, the camera might be a little worse, but overall it's in the same class, if you know what I mean...

The problem is Android itself. No matter what Andeoid phone you get, you will have the same issues and problems, since Android is just not as good an OS as iOS is. (Originally Android was meant for a completely different type phone, as well as for a general purpose OS. Unfortunately some functional trade offs had to be made, and Android users are still paying for that.)

On every Android phone I've had, quad core or not, there is lag. You might notice it a little less some times, some times it's worse, but even with a quad core phone, its still there. (This is one of the things that is always supposed to be fixed in the next version, but never is).

They also seem to crash more often than iOS devices, and the crashes usually are more severe and require a reboot.

Batterylife is awful. I've had phones die on me after 4-5 hours use. Both the SGS3 and One X handsets required a mid day battery charging to make it through the day for me.

Widgets... I didn't notice this before I quit Android, but you do t really need them on iOS. Android owners need them however, you know why? Cause the batterylife is so awful, they always need to turn the wifi and Bluetooth on and off to make it through the day, with a iphone you just don't need to worry about stuff like that. The music player is also so well designed and integrated that you don't really need widgets.

Software: Android software is consistently worse than iOS software, and nine times out of ten either doesn't come out for Android, or you have to wait around for a port. That situation is slowly improving, but the ugly truth is that the vast majority of the time, the iPhone apps are just better. Even when it just seems to be a straight port of sorts, I blame the underlying architecture of Android for the fact that Android apps are usually slower, uglier, crash more and lag.

And Android itself... There are so many things that don't feel right. The back button doesn't really work, and there have been so many different design languages that most apps use an older look, so the end result is a convoluted mess.

That's been my experience with the Galaxy phones, anyways. Hope you can use it.

Very helpful reply
Right on the money 👏👏👏👍📱

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Actually the last paragraph is indicating that s3 is doing better than 5

In the end, really, it doesn't matter. Coke could outsell Pepsi 10 to 1 but if you like Coke you'll likely drink......Coke.

It's no different here. It's been said more times than likely necessary but it's true: whatever phone works best for you, is best for you.

And I think you know all of this already. But for real, no one (not you Alexan per se) should ever seek out a forum to "help me decide what phone to get". Forums for general questions? You bet. But to decide which phone is better? Head down to the phone store and start playing. Only way. End rant :)

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is a dumb phone masquerading as a smartphone when compared to Jelly Bean phones. There is a reason my 78 year-old father can use a iPhone.... any one remember Microsoft BOB?

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Product simplicity is not necessarily a bad thing

Actually it can be considered a positive edge in competition

So if you get a pdf file emailed to you and want to "simply" open said pdf file in an app like GoodReader, but cant..... would that be called a positive edge?

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5 is a dumb phone masquerading as a smartphone when compared to Jelly Bean phones. There is a reason my 78 year-old father can use a iPhone.... any one remember Microsoft BOB?

Lol......was this thread getting too boring for you?? Why you gotta go and stir the pot like that?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro