Can't change mail alert tone

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Also can't change ringtone, both are stuck on 'Marimba'. It is a new iPhone 5 that I got my wife for Christmas to replace her 4. When she set it up she did a restore from backup and not a setup as new when she plugged it into her MBP with iTunes. I tried it on my 4s and it worked as designed but doing the same technique on her 5 they don't change.

Any ideas? Should she have set it up as new rather then restore from backup? Do ya think we should try a restore now? Other than that glitch it looks and works excellent. We already tried a reset and also turned off and back on.

Thanks!

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi Alli,

I couldn't find a setting to change a contacts sound for emails. I did try text tone and ring tone and they worked fine. It seems to be only the default email tone that is stubborn. All the poor woman wants is a ding but we can't seem to get there from here. :)

Jeff

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Seems very strange that you can change your ringtones, but not email. You might want to try restoring as new to make sure it works, and then restore your backup.

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, we'll try that sometime today Alli and let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Jeff

jf1450

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
Just closing the loop. I'm in software development so I know strange things happen. I sent her a test email this morning and heard "ding"! It fixed itself, only God and Steve know how. :). I'm not going to change it just to see what happens, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Thanks much for your advice!

Jeff

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Haha!! Somehow that figures. I find that 8 out of 10 times, just doing a reset solves whatever the problem is. (This surprises many of my customers, but it shouldn't!)

Glad it's all working.

TaraLynn7

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I cannot change my ringtone for incoming calls. I can pick and choose for everything else but not an incoming call. The phone is only 2 months old .. It frustrating considering the cost of a phone
Can anyone help? I do appreciate your time. Ps. I have tried a soft reset already.

Tara

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I cannot change my ringtone for incoming calls. I can pick and choose for everything else but not an incoming call. The phone is only 2 months old .. It frustrating considering the cost of a phone
Can anyone help? I do appreciate your time. Ps. I have tried a soft reset already.

Tara
Settings>Sounds>Tap Ringtones>Select Ringtone. Now go to Settings>Notifications>Phone>Check that the same Ringtone is set. <---This did not work? You said you tried a "soft reset". Did you try a hard reset? Hold both the top power button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release. Note: Be sure you select a Ringtone for calls, and not a text alert tone. Can you change the Ringtone for individual contacts?

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods