Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Default Searching For Text Message Recipients Issue

When I go into my texts and use the search box, and search for one particular contact only, nothing shows up for him. Even though I know I have texts from him.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, have the same issue, and/or know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    19,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The message(s) from that particular contact *should* be located *if* it or they have not been deleted. Have you tried searching via the spotlight search? From the default homescreen, swipe the screen to the right. You will see a search field. Enter that person's name.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Yeah, doesn't show up in the spotlight search or the search from the text message app itself. It's strange because it is just one friend. Even where another friend mentioned his name, that text thread shows up. Just not the thread where he has text me. It's odd.

Global Posts
    19,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That is strange. Have you confirmed that the message is indeed still on your device? Is it an iMessage or a regular SMS message? If its an iMessage and if you have another device such as an iPad, iPod Touch or a Mac that is capable of sending and receiving iMessages, initiate the iMessage app and see if the message will display and be found via a search on that device.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Yeah, it is still on the device. I made sure not to delete it so I could test it out. It is definitely still there. It is a regular text message, not iMessage. It's just really weird because he is the only one that I've noticed this with.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Anyone ever seen this before or know of anything that could be causing it...or how to fix it?
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameo View Post
    Just not the thread where he has text me. It's odd.
    Huh?
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,776 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wildo, as a test restart your phone and try again.

Also if that fails go to your contacts and verify EXACTLY how you have that person listed. Then perform a search for the first name of that person from the text message screen.

If that fails, ask your friend to send you a test text message and then try the search again.

I wonder if for some reason that message wasn't indexed.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Wildo, as a test restart your phone and try again.

Also if that fails go to your contacts and verify EXACTLY how you have that person listed. Then perform a search for the first name of that person from the text message screen.

If that fails, ask your friend to send you a test text message and then try the search again.

I wonder if for some reason that message wasn't indexed.
    I've done all of that. This has been going on for a month or so. It's just really strange that it's only one person. It isn't the biggest deal in the world, just enough to make me want to figure out how to fix it.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,776 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Change that persons name in the address book. And have them send another message and perform said search.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (12-29-2012)
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Change that persons name in the address book. And have them send another message and perform said search.
    Roger. I'll check it out and report back.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Ok, so I deleted all texts from him, deleted him as a contact, added him back in, had him text me and still nothing.

It's just enough to drive me crazy. Hate when I can't figure something like this out.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Looks like I figured it out. Not sure why this affected one contact, but this is what I did:

Went into Settings>General>Spotlight Search and reorganized where things would show up, turned off and on Messages, and bam! Now it works again.

Strange but it worked.

Global Posts
    19,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Looks like I figured it out. Not sure why this affected one contact, but this is what I did:

Went into Settings>General>Spotlight Search and reorganized where things would show up, turned off and on Messages, and bam! Now it works again.

Strange but it worked.
    As always, the simplest of actions are the ones that fixes the problem. Anyway, I'm glad you got it figured out, my friend. Job well done. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 12-29-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (12-29-2012)
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,016 Global Posts

Yeah, of course it was an easy fix. I've been messing with this for a month! Thanks to you guys who chimed in to help!
    JustMe'D likes this.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,776 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Nicely done!
    Thanked by:
    Wildo6882 (12-29-2012)

Global Posts
    19,239 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    Yeah, of course it was an easy fix. I've been messing with this for a month! Thanks to you guys who chimed in to help!
    (Laughing)...That's usually how it is...
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Searching For Text Message Recipients Issue

I've been having the same issue, however what I'm finding is that the sms search box is only searching through the text found in my messages and not the contact names, it's been happening for a few weeks now. This is so strange and it's driving me crazy as I text with hundreds of people for work.
    iPhone Nanite

I actually have the same problem even the previous tip of resetting the spotlight search aint working
    iPhone Nanite

Hi there,

Anyone get this issue figured out? A couple things that may help troubleshoot...

- I found that it happened sometime 6.1
    - In the Messages app, I search for a message by the first name, and nothing shows up... even though I can see the message in the list. If that name is mentioned in the body of other messages, then those messages show up.
    - There is no issue in Spotlight... the messages, while searching by the first name, show up just fine.
    - Can't figure out why this happens in some cases and not in others. Haven't been able to narrow this down, but I think that it's having trouble searching for iMessage recipients. Almost like the index for all recipients that have iMessage in my phone is broken.

Any ideas? Been a couple frustrating months with this issue.

-Fauzi
    iPhone Nanite

I've been having the same problem as above. I feel it has something to do with unified contacts but I can be for sure. But it is very annoying now that I can't search for a text message string from a friend and now have to scroll through and find that person in the messages list to reread a text message chain.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts

Having this exact same problem... Anyone have a solution? Resetting spotlight search options didn't work.
    iPhone Nanite

I just started having this problem last week, and I have been updated forever. Why now? Any fixes? I have an iPhone 4
    iPhone Nanite

I am also experiencing this problem since last week. I didn't change any settings on my phone. It just suddenly happened. Hope this can be fixed soon
    iPhone Nanite

I've been having the same issue for several weeks. On my iPhone 4s when I do a search from within messages for a name or for text it always pulls up one set of texts, but it isn't the one I'm looking for. For example, I'll type in "John" and it will bring back messages from Jessie. I suppose we may have mentioned John somewhere in the history of our texting, but the better reply would have been my texts WITH John.

If I scroll manually through my history, I can find my texts from John, but the search feature can no longer locate him.

I spent some time going through my history deleting a lot of texts, and restarted my phone, but the problem is persisting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast