iPhone won't turn on

robyj

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, this morning when I woke up my iPhone 5 wouldn't turn on even after being plugged in overnight. It hasn't got wet, overheated, or dropped. It's weird because I've never had this problem and I talked on my phone just before I went to bed.

If this is something I cannot resolve on my own, do you recommend me going to Verizon or apple?

Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When a weird occurrence happens like this, and you're obviously still under warranty since its an iPhone 5, it's always better to take it to the Apple store and let them figure it out (and give you a replacement)...i would NEVER recommend taking it to the carrier, I'd recommend you sending it via mail to Apple before taking it to Verizon, but that's just me.

That said, are you sure that the cord was properly seated or that it was properly plugged into a power source? I plugged my iPhone in one night when it was at like 2% battery power left and unfortunately, i didn't check to make sure it was actually charging, i woke up...phone was completely dead, but it did show the dead battery icon on the screen when i attempted to turn it on (does yours do that?)

Most likely you have a bad iPhone, but there is a chance you just have a bad cord, or that it wasn't connected properly...

robyj

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the fast reply. Yes the cord was plugged in properly and then I even tried another power cord, still no luck.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
If you went through 2 power cords it's a pretty safe bet you have some kind of hardware issue with the phone...time to make a genius bar appointment.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
This exact incident happened to me on Christmas morning. When I woke up at 6am my iPhone 5 was dead. No signs of life! Had to use an old blackberry curve for the day. Went to apple Wednesday morning at 8am. I had no appointment and I got lucky because they where taking walk ins on this day. Within 15 minutes I was out of there with a new phone. The bad phone's battery went dead and the logic board went out too. Gotta love apple. And gotta love iCloud.

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk

crazy_star

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you're lucky, it's an issue with the power button. In any case, like somebody else already stated - your phone is clearly under warranty so just replace it at Apple.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen as well and holding the power and home button down for 15 - 20 seconds brought it back to life. Saw this on both my iPhone 3G and 4S ...

eemathews

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
This post just saved me a trip the the Apple Store. :) Thanks! My iPhone 5 did this today and I tried everything to get it to turn back on until i saw this post.

_YoKolorMeBadd

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, this morning when I woke up my iPhone 5 wouldn't turn on even after being plugged in overnight. It hasn't got wet, overheated, or dropped. It's weird because I've never had this problem and I talked on my phone just before I went to bed.

If this is something I cannot resolve on my own, do you recommend me going to Verizon or apple?

Thanks

Did you ever get it to work?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You see, there is this ill advised "satisfaction" (for lack of better term) when an issue like this arrises and you do the hard reset and it disappears...could it be permanently fixed afterwards? Sure...but what about if the issue creeps up later down the road, let's say after the initial warranty is expired and you don't have Apple Care +...then what? I'd rather Apple replace my device with one that never has this issue than be stuck with one that i have to restart because of it down the road.

If Apple replaces phones that are brought in with issues for ones that have none, why not do it?