Can't quite pull the trigger

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Long time android user here but I'm leaving that OS. Android has a ton of great features, especially now, but there are just too many dealbreakers for me. Trying to find an android with non-flimsy outer casings, expandable storage, fast OS updates, lack of OEM and carrier bloat and update delays, and LTE all on the same single phone is proving to be a frustrating exercise in futility and I've reached the end of my patience. My long held scorn for Apple's proprietary walled garden has finally crumbled after setting up my daughter's new iPhone5 and my father's new iPad. IOS isn't exciting or pretty but I've immediately noticed the quality of the apps built for them compared to mine. The only thing that's stopped me from pulling the trigger is my dislike for iPhone multitasking. Once bb10 goes live, iOS will officially have the oldest UI of everyone, even WP8. So far my hopes are resting with the z10 now. My fear though resides not in the apps launching with bb10. My fear is whether there will be enough interest in bb10 over the long term to motivate the developers of those apps to keep them updated, as well as motivating developers of newer apps for come aboard after launch instead of just iPhone and Android.

The reason that scares me is that I've already witnessed that exact thing happening to WP8. Developers for apps that were in WP7 are not sticking around for WP8 and that's been cause enough for a few posts over at wpcentral in complaint. But I still have doubts as you can see. It's just the thought of constantly messing with that little square home button to move between tasks and apps. I've already grown tired of that on my Android and don't know if I can do it again on another OS. Even Android have seriously updated the multitasking Window that appears when you long press the home button. Maybe there's an app that allows you to circumvent the home button in the app store? By putting something in the notification bar instead? I have no idea.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
We all have opinions...none of which will matter to you or anyone else really when it comes down to picking the phone that works best for you. It would seem you're looking forward to BB10, and if that's the case, good luck...i have nothing to really base this on factually, but I'm almost positive that Blackberry will continue on as a major corporate phone maker, but that BB10 will not resurrect this company into the consumer world again like it once was...I've said this a hundred times but nothing diverted my attention away from BB10 more than the fact that in the middle of development, RIM almost pulled the plug and went with an Android OS. If that doesn't scream lack of faith in their own product, i don't know what would.

The Windows phones are suffering from coming to the party under-prepared. The Lumia phones are fantastic new comers, and they offer some very handsome features and hardware, but they just came undermanned to a game where you have to essentially come in swinging...they came in a bit limp wristed and their biggest phone releases were a bit lack luster all around (not in performance, but in popularity and sales wise after the initial pre-orders were filled).

iOS is perfect to me...minimalistic but at the same time clean and precise. I can't stand gadgets like found on many Android handsets...drive me insane and just make the phone feel gimmicky and cluttered. We probably differ in opinion there, but i prefer the clean and simple OS, to me it IS beautiful in that it isn't cluttered and chaotic.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Sean, iOS may be a bit boring compared to Android but really it's functionality and quality that I value most now.

I started out with the original iPhone the went to blackberry and eventually Android to satiate my fix for customizability then eventually it got old and annoying flashing roms and kernels to get better battery life.

So I traded my Galaxy Nexus for an iPhone 4 to hold me over till the 5 came out and I couldn't be happier to be back on iOS.

As for blackberry even when App World was introduced there was such a lack of apps it was embarrassing, BB10 looks sleek and innovative but if WP8 is having trouble keeping devs around I wouldn't expect them to show much longevity with BB10.

Like Sean said though its up to you to figure out what device works best for you.

Good Luck!!

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
iOS is perfect to me...minimalistic but at the same time clean and precise. I can't stand gadgets like found on many Android handsets...drive me insane and just make the phone feel gimmicky and cluttered. We probably differ in opinion there, but i prefer the clean and simple OS, to me it IS beautiful in that it isn't cluttered and chaotic.

Everything that Sean said in his post is spot on but his last paragraph is pretty much sums up how I feel about iOS. I had an Android (went to an S3, returned it within a week, now on the i5) as stated, I was going crazy not knowing where things are. It is your choice. YOU know what you want.

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I mean I'm not going to sit here and convince you to get an iPhone. They work well for some people, for others, Android is best. It's all about what you are doing on the phone and your personal taste.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I might switch to BB10 also. There are many things I still miss about the BB.

My rationale for going iPhone 5 was that BB10 is still 30 to 90 days away and I can sell the iPhone for top dollar and pay outright for the BB is I want. Love the 5 even more than the 4s.

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I mean I'm not going to sit here and convince you to get an iPhone. They work well for some people, for others, Android is best. It's all about what you are doing on the phone and your personal taste.

The thing currently frustrating me about Android is that Canadian carriers don't carry ALL the newer androids from every manufacturer on every carrier, so I can't always get the one I want most unless I buy outright for $600+

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have another question, as nice as device as I think the iPhone5 is, I'm not very happy with the sharing options. Currently with Android you can pull up any media you have, long press it, and are given the option to share it with any app you have. So for a picture in my gallery for example I can do this:
9e5u8ane.jpg

Scrolled for more:
veqame5y.jpg

I know iOS allows this sharing function for email, messages and twitter, but is there a way to be able to imitate this Android functionality on the iPhone to allow for all the other options?

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I have another question, as nice as device as I think the iPhone5 is, I'm not very happy with the sharing options. Currently with Android you can pull up any media you have, long press it, and are given the option to share it with any app you have. So for a picture in my gallery for example I can do this:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/01/9e5u8ane.jpg
Scrolled for more:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/01/veqame5y.jpg

I know iOS allows this sharing function for email, messages and twitter, but is there a way to be able to imitate this Android functionality on the iPhone to allow for all the other options?

There are a few mode options for sharing photos now via iOS. Visit a local carrier shop and play with the iPhone 4S or 5 running iOS 6.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
There are many things I still miss about the BB.
http://www.wengmj.com/1a3.jpg

Meeting requests, general calendar support for exchange accounts, contact management and categories, email management, sound profile management, context menus on almost any item, unified inbox beyond email, ability to forward a voicemail as a sound file, etc.

Love the iPhone and love iOS, appreciate what BB offers also. I like Android as well. I loved loading new ROM's. Obviously the iPhone won out for me and I have stuck with it. It has many advantages.

What I hope is BB10 keeps what I miss and loved about BB and closes the gap in many other areas. Not dissing the iPhone, just stating my view.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Looking at that grouping of sharing options you have pictured, and not looking up the few that I've never used, i know that iOS can share to 90% of those that you posted. I guess i don't understand what you're looking for iOS to imitate since it can, in fact, do exactly what you're asking for.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking at that grouping of sharing options you have pictured, and not looking up the few that I've never used, i know that iOS can share to 90% of those that you posted. I guess i don't understand what you're looking for iOS to imitate since it can, in fact, do exactly what you're asking for.

Agreed! It's just the process for sharing that changes. Instead of having all sharing options listed in a menu like the screenshots you would simply open the app you would like to share the picture with and access your camera roll from there.

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
Had a Crackberry for work and an Iphone for personal use. When I retired I literally went thru Crackberry withdrawal but got used to using the iphone for everything. I got bored with it last month and got a wild hair to try the Galaxy Note 2. I really liked the bigger screen and sort of liked playing around with Android but just couldn't find all the apps I needed to use it like my Iphone 5. IOS just works and most apps are developed for it first. Case in point, I love Agenda on the iPhone as well as Tweetbot. Agenda was announced this week for Android, I figure they might announce Tweetbot for it as well and I'll be second guessing my decision to return the Note 2. Oh well, the good news is we phone geeks have new devices to try. I will say Android has came a long way since I tried 1 last and may be passing IOS soon if Apple doesn't step up their game. Good luck with your selection, I feel your pain.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I had DROID phones prior to my Iphone 4. I then decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S3 in September. I have been battling the battery does not last long enough issue and the keyboard is awkward. I am on the fence as to whether I want to pay full retail for an Iphone 5 or keep my S3. There are a lot of things that the S3 does that the Iphone5 does not have. The Iphone 5 on the other hand is a more stable IOS and is more responsive.

The IOS chains you to Itunes as well and that irks me. However, I still have a Mac and an Ipad and the apps for my Ipad are superior to the Android. Overall I was very pleased with the Android interface as I feel I can organize things better as opposed to having nothing but folders and icons.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I had DROID phones prior to my Iphone 4. I then decided to get a Samsung Galaxy S3 in September. I have been battling the battery does not last long enough issue and the keyboard is awkward. I am on the fence as to whether I want to pay full retail for an Iphone 5 or keep my S3. There are a lot of things that the S3 does that the Iphone5 does not have. The Iphone 5 on the other hand is a more stable IOS and is more responsive.

The IOS chains you to Itunes as well and that irks me. However, I still have a Mac and an Ipad and the apps for my Ipad are superior to the Android. Overall I was very pleased with the Android interface as I feel I can organize things better as opposed to having nothing but folders and icons.

Based on your post, it may be better if you not fork up the money for the iPhone and just use your S3 since it is sufficient for your smartphone use. Besides, you did say that you already have a Mac and an iPad so, in my opinion, you have the best of both worlds.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit