Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Which Storage Size Should I get?

Hello,

I am looking to go back to an iPhone. I will be getting the iPhone 5 but I do not know what size.

I have about 2500 songs and it will be expanding slowly (I think), I don't watch movies and will likely not be recording anything. I do take alot of pictures, but I usually sync them and keep only a few pictures on until I take new ones. I don't download too many games but you never know. I do use social networking apps though, 10 maybe?

I am torn between 32gb and 64gb.

I am coming from a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I have owned a iPhone many times, but I don't remember how much space is taken from 32gb automatically (other, etc).

Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Get the largest your budget can afford... larger models have the best resale value later...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Get a 64gb! I think this will satisfy you in terms of your needs.

Global Posts
    7,230 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Get the largest your budget can afford... larger models have the best resale value later...
    Agreed. But it sounds like the 32 would probably cover your needs. The OS takes up about 5-6 GB.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Why are you leaving the SGS3?

Sent from my iPhone 7
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Re: Which Storage Size Should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    Why are you leaving the SGS3?

Sent from my iPhone 7
    I kind of miss the iPhone and what it has to offer. Yes I LOVE Android absolutely, especially the Samsung Galaxy series, but I feel like switching back to iPhone for now.

Both have Pro's and Con's, but I want a change for now. I always switch my phones out, and I've had alot of phones, but I'm excited to try out the iPhone 5 .
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Agreed. But it sounds like the 32 would probably cover your needs. The OS takes up about 5-6 GB.
    IOS takes up 2.5 GB on my phone.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

64gb IMO. 2500 songs is a lot! Plus you're gonna take pictures and the other apps.

Go with 64gb
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

It's always better to have too much storage and not need it than too little storage and run out.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,036 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Looks like 32 GB might be good for you, however, if you have the money go for the 64GB model. The reason is if 32 is small for your needs you are stuck with it
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

I always get the largest one (64gb). You'll find a way to use it all if you have a lot of music etc. Resale value is better too.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Thank you all for your help and opinions

I have went for the 64gb . Better to be safe than sorry!
    iPhone Nanite

Man, I got my iPhone 5 in a hurry cuz my mom needed my 4S after her phone had a run in with the washing machine. So now I'm stuck with a 16 GB and it is miserable.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    584 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Gutierrez View Post
    Man, I got my iPhone 5 in a hurry cuz my mom needed my 4S after her phone had a run in with the washing machine. So now I'm stuck with a 16 GB and it is miserable.
    This is my situation but I'm currently looking for at least a 32 though I have found that where I live people sell 64s for about $20 more than 32s so why not grab double the space?
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

I currently have a 16gb. I only have 2gb of save left. This is terrible. I think I might trade my 16 in for a 32 gb
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Double post
    iMore Beginner

It's true to get what you can afford,because resale plus never hurts to have extra room! I have my 5 in a 32 and don't even use 16gb but at least ill never run out my so also uses about 2.5 gb I never heard of 5-6 on a so but who knows also I got a 32 on my ipad 4 and I'm wanting to return it before my time is up!

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    22,467 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan2677 View Post
    It's true to get what you can afford,because resale plus never hurts to have extra room! I have my 5 in a 32 and don't even use 16gb but at least ill never run out my so also uses about 2.5 gb I never heard of 5-6 on a so but who knows also I got a 32 on my ipad 4 and I'm wanting to return it before my time is up!

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD
    I agree to a point. I also think that if you know that you will not be using even close to 16 gigs of data, it doesn't make sense to waste money on the extra storage space. I mean, under that circumstance, you already have more than you need.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahND View Post
    I kind of miss the iPhone and what it has to offer. Yes I LOVE Android absolutely, especially the Samsung Galaxy series, but I feel like switching back to iPhone for now.

Both have Pro's and Con's, but I want a change for now. I always switch my phones out, and I've had alot of phones, but I'm excited to try out the iPhone 5 .
    Ha.....I am in the same boat. Yesterday I finally got fed up with the S3 and will be ordering a White Iphone 5. I was trying to decide on the capacity myself. When I looked at the resale value on Gazelle for a 32gb verses the 64gb, it was only $30 more as opposed to when you buy a new one and the price difference is $100. Something to consider, is Itunes Match which places all your music on the cloud and then when you want to listen to it, you will stream it from the cloud therefore reducing the size requirement. For me, I have about 200 songs in my collection. About 2 years ago, I purchased an Iphone 4 and got the minimum which I believe was 16gb. It was sufficient for my needs since I had Itunes Match. I also must admit that I am audiophile and with iTunes Match, the audio quality was superior to when I locally stored my music.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts

Yes larger models have better resale value, but that is kind of expected considering they are 100 dollars more expensive in the first place. lol
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tech_fan View Post
    Ha.....I am in the same boat. Yesterday I finally got fed up with the S3 and will be ordering a White Iphone 5.
    Why did you get fed up with the S3. Please share your story because I am getting fed up with ours. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 7
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

Its been a combination of a lot of things. I bought the device initially because I missed the widgets and being able to customize it. i started getting upset with it, when the battery would not last me throughout the day so, I constantly found myself trying to conserve battery power. I remember one time when I had car problems and reached to call my wife and the phone battery was in the Red and I had hardly used it that day. It made me furious.

Now my battery life is much better. However, I have changed the rate upon which Facebook and email update. I also have changed the number of email accounts that I sync to the bare minimum. Right now, I sync email once every 8 hours and sync Facebook once per day. Heck, with that many limitations, why do I need a smartphone? I might as well get a non-smartphone.

By the way, I do not dare use Pandora either in the car or listen to, as it drains my battery too fast.

I will miss one thing about the Samsung, which is the predictive text. That was a great feature. Yesterday, I picked up my wife's Iphone 4s and started playing with it and it felt natural.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Sorta in the same boat here,I loved havering a try of the s3 but I think I might go back to a iPhone 5.

Tap'n Like A Boss on my S3
    I used to have a open mind but my brains kept falling out.

iPhone 5 32gb

IPad 3 32gb wifi

Apple TV 2