angermeans

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I've actually found Siri to work very well. All other speech to text apps I've used I've quickly given up on, but Siri I continue to use daily. If seems to do very well. Perhaps the issue (like another person stated) is due to other problems. I know the only time I get rare problems is when I don't have a great data connection or I'm in a loud area.

What exactly are you attempting to get Siri to do? Maybe we could help.

anon(1458)

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm from the south and while at times Siri does have issues understanding my southern drawl/twang, most of the time she does understand me just fine lol

Patricia Henisse

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Siri may work in a large metro area but, generally speaking, her location services suck. All the people who love it are sitting in the center of 14,000 coffee shops and never ask for anything but a cup of coffee. Ask it, "What is the closest photocopy store?" and you get, "I don't find one." So, in the entire US, she can't find even ONE photocopy shop?

Her next move is to ask if you want her to search the web. If you say yes, you get a safari page full of store locator links. If your personal assisted did that you would fire him. The advantage to having siri is to be able to verbally ask a question and get a correct response. If I wanted to do my own online search, I'd do that.

Apple is smiling and saying, "Siri is wonderful, Siri saves time, Siri is the best personal assistant in the world." I guess we all should ignore the fact that it is not. It's too bad, but the iPhone and Apple may very well be nearing the end of their product life. Where's the innovation? Where's the 21st century capabilities? Where are the bells and whistles that are worth the inflated prices good old Apple Inc charges? Perhaps they should spend more time in research and development (and installing some honesty in their marketing) than they spend in court trying to obliterate up-and-coming companies that actually produce products that work and treat their customers honestly.

As for many of the reviews on this page, please stop piling on praise for Siri and saying, "Siri is great! Even in Beta testing." The general public should not be involved in beta testing. The general public should receive a well built final product and the company's appreciation for the purchase. Does Apple cut you a check for debugging Siri? They should. :mad:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Ask it, "What is the closest photocopy store?" and you get, "I don't find one." So, in the entire US, she can't find even ONE photocopy shop?
Gee, instead of such an esoteric search... knowing that such places as Kinkos, Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot exist, and many offer in-house copy shops, I'd search for one of those... but I guess I must be weird that way... smh...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Gee, instead of such an esoteric search... knowing that such places as Kinkos, Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot exist, and many offer in-house copy shops, I'd search for one of those... but I guess I must be weird that way... smh...

I guess I'm weird too. I was thinking the same thing. I just asked where the nearest kinkos is and I got 15 of them. I'm not in a major metro area either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm weird too. I was thinking the same thing. I just asked where the nearest kinkos is and I got 15 of them. I'm not in a major metro area either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to understand the kind of people we're dealing with here when it comes to these complaints...for instance, instead of asking Siri where the nearest Taco Bell is, they'll say something like "I can't believe how stupid Siri is, i asked her "Find a fast food place with flour tortillas and tomatoes with a little sour cream on the tacos" and she couldn't even find Taco Bell...this phone is crap."

Once you realize this is the caliber of people we are primarily dealing with, you'll see that most of us find Siri quite helpful and very intuitive because when we use it, we arn't being dimwits.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
You have to understand the kind of people we're dealing with here when it comes to these complaints...for instance, instead of asking Siri where the nearest Taco Bell is, they'll say something like "I can't believe how stupid Siri is, i asked her "Find a fast food place with flour tortillas and tomatoes with a little sour cream on the tacos" and she couldn't even find Taco Bell...this phone is crap."

Once you realize this is the caliber of people we are primarily dealing with, you'll see that most of us find Siri quite helpful and very intuitive because when we use it, we arn't being dimwits.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I'm neither a cheerleader nor a detractor of Siri.
I love it in the car for dictation and song/playlist selection, but it isn't nearly as wonderful or magical as Apple commercials would have me believe.

I've asked it many questions where it's answers make me think "If you were a human, people would call you stupid."
If I have to phrase my question in a certain way, or can only ask it certain questions, then it's not intuitive or natural.
It's a work in progress that I hope will get better.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I'm neither a cheerleader nor a detractor of Siri.
I love it in the car for dictation and song/playlist selection, but it isn't nearly as wonderful or magical as Apple commercials would have me believe.

I've asked it many questions where it's answers make me think "If you were a human, people would call you stupid."
If I have to phrase my question in a certain way, or can only ask it certain questions, then it's not intuitive or natural.

Apple commercials are marketing...and marketing's sole purpose is to make you want a product. Nothing is marketed by highlighting features while also pointing out potential "issues" you might encounter. Apple is a business, and it's in the world to make money while giving us a product they hope we like enough to come back for more.

Siri is a learning software...and she has advanced even since the 4S was released, she has become more intuitive and now includes an even broader understanding of what we want and what we ask for. "Work in progress" is a way to present a negative tone to the unfinished nature on what the software really is, and that is a constantly evolving, future proof software. You can never be "Complete" with a software that constantly learns, that would be like calling a newborn a "work in progress" because they couldn't walk or talk right out of the womb. They could have made the product work extremely well for a year, and then become completely irrelevant the next...satisfying users all the way up to the point of quick obscurity. Apple didn't want to do that, they wanted a feature that progresses with their hardware.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Apple commercials are marketing...and marketing's sole purpose is to make you want a product. Nothing is marketed by highlighting features while also pointing out potential "issues" you might encounter.

Symptoms may include:
Baying at the moon, incontinence, premature ejacaculation, violent psychosis, an uncontrollable urge to hum the theme song from two and a half men, projectile halitosis...

The pharmacuetical industry being a notable exception.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm just the opposite. I find that I have to slow down so that Siri can catch everything I'm saying and not what she thinks I'm saying.

I have a southern accent. She apparently is a Yankee. I have that same problem.

However, she has gotten better over time.

Only time I've had this problem is when I ask her what the weather will be like. She's specific. If I ask what the low temp will be tonight, she gives me the temp up until 11:59PM. If I wanted to know what the low temp will be tomorrow when I have to wake up - which is what I meant - I have to ask her what it'll be tomorrow morning.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Siri may work in a large metro area but, generally speaking, her location services suck. All the people who love it are sitting in the center of 14,000 coffee shops and never ask for anything but a cup of coffee. Ask it, "What is the closest photocopy store?" and you get, "I don't find one." So, in the entire US, she can't find even ONE photocopy shop?

Her next move is to ask if you want her to search the web. If you say yes, you get a safari page full of store locator links. If your personal assisted did that you would fire him. The advantage to having siri is to be able to verbally ask a question and get a correct response. If I wanted to do my own online search, I'd do that.

Apple is smiling and saying, "Siri is wonderful, Siri saves time, Siri is the best personal assistant in the world." I guess we all should ignore the fact that it is not. It's too bad, but the iPhone and Apple may very well be nearing the end of their product life. Where's the innovation? Where's the 21st century capabilities? Where are the bells and whistles that are worth the inflated prices good old Apple Inc charges? Perhaps they should spend more time in research and development (and installing some honesty in their marketing) than they spend in court trying to obliterate up-and-coming companies that actually produce products that work and treat their customers honestly.

As for many of the reviews on this page, please stop piling on praise for Siri and saying, "Siri is great! Even in Beta testing." The general public should not be involved in beta testing. The general public should receive a well built final product and the company's appreciation for the purchase. Does Apple cut you a check for debugging Siri? They should. :mad:

I read halfway through before I recognized this post for what it is and stopped.

Anyway in regards to Siri like most of the people here I haven't really had any problems with it but I also don't use it as often as I think it could be used. There are definate issues with it such as requiring an internet connection to do things where the information is all local. Also I don't think the method to engage Siri is smoothe enough that it will be used even more frequently like an afterthought. I have used it to launch apps that I couldn't find in a couple of seconds and I have asked about the weather and a few other odds and ends at times. I am not hyper critical because perfection takes time. I think technology has moved so fast in terms of specs, features, services that everyone has begun to think that is the case with everything. When battery improvements get to the level that the iPhone will always be listening for a "Siri" command and you can then just talk without holding down the home button that will be awesome. Until then I can settle with the speech to text for iMessage, notes, etc. because that is simply teh awesome!

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem with Siri and I think it's improved since the 4s.

I will say though I prefer google now to Siri but if you have a good connection then Siri works quite well.

grassyblue

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
This problem reminds me of video games that try to be life-like. The problem is that if the appearance isn't completely real or very close to it, it looks awkward. That's why a lot of video games may look great in screenshots, but nothing close to real in motion.

Same thing with Siri. Great concept and I can see her being incredibly useful, but just not in her current iteration. There are some Apple-imposed limitations and some technological limitations. The end result is that she's just not "smart" enough to truly be a personal assistant. I hardly ever use Siri these days.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Agree but that is really apples fault. They made the iPhone for people just like that. People who need something so simple and it just works.

Now you expect them to be smart enough to ask the right question? Lol

Not saying everyone who owns an iPhone is like that. My father owns one and is horrible with tech and would be one of these people.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It takes effort for these people to try and trip up Siri...they have to make the questions or the approach to the questions overly difficult for themselves essentially rendering the "help" Siri gives moot. It's natural to ask Siri specifically what you want to find...if i want italian food, I'm going to ask Siri to find me an Italian restaurant, not "Siri, find me a place where they serve chicken parmesan with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and a spicy cavatappi but not too spicy and also offer a nice wine list and creme br?l?e."

Apple offered Siri as a personal assistant function, thinking people would naturally talk to her when they needed help. Is it perfect? Nope...no software is...but if you were to go to a building's concierge, would you ask "What italian restaurants would you recommend in the area?" or would you go obscure and ask what some of these people seem to think Siri should respond fully accurate to?

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I live in Allentown pa wich is not a large metro area,as I was reading this on my ipad,I picked up my iphone5 and asked Siri where is the closest photo copy shop ,she replied I found fifteen copy services ten are fairly close to you . I looked and there all places in my area I know of .

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I live in Allentown pa wich is not a large metro area,as I was reading this on my ipad,I picked up my iphone5 and asked Siri where is the closest photo copy shop ,she replied I found fifteen copy services ten are fairly close to you . I looked and there all places in my area I know of .

Sent from my iPad 4 using Tapatalk HD

Don't put too much effort in responding to the angry lunch room lady (that's what i got out of the pic anyways)...with 1 post, my guess is she's too busy making terrible sloppy joes for 3rd graders to properly respond.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro