Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Global Posts
    20,874 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Good Christmas For My Daughter - iPhone 5!

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    This is somewhat appropriate to add here... I read this over the Christmas timeframe, and it’s how one parent chose to deal with the issue of teenagers and iPhones.
    I, too, read that somewhere in my RSS feeds over the Christmas holiday and loved it. I don't have a problem with how she is handling it. Having any phones, tablets, heck, even toys are a "privilege" and not a "right". My 17 year old daughter loves to say, "that's not fair". Of course, I respond with something like, "Is it fair for me to worry whether or not you're hurt and lying in a ditch somewhere due to a crash when you don't answer your phone that I pay for? Is it fair for me to put gas in your car even though I am already making the car & insurance payments on it?" She hates when I do that, but hey, it's my job to keep her grounded in reality.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 01-10-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    bgl321 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,874 Global Posts
    iOS Version

By the way, kudos to the OP. in no way, shape or form am I trying to tell parents what to so with their kids. It is not my place to do such a thing. I will, however, give my opinion on it in relation to my own situation and I hope I've done that.
    bgl321 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Good Christmas For My Daughter - iPhone 5!

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I, too, read that somewhere in my RSS feeds over the Christmas holiday and loved it. I don't have a problem with how she is handling it. Having any phones, tablets, heck, even toys are a "privilege" and not a "right". My 17 year old daughter loves to say, "that's not fair". Of course, I respond with something like, "Is it fair for me to worry whether or not you're hurt and lying in a ditch somewhere due to a crash when you don't answer your phone that I pay for? Is it fair for me to put gas in your car even though I am already making the car & insurance payments on it?" She hates when I so that, but hey, it's my job to keep her grounded in reality.
    I hear you on that one... my canned response "Life isn't fair. It wasn’t fair when I was a kid, and it ain’t fair now. Grow up and deal with it." I used to get rolled eyes and attitude. Now they just smile and recite it along with me. (Gotta work on the next generation, now!)

I saw in in my RSS feeds over Christmas and saved it for the "right time". My point in posting it here wasn’t to decree that everyone should use these rules as their own, but rather, that this mother obviously knows her kid and has some sort of open communication with him. Your kid(s) may be different - change the rules to fit you/your situation/your kid. But don’t come in here telling everyone that a young teen (or even a pre-teen) isn't old enough or has no "need" for a cellphone. That’s for them and their parents to negotiate. They grow up so fast, it’s true, but you have to prepare them for dealing with the real world and teach them to have real responsibility - you can’t not do that and expect them one day to wake up adjusted, functioning adults.

Time to climb down off my soapbox... have a great evening, D.
    Last edited by Fausty82; 01-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (01-09-2013)
    bgl321 likes this.

Global Posts
    20,874 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    I hear you on that one... my canned response "Life isn't fair. It wasnít fair when I was a kid, and it ainít fair now. Grow up and deal with it." I used to get rolled eyes and attitude. Now they just smile and recite it along with me. (Gotta work on the next generation!)

I saw in in my RSS feeds over Christmas and saved it for the "right time". My point in posting it here wasnít to decree that everyone should use these rules as their own, but rather, that this mother obviously knows her kid and has some sort of open communication with him. You kid(s) may be different - change the rules to fit you/your situation/your kid. But donít come in here telling everyone that a young teen (or even a pre-teen) isn't old enough or has no "need" for a cellphone. Thatís for them and their parents to negotiate. They grow up so fast, itís true, but you have to prepare them for dealing with the real world and teach them to have real responsibility - you canít not do that and expect them one day to wake up adjusted, functioning adults.

Time to climb down off my soapbox... have a great evening, D.
    Excellent reply, my friend and thank you. I'll be taking my middle son to see Wake Forest play Virginia (NCAA Men's basketball) in about an hour or so. Tip-off is at 9. Take care
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Excellent reply, my friend and thank you. I'll be taking my middle son to see Wake Forest play Virginia (NCAA Men's basketball) in about an hour or so. Tip-off is at 9. Take care
    Enjoy. I’m a BigTen guy, myself, but I guess the ACC is "ok", too.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    20,874 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I hear ya. I love the game but I don't really follow college basketball, like I do college football, the NBA and the NFL, but my wife was able to get a couple of tickets so, what the heck, I might as well make use of them, right?...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,490 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I think that contract is a thing of absolute beauty. Some of them are a bit questionable, but to be honest, that's a parent trying to keep their kid from becoming a drone...which so many teens are now (including my oldest nephew)...they drone around, connected to their devices and e-life and it's hilarious (and pitiful at the same time). I love this idea and I'm going to give it to my brother!
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    bgl321 and JustMe'D like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12