Kind of annoyed!

lindsey202004

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok I sent my iPhone 5 off to Apple because the calls continuously would fail on it. I received a new phone & guess what.....this phone is doing it too. I am in a full signal area when this happens. I have a 16 gb white AT&t iPhone. With the first phone I replaced the SIM card, restored & backed up, restored & set up as new, turned the cellular connection off & back on. None of this made a bit of difference, so Apple told me to send it in & sent me a replacement. I am getting a bit irritated! I mean this is a phone & should work as one. Who cares what else it can do if it can't even hold onto a call in a full reception area! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The odds of me getting a second phone with the same problem seem odd to me unless this is a big issue with the iPhone.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Do you have any friends, family members, or co-workers with the iPhone 5 in your area? Do they work?

The first step would be to determine if there's a problem with your specific iPhone 5, with all iPhone 5s in your area, or with AT&T in your area.

Do Verizon iPhone 5s work?

lindsey202004

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Two of my friends have the iPhone 5 on At&t and one of my friends has an iPhone 5 on Verizon. None of them have had this same issue. They don't actually talk on the phone that much though. Mine doesn't do it on every call. It is just random when the calls fail. No consistancy with it at all that I can pin point. I don't know if it would be this phone again or not. The phone I just sent Apple was doing it and I would hope I wouldn't get back a new phone that does the same thing. I don't know how to go about getting the right answers. Other people's phones in my family don't have calls that fail. They are on At&t, but don't have iPhone 5's.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
What is your basis that your area is a "full signal area"? Cellular signals can fluctuate, change and move quite frequently at times...i had an area where 3G was not very strong for years, then (assumably because an addition to a tower or an increase in the strength of the tower) it became very good one day, and months later it's nearly perfect.

On the flip side of this, there's an area near Piedmont Park in Atlanta that I go to at times just to sit outside and have lunch...i never had any problems getting signal in that area, then one day when i had the 4S, it was almost ZERO reception (and continues this with the iPhone 5).

Signals can fluctuate...not saying this IS the problem you're experiencing, but it is a scenario.

lindsey202004

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
The area I am in when this issue usually occurs (although it has happened other places as well) is my house & we have always had full bars on our cell phones, so that is why I say it is a good reception area. My iPhone 5 says full bars when the calls drop as well. I don't know what the problem is, I just wish that it would resolve itself because I really do like this phone. I would like to have a dependable phone though that can complete phone calls when needed.

Edited: I did want to add that my town does not even have 3G. We still have edge here. I don't know if that would cause problems with my the calls failing or not. We do have full bars of reception about everywhere in our small town. Like I said in a previous post, my friends live here too & haven't experienced this issue yet.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Edge will definitely cause a problem, especially if your phone is constantly busy looking for LTE. At least turn off LTE while you're home and see if that helps stabilize your phone during your voice calls.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I can never understand why some people always have to blame their iPhones when something malfunctions.

The OP started by stating the calls on his iPhone were "continually failing on it". Then, in another post he says "Mine doesn't do it on every call. It is just random when the calls fail".

Bearing in mind the OP can only receive edge signals, I would suggest he blames At&t.

lindsey202004

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I came to this forum for help, not to bash the iphone or to be criticized for explaining my problem. I did not state that every single called failed. I did say the word continuously because it did continue to happen. It was not every single call by any means, but it was a good number of calls. At times on the old phone it would happen more than once during a conversation. It was enough calls to make it a problem. I never said it was the iphone with something wrong with it. It could be At&t. I don't know what the problem is. I have never had a phone before getting the iphone that this happened too, so pardon me if I don't know whether to "blame" the iphone or the carrier. I am not bashing the iphone. I don't have time to come on a forum to bash a product. All I wanted was help to resolve the problem and feedback if anyone else was having this issue. That is the reason these forums exist.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
The forums exist for many reasons...assisting people with problems is a part of that, yes. Your first post, however, was quite accusatory at the iPhone itself...i for one personally don't care if you blame the iPhone, godzilla or a piece of ham for the problem, but in defense of John T's retort, your initial post was very reflective of what he was saying.

I can't find anywhere in the thread where you were criticized, so not sure where exactly you're going with that...but John T did make a pretty valid point in regards to the whole "blame game" deal, it would seem your cellular network would be a more likely "at fault" party.

That said, you presented an issue...the nature of a forum (since you wanted to bring it up) is not always going to be a 100% rainbows and sunshine assistance fest, we arn't Apple CSR's so while discussing possible issues or fixes, you're going to get opinions too...which is the core of why a forum exists.

lindsey202004

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your feedback. I honestly didn't intend to blame the iPhone for the issue. I realize it did sound that way in my original post after re-reading it, but that wasn't my intention at all. I don't know what is causing the issue. I am hoping it is one that can be fixed whether it's AT&T or my iPhone. As I said before I don't think it would be the phone since this is the second one doing the same thing. I have called AT&T about the issue. I actually did that first before any other troubleshooting. I don't really know what else to do to fix this issue. That's why I was reaching out for help. I haven't heard of many others experiencing this issue. This is the only problem I have experienced with the iPhone, so I really do like the phone. I just wish the calls didn't fail.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your feedback. I honestly didn't intend to blame the iPhone for the issue. I realize it did sound that way in my original post after re-reading it, but that wasn't my intention at all. I don't know what is causing the issue. I am hoping it is one that can be fixed whether it's AT&T or my iPhone. As I said before I don't think it would be the phone since this is the second one doing the same thing. I have called AT&T about the issue. I actually did that first before any other troubleshooting. I don't really know what else to do to fix this issue. That's why I was reaching out for help. I haven't heard of many others experiencing this issue. This is the only problem I have experienced with the iPhone, so I really do like the phone. I just wish the calls didn't fail.

You have a totally understandable issue...frustration is completely justified. You're not going to find a lot of people on the forum that are limited to "Edge", so that will certainly decrease your chances of one of us being able to give you advice on "fixing" the problem, but it is entirely possible that the iPhone 5 just isn't the right phone for your area and type of connections you have available...my iPhone 5 seems to get better reception than any other iPhone i have owned, finding reception is areas where signal was usually crap.

It may be that the edge receiver on the iPhone 5 just isn't up to snuff for your area, that would really be unfortunate but is entirely possible...do you know others with newer gen smart phones who get reception just fine on edge in your area?

lindsey202004

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
My mom has the iPhone 4, but that's an older phone. My husband has a newer android phone. He hasn't had an issue with his phone, but he doesn't talk on the phone that much. He texts & uses the internet mostly. We have wifi here at our house, so we are able to use the Internet without the slow speed of edge. I guess I can just be glad it doesn't drop the calls all the time & hope AT&T will update our towers. I believe they are going to be upgrading them to 3G soon.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Edge was never a very reliable network (one of the reasons the push for wide spread 3G came so quickly and wide spread). I would still be concerned if your mom's 4 was able to pick up the signal better in your area, but i would definitely compare the two phones against each other a good bit before making that decision, like you said with your husband, your mom may not use the phone as much, or may not move around in your area as much while making phone calls, giving the appearance of better performance when you could just unfortunately be using your phone in areas where Edge isn't reaching properly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh