Should I return my 5?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I am confused, if you purchase an Iphone 5 from Best Buy under a 2 year contract for the $149.00, they actually charge tax on the full retail price of the phone ($649.00)? I am just curious how Best Buy works with the $149.00 2 year contract Iphone 5.

Yes they charge tax on retail

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I am confused, if you purchase an Iphone 5 from Best Buy under a 2 year contract for the $149.00, they actually charge tax on the full retail price of the phone ($649.00)? I am just curious how Best Buy works with the $149.00 2 year contract Iphone 5.

Yes the full retail value and not the $149. If you have the best buy rewards thing they are offering 5,000 points but if you're going to go anywhere I'd suggest Walmart they are selling the iPhone 5 for $127 though idk if they tax on that price or the full amount!

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Since you got a replacement at the Apple store, then keep it. As said just explain that you received a new replacement from Apple and you were told that the phone is new and not a refurb. Forget to go to best buy and get 50 bucks cheaper, you wont get any cheap as they will charge the retail tax.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
This is interesting to me. Is it BestBuy's policy to charge tax on the full retail value in every state? I live in Massachusetts and the law in this state is to charge the 6.25% sales tax on the full retail price always, it has been a law for quite a while but only really been enforced for the past couple of years. I also believe there are a few other states that require taxing at full price. I have heard that Radio Shack in Mass stores will sometimes "forget" to tax at the full retail price but that is them circumventing the law.

I also live 10 miles from New Hampshire which does not charge sales tax on anything so guess where I go to buy all my phones (and anything else for that matter)? ;)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is interesting to me. Is it BestBuy's policy to charge tax on the full retail value in every state? I live in Massachusetts and the law in this state is to charge the 6.25% sales tax on the full retail price always, it has been a law for quite a while but only really been enforced for the past couple of years. I also believe there are a few other states that require taxing at full price. I have heard that Radio Shack in Mass stores will sometimes "forget" to tax at the full retail price but that is them circumventing the law.

I also live 10 miles from New Hampshire which does not charge sales tax on anything so guess where I go to buy all my phones (and anything else for that matter)? ;)

Here in NV, AT&T and BB always charge tax on retail. Apple only charges tax on upgrade pricing so I only buy from Apple now when the newest iPhone releases. When you buy 2, it's saves me around $80 combined for both.

cvk14

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I too am on my second iPhone 5. The original unit would vibrate when pressure was put on the glass screen.

I asked the "genius" about the refurb that I was getting. She explained that the only item that might be refurbed is the logic board. The battery, screen, case are all new.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll