Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

Default Chip glass underneath the display?

Not really sure how something like this happens, but it looks like the glass (or whatever it is) underneath is chipped? I just got this phone and noticed last night when I had it under a light. It looks like something is chipped or scratched underneath.

Here's a pic to get a better idea. It's the little slither on the bottom left hand corner. Can I just go into an Apple store and exchange it at no cost under the warranty that comes with the device. I'm convinced that it came like this out of the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chip glass underneath the display?-image.jpg  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: Chip glass underneath the display?

it seems like a manufacturer defect but that would need to be determined by Apple. Take it to an Apple store and see what happens, they might switch it out since it's still under warranty
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts

How does the process usually work? I show them the phone and they determine its a defect, then what? Is the phone exchanged right there on the spot? Will anything come out of pocket?

I've never dealt with Apple before, so the experience is pretty new to me.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by EggoEspada View Post
    How does the process usually work? I show them the phone and they determine its a defect, then what? Is the phone exchanged right there on the spot? Will anything come out of pocket?

I've never dealt with Apple before, so the experience is pretty new to me.
    They will replace it on the spot assuming they have replacements in stock ( which they should ). There will be nothing out of pocket since it is still under warranty. Backup your phone before you take it in, then restore from backup when you get home.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,235 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

There are probably 100 different things that could have caused this...many of which could have happened before it even went into a box. Back it up and let Apple replace it...enjoy one of the reason's Apple products are considered the top of the food chain (IE: no non-sense customer support).
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Like everyone said back it up, iCloud backup is the best. Then carry the phone, no need to carry the box, charger or cables. They will swap the SIM power on the new phone and away you go. I just replaced mine yesterday.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Intermediate

if it's still under warranty then you shouldn't have any out of pocket expenses