Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Camera quality

Does anyone else think that the quality is very poor?

I took this and was quite disappointed

Anyone else?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Default Camera quality

Quote Originally Posted by HafMan View Post
    Does anyone else think that the quality is very poor?

I took this and was quite disappointed

Anyone else?
    What kind of iPhone do you have if may I ask.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button

> Blackberry Z10 - White - Verizon Wireless - Current <

>iPhone 6 - Next Device<
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

Default Re: Camera quality

Given the small size of your picture provided, did you resize it? Are you using an Iphone 5? I assume so given the forum you have chosen.

I do not blame you for seeking assistance if you are getting photos such as that one. I tried to recreate your photo the best that I could. The picture below is using the stock camera, no flash, no hdr, no editing, indoor lighting and resized to 1632 x 1224. I might also suggest making certain the camera lense is clean of any debris and that you are tapping to focus prior to the picture. While I do typically experience noise in my low light shots, I do not experience anything near what you have provided. Perhaps if you give additional information we can inspect further.

I imagine someone with steadier hands than I could have taken a better pic, but, it's still marginally clearer than the one you provided above.

Camera quality-test-pic.jpg
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Here's an embedded version ( which gets scaled apparently ) and a unscaled version : . Didn't want to insert it bc, well it's kinda big. I'm not see what you're seeing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera quality-img_0407.jpg  
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSCBerry View Post
    What kind of iPhone do you have if may I ask.

It's probably pretty safe to assume if he posted it in the iPhone 5 forum, he's using an iPhone 5.

Also...it's quite easy to make a picture look like complete crap. Here's an example...even a high end SLR will take pictures that look terrible in the wrong hands.

AHHH DUDE...this camera is crap, the iPhone 5 is the worst thing ever, look how blurry! WTF is this crap?

...oh, wait...nevermind.

"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Camera quality

Hi well I took the snap from about 8" away but I have has other pictures which I am uploading through the tapatalk app such as this one. All have been taken with an iPhone 5

So is the quality i should be expecting for the camera? I uploaded it with the best res i could 768x1024
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    744 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HafMan View Post
    Hi well I took the snap from about 8" away but I have has other pictures which I am uploading through the tapatalk app such as this one. All have been taken with an iPhone 5

So is the quality i should be expecting for the camera? I uploaded it with the best res i could 768x1024
    In my opinion this second pic is along the lines of acceptable. Like Sean mentioned, it is not that difficult to take a bad shot whether accidental or simply due to ignorance in photography (not by any means referring to you or anyone as ignorant). There are many times where I will snap several of the same photo just to be sure one is acceptable. Sometimes the focus is lost before snapping, or the angle of the camera throws off the lighting, or a last second shake of the hand. There are many variables that can throw off a picture. Remember also to keep expectations reasonable. While the camera on the iphone 5 is arguably the best cell phone camera short of Nokias, it is still a cell phone camera with a limited sensor, LED flash, etc. But I think that is one of the things you are doing here, getting a better understanding of what you can/should expect.

In the sticky section ( http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5-for...ne-5-here.html ) there is a thread where many have uploaded pictures taken with their iphone 5. That will also give you an idea of what the camera is capable of. Remember, keep the lens clean, tap to focus, steady hand, utilize HDR if the situation calls for it, experiment to see if flash helps or hinders a shot, move the focal point of the pic slightly in different directions to see if it helps or hinders (the light sensor will adjust to the natural lighting of the scene), etc.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Default Camera quality

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    WTF is this crap?
    That is a Xfinity remote used by Xfinity customers, so I can certainly relate to you calling it crap, GIGI.

This is a Verizon FIOS remote (not crap) , taken in low lighting and without a flash.

iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    That is a Xfinity remote used by Xfinity customers, so I can certainly relate to you calling it crap, GIGI.

This is a Verizon FIOS remote (not crap) , taken in low lighting and without a flash.

Off topic, but see my latest "little things you hate" to see how much i agree.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default Camera quality

it's awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera quality-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1355276057.350894.jpg  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default Camera quality

Camera quality-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1355276168.149953.jpgbetter pic
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I agree. It's total crap. Oh wait......

*Edit* Man. The forums really mangle the image quality after you attach it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camera quality-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1349407397.049698.jpg  
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

Default Camera quality

Coming from Android the camera on the iPhone 5 is AMAZING!!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Why don't y'all have a look at http://forums.imore.com/iphone-5-for...ne-5-here.html so you can see what the quality can be.