Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Default Should I upgrade to the 5 or not?

Just wanted some opinions from people who have the 5. I currently have the iPhone4 and have an upgrade. I was considering upgrading to the 5. What are your thoughts/is it worth it? Should I be concerned about the iPhone coming out in the fall being alot better than the 5? What should I do and wondering if the 5 is that much better than the 4 really? Thanks

Global Posts
    23,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You may find your good & useful information HERE.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I upgraded from the 4 to the 5 and it is much much better. The 5 is faster in everything it does from browsing the bet to opening up apps to camera operation. You will really appreciate the difference. LTE is amazing. I have reception in areas that I did not get with my 4, like inside the gym. Battery life is about the same as the 4, slightly better I would say. Do it. You will not regret it. I sure did not.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Should I upgrade to the 5 or not?

Don't. Apple and Google are still having an immature fight in the sandbox. my new iPhone 5 continues to have issues with my Google account. If you don't use any Google products, then maybe you're ok. If you like Google Maps, you'll be disappointed. Apple won't allow it and there Navigation software just sucks. It won't even find the locations. As of today, my iPhone 5 won't send or receive any new gmail, iPhone STILL does not support groups in contacts, and I can go on about this for a while. Stick to earlier versions or until Apple gets it's head out of it's **** or plays nice with Google again.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Expert

Ya I am really considering it. Phones now a days are computers and are much more than just using them for calls. My 4 works great still (a little slow and frustrating at times). Everyone seems to love the 5 and it will only get better with the iOS7 coming out eventually. I just don't wanna get this 5 then the 5S coming out next year and have that mean way better than the 5. Thoughts?

Global Posts
    12,098 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Ysaac Bautista View Post
    If you like Google Maps, you'll be disappointed. Apple won't allow it and there Navigation software just sucks. It won't even find the locations.
    Not true in my use and experience. Google Maps on iOS sucked... Apple's iOS6 Maps is much better... and Navigon is better.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Don't. Apple and Google are still having an immature fight in the sandbox. my new iPhone 5 continues to have issues with my Google account. If you don't use any Google products, then maybe you're ok. If you like Google Maps, you'll be disappointed. Apple won't allow it and there Navigation software just sucks. It won't even find the locations. As of today, my iPhone 5 won't send or receive any new gmail, iPhone STILL does not support groups in contacts, and I can go on about this for a while. Stick to earlier versions or until Apple gets it's head out of it's **** or plays nice with Google again.
    Gmail works just fine for me.

As far as navigation I've used Waze anyways...it's free and it works great.

I also made the jump from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5. It is a nice jump in speed and quality in my opinion. I love this phone and would not think of going back.
    [FONT=Garamond]iPhone 4 32GB Black, 2012 MBP 13" i5/FONT]
    H_D
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,563 Global Posts

That's funny because all of my Google apps work just fine on my iPhone 5....
    www.twitter.com/YaBoiD / iPhone 6 128GB (Space Grey) -- iPad Air2 128GB LTE (Space Grey) -- iMac 27" i7, 3TB Fusion HD, 680MX 2GB -- MBA 13" i7 -- Apple TV 2 -- iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64GB -- iPod Classic 2nd Gen 30GB (Black)
    Caballera likes this.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Expert

not i guess it comes down to color selection. Iv'e seen them both and my iphone4 right now is black and I said to myself that I will definitely be getting a white one next iphone i get but seeing the black iphone5 is pretty nice and sleek looking. I dont know which color to get. I want a white one but the Black looks very very nice
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My iPhone 4 was black and I definitely said my next iPhone would be white...that was until they made the black so sexy. The white looks great but they made the black look so much better.
    [FONT=Garamond]iPhone 4 32GB Black, 2012 MBP 13" i5/FONT]
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Someone who joined in Dec 2012 and their first post is to bash the iPhone....Hmmmmm....My ihpone 5 has no problem with gmail. I have an account that sends and receives gmail. I suspect user error. The maps are fine on iOS6. I have had zero problems with them.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Expert

sounds like everyone loves their iphone5 im getting it

Global Posts
    4,754 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

More talking points here.

iPhone 5 buyers guide | iMore.com
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Air 2 & iPad Mini Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts

You do realize the OP has an iPhone 4 currently right? Meaning, chances are, they are already on ios6 and are aware of the "issues" you are describing....none of which I've had a problem with.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I came from an Android phone, completely Google asked, and have had zero issues with either my contacts or gmail. I do miss Google maps, but the iPhone's maps app has gotten me to my destination all three times I have used it. I can't compare to the 4 as I didn't own one, but the 5 is absolutely terrific.
    iMore Intermediate

I upgraded from 4 to 5 and it is totally worth it for a number of reasons. You will be happy. There is a big difference.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,382 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Upgrade. It's worth it. If I upgraded from 4S to the 5. I immediately noticed faster phone and LTE alone was worth it. Now imagine you from a 4 to 5. No doubt about it. Do it.

Sent from iPhone5 via Tapatalk
    My history: 8330*8330m*9650*9670*9330*iPhone4white*iPhone4Swhi te*iPhone5white*iPhone5S silver
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    529 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes it's worth it,especially from the 4! You won't regret it.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    2,088 Global Posts

Default RE: Should I upgrade to the 5 or not?

The 5 is nice. Bit overrated. I had the 4S, you get an extra row of icons and LTE. That's about it. Plus, a new model is due out by Q2 if the reports are correct.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    The 5 is nice. Bit overrated. I had the 4S, you get an extra row of icons and LTE. That's about it. Plus, a new model is due out by Q2 if the reports are correct.
    Agreed. Nice, but nothing dramatic. From a 4, worth it...from a 4S, up to you.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    LTE, 4" screen, A6 processor, HD front camera. Sure... overrated.
    Caballera likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    LTE, 4" screen, A6 processor, HD front camera. Sure... overrated.
    What I believe he's saying and what I agree with is that in day to day use, you're not gonna tell a huge difference over a 4s aside from faster data speeds and a larger screen. Better camera technically but unless you're really paying attention and comparing side by side you're not gonna notice much.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,479 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

u mad?

Get the iPhone 5...it's a fantastic device. There's no doubt the coming iPhone will be better than the iPhone 5, Apple has bettered the phone with each iteration...if you can be happy with your iPhone 4 until then, then yes, you'll be happy you did I'm sure, I've never been disappointed with an iPhone yet.

You do have quite a while to wait for a new version though.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,207 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by roll-tide View Post
    What I believe he's saying and what I agree with is that in day to day use, you're not gonna tell a huge difference over a 4s aside from faster data speeds and a larger screen. Better camera technically but unless you're really paying attention and comparing side by side you're not gonna notice much.
    Then I guess it's just me because I do. It's not the minimal 4 to 4S upgrade.
    iMore Intermediate

I would recommend iPhone 4S with no doubt over the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is from my point of view the worst iPhone yet. But the iPhone 4S is the perfection of the iPhone 4. Sorry you guys but I would never buy an iPhone that can get ding , scratches or get discolored with time and there I'm not talking about the battery inside because seriously Apple is laughing at us. And the incell touch screen tech what a mess the phone freeze. That was my recommendation, the iPhone 4S has a good battery life, is very stable and a its one the most solid phone. And for those who say: yes but the 4 and the 4S get shattered, well put a darn case it won't happen unless you want to use it nude. 😈
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast