Should I upgrade to the 5 or not?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The 5 is nice. Bit overrated. I had the 4S, you get an extra row of icons and LTE. That's about it. Plus, a new model is due out by Q2 if the reports are correct.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

LTE, 4" screen, A6 processor, HD front camera. Sure... overrated.

roll-tide

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
LTE, 4" screen, A6 processor, HD front camera. Sure... overrated.

What I believe he's saying and what I agree with is that in day to day use, you're not gonna tell a huge difference over a 4s aside from faster data speeds and a larger screen. Better camera technically but unless you're really paying attention and comparing side by side you're not gonna notice much.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't. Apple and Google are still having an immature fight in the sandbox. my new iPhone 5 continues to have issues with my Google account. If you don't use any Google products, then maybe you're ok. If you like Google Maps, you'll be disappointed. Apple won't allow it and there Navigation software just sucks. It won't even find the locations. As of today, my iPhone 5 won't send or receive any new gmail, iPhone STILL does not support groups in contacts, and I can go on about this for a while. Stick to earlier versions or until Apple gets it's head out of it's butt or plays nice with Google again.

u mad?

Get the iPhone 5...it's a fantastic device. There's no doubt the coming iPhone will be better than the iPhone 5, Apple has bettered the phone with each iteration...if you can be happy with your iPhone 4 until then, then yes, you'll be happy you did I'm sure, I've never been disappointed with an iPhone yet.

You do have quite a while to wait for a new version though.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
What I believe he's saying and what I agree with is that in day to day use, you're not gonna tell a huge difference over a 4s aside from faster data speeds and a larger screen. Better camera technically but unless you're really paying attention and comparing side by side you're not gonna notice much.

Then I guess it's just me because I do. It's not the minimal 4 to 4S upgrade.

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I would recommend iPhone 4S with no doubt over the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is from my point of view the worst iPhone yet. But the iPhone 4S is the perfection of the iPhone 4. Sorry you guys but I would never buy an iPhone that can get ding , scratches or get discolored with time and there I'm not talking about the battery inside because seriously Apple is laughing at us. And the incell touch screen tech what a mess the phone freeze. That was my recommendation, the iPhone 4S has a good battery life, is very stable and a its one the most solid phone. And for those who say: yes but the 4 and the 4S get shattered, well put a darn case it won't happen unless you want to use it nude. 😈

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
if your happy with your screen size and want something faster id buy a 4s off contract on ebay or craigslist. if you want to try something new and larger then go for the 5 on contract.

mgee85

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to an iPhone 5 from a 3 so it was a huge leap and totally worth it! I love the 5, and there is not necessarily another one coming out for a long while yet, so I wouln't wait around in the hope that the 5S or 6 will be here anytime soon.
I find the battery life to be ok, and it charges super super quick! This iPhone isn't perfect, and actually can get scratches and personally i haven't got on well with the maps but other than that i'd say its speedy, and so much more up to date than the other iphones, like for example being able to use 4G. It's the little details like panaoramic camera and the do not disturb feature that I really like.

i8paste

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
IMHO I say upgrade. Now in respect to your question, if need to be asked then the answer might be no. Reason for this is you might be happy with what you have etc... The iphone 5 is truly a beast that has taken me by complete surprise from start to present. Only thing that is the same is the OS which simply put "it just works". I have no real complaints. So should you upgrade, that is a choice you need to make, but if you want a beautiful, functional and eye catching then phone, then it's a no brainier.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend iPhone 4S with no doubt over the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is from my point of view the worst iPhone yet. But the iPhone 4S is the perfection of the iPhone 4. Sorry you guys but I would never buy an iPhone that can get ding , scratches or get discolored with time and there I'm not talking about the battery inside because seriously Apple is laughing at us. And the incell touch screen tech what a mess the phone freeze. That was my recommendation, the iPhone 4S has a good battery life, is very stable and a its one the most solid phone. And for those who say: yes but the 4 and the 4S get shattered, well put a darn case it won't happen unless you want to use it nude. 😈

It's always fun to read advice from people who don't actually own the iPhone 5...

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
But to add to that. It's the OP's money. If one can't make a decision themselves after going hands off with the phone at the store or even reading up online of the device features....

Easy-G

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Many of my friends have made the upgrade from 4 to 5 because the improvements are quite substantial - CPU, LTE, camera, Siri, size. Also, if you're planning on selling your current iPhone, it will have depreciated considerably by the time the 5S comes out.

The only reason to wait IMO would be if maps isn't quite up to snuff for your area and you plan to use maps regularly. If that's the case ask a friend how Maps is performing in your area.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The only reason to wait IMO would be if maps isn't quite up to snuff for your area and you plan to use maps regularly. If that's the case ask a friend how Maps is performing in your area.
About the Maps app... There are many 3rd party alternatives, and if one is truly dependent on a good Maps app, they likely already have a 3rd party solution that meets their needs if the native app does not meet their needs. Making a buy/not by decision on the native Maps app alone is, to me, not the best of decision making.

kreestole

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I had no intention of getting the 5, but 3 crappy replacement 4's through square trade got me a cash out and I was suddenly without a phone at all. It just so happened that this coincided with the 5's release and I didn't want to replace my 16gb iPhone 4 with an 8gb, so I used the money to buy a 5. This phone is fantastic, I thought I loved my 4, but I'm in love with the 5. It's so fast and I haven't had any of the issues discussed on here except the weird time issue on LTE but that's Verizon and it's been better lately. I say go for it!

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's always fun to read advice from people who don't actually own the iPhone 5...

Thats the truth. I wouldn't hesitate to but the 5. I love my 64! It is without a doubt the best iPhone I have ever had, and I have owned all since 3GS. I changed carriers to VZW from ATT so I could get LTE.

Justin Pittman

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Depending on the cell coverage in your area the iPhone 5 is MUCH faster. I felt like the phone was faster in general to my 4 and my wife's 4s. A severe downside though, no choice on the iOS version, you get apple maps no matter what. It took a little getting used to the keyboard since the phone is 1/2" taller. Overall I would upgrade again.

Btw, the new otters are awesome! I've always had a defender, they have constantly been getting better but the newest is just amazing and with great new colors too.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Definitely upgrade as for a case go Lifeproof - the otters for the 5 bulk it up entirely too much and the Lifeproof will protect against dust dirt water completely me the otters won't - higher resale when the phone is just as clean and pristine as the day you bought it ��

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend the 5 as an upgrade from the 4. Faster in all aspects. I wouldn't recommend the 4s though. Why would you waste an upgrade on last generation products? If anything, buy the 4S off contract if you're still hesitant but I wouldn't waste my upgrade on old hardware

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like from everyone on here that the iPhone5 is amazing, fast, sleek and a difference maker especially coming from the iphone4. I'm pumped. Definitely going to get it soon. I just hope that next falls new iPhone is a marginal change and nothing to dramatic. With that being said I love how the 5 looks without a case especially in black. Looks so clean and modern looking but if I drop it (which is rarely do) it's definitely going to scratch dent maybe even break which would be very frustrating. How many of you have your phones without a case and show off that awesome looking 5?