Is My iPhone 5 DEAD?

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Got up from my nap and found my iPhone 5 dead!!!
It was working properly before I laid down. Wasn't fully
charged but close to about 92%. Now nothing. I guess I'll
make a trip to the Apple store tonight.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone is working again. All it needed was a "Hard Reset" at the Apple Store. I had tried that but I guess I didn't hold the buttons long enough. I don't know what happened though. I was trying to talk to a ham radio station in the South Pacific this morning and was getting some RF back into the radio room. I just swept my antenna and it looks good. Guess I'll climb the tower tomorrow and visually check everything.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
My iPhone is working again. All it needed was a "Hard Reset" at the Apple Store. I had tried that but I guess I didn't hold the buttons long enough. I don't know what happened though. I was trying to talk to a ham radio station in the South Pacific this morning and was getting some RF back into the radio room. I just swept my antenna and it looks good. Guess I'll climb the tower tomorrow and visually check everything.
interference and dead iphone... DEFINITELY ALIENS

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Not to imply that your antenna stuff was in any way related...but a scenario my friend went through left us a little baffled a few weeks ago and i thought it was relevant. He's a mechanic on our patrol vehicles and works on them day in and day out, one of the days he was working (he has an iPhone 5 btw), they were installing a new radio antenna behind the area where the car pit is and he was sitting outside working on one of the trucks when they turned it on and started doing whatever calibration work they do to it. After a few minutes he noticed interference with the radio in the truck (not surprising, they pick up everything) and he grabbed his phone and it was completely dead...and like you, he freaked out, but then did a hard restart and it was A-ok.

Weird situation, may have had nothing to do with the antenna at all, but still...aliens.

gretark

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanx a bunch... I had the exact same issue... my iPhone 5 suddenly "died", nothing seemed to get its attention until I tried the Hard Reset :)

N4uajBill

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue two weeks ago and went to the Genius Bar with it. After diagnostics was ran and hardware all checked good, Genius guy asked if I ever let it run all the way down or just shut it off any time. I told him no I usually just keep it charged up and let it run. He told me the iPhone should be shut down once a month or so for maybe 30 minutes just to kinda let it regroup its thoughts I guess. He compared it to shutting down a computer every now and then to clear memory etc. His suggestion was if you go to a movie or church or meetings that you dont need or want your phone to go off just turn it off instead of merely silencing it. There is really no need to go to Apple Store for this issue.

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue two weeks ago and went to the Genius Bar with it. After diagnostics was ran and hardware all checked good, Genius guy asked if I ever let it run all the way down or just shut it off any time. I told him no I usually just keep it charged up and let it run. He told me the iPhone should be shut down once a month or so for maybe 30 minutes just to kinda let it regroup its thoughts I guess. He compared it to shutting down a computer every now and then to clear memory etc. His suggestion was if you go to a movie or church or meetings that you dont need or want your phone to go off just turn it off instead of merely silencing it. There is really no need to go to Apple Store for this issue.

This goes against everything that Apple has ever said. I remember a big stink last year about apps in the App store that had descriptions that said you should reboot your iphone after installation, and Apple making them remove those lines from the description. One of the fundamentals behind the iphone is that is should just work, and never need to be restarted during normal usage.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This goes against everything that Apple has ever said. I remember a big stink last year about apps in the App store that had descriptions that said you should reboot your iphone after installation, and Apple making them remove those lines from the description. One of the fundamentals behind the iphone is that is should just work, and never need to be restarted during normal usage.

Agreed. I think the person who he spoke to was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I had a co-worker report the EXACT same issue a few days ago. Her iPhone had a 80-ish percent charge, and just died. Hard reset brought it back to life with the same battery charge remaining. If it does it again, I'm going to recommend we do a wipe/restore. Very odd.

moloes

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I also had this problem with my 1st iPhone 5. It happened twice where I woke up in the morning and the phone wasn't responding to anything I did. Hard reset solved the problem. However the second time I knew it wasn't a one off, so I took it to the Genius Bar and they swopped it for a new phone.

nr2d

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I thought this thread was dead but for what it is worth my iP 5 has been working fine since this problem. As the old saying goes "no rusts, busts or mess ups."

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner