Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Question are iPhones available at pawn shops?

hi, I wanted to know if it is fine to buy iPhones from a local pawn shop. They sell gadgets at really low price. I found out the rates of phones at a store named cash pawn sales, the price tags were really jaw dropping!

Global Posts
    15,910 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Default Re: are iPhones available at pawn shops?

I would of course check the ESN. But with anything outside carrier or Apple themselves you would really have to be confident about buying one.
    iMore Moderator Team Leader | Mobile Nations Rules

Global Posts
    15,895 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Caveat Emptor.

It's possible you can purchase an iPhone from a pawn shop and everything will go fine activating it with your provider... it's also possible you could wind up with a device that can not be activated because of one of any number of issues... if you're interested in a Verizon or Sprint model, try to get the pawn shop operator to verify the ESN is clean... or guarantee a return & refund if you can't activate it on your account. If it's an AT&T model, get assurance the sim slot is unlocked and get a guarantee for return & refund if there are issues with getting it activated on your account.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone 6;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    10,296 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

We had an investigation last week that lead us to talk to a pawn shop owner...i wasn't doing much while the investigators were talking to him so i was checking out their store. They had tons of iPods, iPhones and iPads...probably 20+ of each. They had an iPhone 5 that was mint for like $600 but it was missing everything including the lightning wire...i asked the guy why they were asking $50 less than the cost new for an iPhone without any accessories and he goes "Because idiots will pay it." Got to love pawn shops...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    kch50428 likes this.