Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Question volume icon randomly appearing

    Happy Friday!

    So, the strangest thing... the volume icon keeps popping up randomly on my screen. It's like for some reason whenever it's in standby/sleep mode and I wake it, it pops up... but then this morning it would just randomly pop up on the screen. Right now my phone is on silent and I'm not hitting any of the side buttons... and when it appears, it's just the bell, no bars on the bottom showing (like volume bars)... just the bell...

    anyone else had this issue?
  2. #2  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    9,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,174 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Have you done a hard restart on the phone? Might just be a random glitch...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    nmburns (11-30-2012)
    ChrisLuce#IM likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Have you done a hard restart on the phone? Might just be a random glitch...
    Funny you mention that... as soon as I posted, I thought "I should do a reboot" ... lol! So I did... so far nothing, but yesterday it was just happening randomly, so we'll see the rest of the day if it happens again.

    Thanks for your suggestion!
  4. #4  
    naviwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    1,658 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,427 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8

    Default volume icon randomly appearing

    Do you have a case on the device? If so, remove it and a few hours and see if it still happens...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    Do you have a case on the device? If so, remove it and a few hours and see if it still happens...
    Nope, no case or anything on it. I just got a new replacement and this doesn't have anything on it. It's naked, lol
  6. #6  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Is this effecting the actual volume at all or is it just visual? I had a similar issue with the 4S where it would randomly turn the volume down at random times. Safe to say it was not a software issue and they gave me a new phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by nmburns View Post
    Happy Friday!

    So, the strangest thing... the volume icon keeps popping up randomly on my screen. It's like for some reason whenever it's in standby/sleep mode and I wake it, it pops up... but then this morning it would just randomly pop up on the screen. Right now my phone is on silent and I'm not hitting any of the side buttons... and when it appears, it's just the bell, no bars on the bottom showing (like volume bars)... just the bell...

    anyone else had this issue?
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Is this effecting the actual volume at all or is it just visual? I had a similar issue with the 4S where it would randomly turn the volume down at random times. Safe to say it was not a software issue and they gave me a new phone.
    I think just visual... i havent noticed any issues with the actual sounds... I'll keep an eye and ear out though... since this is a brand new replacement as of yesterday.

    Thanks!
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Argh, this is still happening and driving me crazy! Constantly buzzing and showing the symbol... even during calls! I've done a wipe and still doing it! And this is my replacement phone since I was having major battery issues... I don't want to have to get another one!!!
  9. #9  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    4,211 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Quote Originally Posted by nmburns View Post
    Argh, this is still happening and driving me crazy! Constantly buzzing and showing the symbol... even during calls! I've done a wipe and still doing it! And this is my replacement phone since I was having major battery issues... I don't want to have to get another one!!!
    When you got the replacement, did you restore the phone from a backup? I hate to say this, but,
    you might want to try a full restore, brand new. Maybe, just maybe, the backup has something
    corrupt in the file system. It's a possibility. Doesn't hurt to try restoring as new. You can always
    just restore to the backup again.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    When you got the replacement, did you restore the phone from a backup? I hate to say this, but,
    you might want to try a full restore, brand new. Maybe, just maybe, the backup has something
    corrupt in the file system. It's a possibility. Doesn't hurt to try restoring as new. You can always
    just restore to the backup again.
    Due to other issues, I've done 3 complete brand new restores... and still not working
  11. #11  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Quote Originally Posted by nmburns View Post
    Due to other issues, I've done 3 complete brand new restores... and still not working
    Time to get a new phone.
  12. #12  
    Heisenberg's Avatar

    Posts
    4,211 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    There's an internal hardware issue with those volume buttons then.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    nmburns's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0.1

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    Yeah... time to get another replacement

    I have now been able to get the phone to vibrate by pressing in certain areas of the phone.. so apparently something must be loose. Sad... hopefully the third time's the charm!! Cross your fingers!!!
  14. #14  
    Geraldo1951's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    1 Posts

    Default Re: volume icon randomly appearing

    I have my 5s model that is doing the same, and the reason for my phone is the Otter Box, as the buttons on the side of the case push for some reason, perhaps the integrity of the case is damaged.

Similar Threads

  1. Random Icons Appear when I delete an app.
    By aidenh in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 02:29 AM
  2. JB app icons intermittently appear blank?
    By talkin73 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 05:34 PM
  3. App icons copying appearance of other icons
    By ba04560 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
  4. Why do my Icons randomly change ? 3gs
    By Sooks in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 04:13 PM
  5. Help! Random reorganizing of my icons?
    By phate in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions