Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Massie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    kennethkilo's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

    Default Apple Care

    Just a quick question, will I be able to pay 49$ and get Apple to replace maybe the aluminum back even though it only has scratches on it and I just want it to look new again? And is replacing the backing even possible?
  2. #2  
    swarlos's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,320 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

    Default Apple Care

    I believe you would just get a new device which would be easier and faster. Just do restore from iCloud on the new device.


    Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  3. #3  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,769 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,771 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Apple Care

    They're going to give you a new phone if you file a claim on your Apple Care coverage...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  4. #4  
    IAmAuthority's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    109 Posts
    Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Care

    You can replace or repair your phone if there is damage done to the phone. I believe you have a limited number of claims for AppleCare. 2 a year is what I believe I read. I personally don't think it's worth a claim, but you or others may justify its cost and use of one of your yearly claims.

    Good luck in whatever you decide to do...

    PS: Maybe try a case that covers the scratches and or back of the phone?
  5. #5  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,334 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Apple Care

    Yes, you can get it fixed with your $50 copay. They only allow 2 exchanges per year and each will cost you $50. I would recommend a case, or if you don't like cases, check out a protective film like the Zaggskin. They are awesome and let the phone look naked, while still offering protection from scratches.
  6. #6  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    761 Posts
    Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Apple Care

    I was thinking about adding Apple Care to my iPhone. Does anyone know if you have to pay the $49 deductible if there's a warranty issue (home/power/volume buttons stick, etc - no physical damage or abide) with the phone? Something that would be covered for free under the regular phone warranty.
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  7. #7  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    You can replace or repair your phone if there is damage done to the phone. I believe you have a limited number of claims for AppleCare. 2 a year is what I believe I read. I personally don't think it's worth a claim, but you or others may justify its cost and use of one of your yearly claims.

    Good luck in whatever you decide to do...

    PS: Maybe try a case that covers the scratches and or back of the phone?
    Not 2 a year. Two in the life of the warranty (2 years). Once you get the second one, youíre done... no more replacements... unless itís a bona fide warranty issue. Those are "as much as you need" and theyíre free.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  8. #8  
    Karenkcoulter's Avatar

    Posts
    6,602 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,607 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

    Default Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    I was thinking about adding Apple Care to my iPhone. Does anyone know if you have to pay the $49 deductible if there's a warranty issue (home/power/volume buttons stick, etc - no physical damage or abide) with the phone? Something that would be covered for free under the regular phone warranty.
    No deductible if a warranty issue and warranty is extended to two years.
    Thanked by:
    iLive an iLife (12-01-2012)
  9. #9  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    Yes, you can get it fixed with your $50 copay. They only allow 2 exchanges per year and each will cost you $50. I would recommend a case, or if you don't like cases, check out a protective film like the Zaggskin. They are awesome and let the phone look naked, while still offering protection from scratches.
    It’s TWO TOTAL, not two per year.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  10. #10  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,273 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    It’s TWO TOTAL, not two per year.
    Exactly correct
  11. #11  
    precon22's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    175 Posts
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts

    Default Apple Care

    And is it a brand new or white box replacement ?
  12. #12  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    761 Posts
    Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    No deductible if a warranty issue and warranty is extended to two years.
    Thanks, Karen!! Definitely adding Apple Care then. I treat my phone like it's a small child, but I'd like to be covered if something out of my control happens (a button starts sticking or is unresponsive)...
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  13. #13  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by iLive an iLife View Post
    Thanks, Karen!! Definitely adding Apple Care then. I treat my phone like it's a small child, but I'd like to be covered if something out of my control happens (a button starts sticking or is unresponsive)...
    Just to clarify:

    It’s a minor thing, but worth mentioning. The iPhone warranty that we’re talking about here is AppleCare+ (the PLUS is significant). Apple no longer offers AppleCare for iPhones and iPods... but replaced it with AppleCare+. The difference is that "plus" includes up to TWO replacements ($49 per) for physical, previously non-warranted damage.

    And if you sell (or transfer ownership) of your phone, you can do a one-time transfer of the AC+, as well. You can also request a refund at any time for the pro-rated, unused portion of the coverage.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  14. #14  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    761 Posts
    Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Just to clarify:

    Itís a minor thing, but worth mentioning. The iPhone warranty that weíre talking about here is AppleCare+ (the PLUS is significant). Apple no longer offers AppleCare for iPhones and iPods... but replaced it with AppleCare+. The difference is that "plus" includes up to TWO replacements ($49 per) for physical, previously non-warranted damage.

    And if you sell (or transfer ownership) of your phone, you can do a one-time transfer of the AC+, as well. You can also request a refund at any time for the pro-rated, unused portion of the coverage.
    Thanks, Fausty! That's a good feature and I appreciate you pointing it out. I'm not as concerned with the non-warranty replacement - I baby my phone way too much for that to happen!!
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  15. #15  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,010 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Copying my reply from this thread:

    Another note on AppleCare+ is that you can only buy it within 30 days of buying a new iPhone. After that you're out of luck. From the Apple site:

    AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Specialist will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.

    If you missed the window, it helps to consider is what Apple charges for out-of-warranty repair/replacements; depending on your device and how careful you are with it, you might decide that AppleCare+ is not worth the money anyway:

    Apple Care-screen-shot-2012-12-01-10.48.42-am.png

    So if you have a 4S and buy AppleCare+, you spend $99 no matter what, and $148 if you have to replace your phone ($197 if you break it twice in two years). Without it, you'd spend $199, but only if you need service. For me--someone who is really careful with his devices--I'm comfortable without it, knowing that if I do need non-warranty service, it's only going to cost me around fifty bucks* more than I'd pay if I had AppleCare+. Obviously, it gets more expensive if you manage to need two replacements in two years, but after owning three generations of iPhones I have yet to require any service for any of them. So for me it doesn't seem worth the initial payout, based on my history.

    *Depending on your device. My iPhone 5 would actually be about $80 more to replace outside of warranty, but my iPhone 4 would only cost $1 more than it would if I prepaid for AppleCare+.
  16. #16  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Copying my reply from this thread:

    Another note on AppleCare+ is that you can only buy it within 30 days of buying a new iPhone. After that you're out of luck. From the Apple site:

    AppleCare+ must be purchased within 30 days of the date you bought your new iPhone. If you did not purchase AppleCare+ with your iPhone, you may purchase it at an Apple Retail Store. To buy AppleCare+ at an Apple Retail Store, a Specialist will first need to verify your iPhone purchase date and confirm that your iPhone has no pre-existing damage.

    If you missed the window, it helps to consider is what Apple charges for out-of-warranty repair/replacements; depending on your device and how careful you are with it, you might decide that AppleCare+ is not worth the money anyway:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 10.48.42 AM.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	23563

    So if you have a 4S and buy AppleCare+, you spend $99 no matter what, and $148 if you have to replace your phone ($197 if you break it twice in two years). Without it, you'd spend $199, but only if you need service. For me--someone who is really careful with his devices--I'm comfortable without it, knowing that if I do need non-warranty service, it's only going to cost me around fifty bucks* more than I'd pay if I had AppleCare+. Obviously, it gets more expensive if you manage to need two replacements in two years, but after owning three generations of iPhones I have yet to require any service for any of them. So for me it doesn't seem worth the initial payout, based on my history.

    *Depending on your device. My iPhone 5 would actually be about $80 more to replace outside of warranty, but my iPhone 4 would only cost $1 more than it would if I prepaid for AppleCare+.

    That’s a good point, Massie. As with ALL insurance, it’s about risk - what’s the risk/probability that you will do something or that something will happen to require the coverage. For many like me (and from your comments, you), it’s not worth it. But it’s there for those who are clumsy, careless or work/play in environments where "stuff happens".
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  17. #17  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,010 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,015 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Totally--my wife always gets AppleCare, and has used it more times than I can count. (Phone in washer, phone in puddle under car overnight, etc.)

    Bottom line: if you're GOING to get insurance, get AppleCare+ and not some crappy third party insurance.
    Fausty82 likes this.
  18. #18  
    iLive an iLife's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    761 Posts
    Global Posts
    869 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Apple Care

    Well I just left the Apple Store and got Apple Care+. I am planning on keeping this phone for awhile and rely on it too much if something would happen. Thanks for all of the input guys!
    Just remember, everything happens for a reason...

    If you found my post helpful, feel free to click "Thanks!"
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    kennethkilo's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Care

    Lol but what I meant was like at the end of a year, I might want to sell my phone. Of course it has a better value if it's nice and new, so I'll just use my apple care, spend 50$ to get it looking like new, and then sell it for 100$ more than if it was scratched up.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    kennethkilo's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Care

    So in short, I can pay 49$ to get a guaranteed aesthetically perfect phone from my original phone even if it only has a few minor scratches.
  21. #21  
    GibMcFragger's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    839 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,496 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Apple Care

    Quote Originally Posted by kennethkilo View Post
    So in short, I can pay 49$ to get a guaranteed aesthetically perfect phone from my original phone even if it only has a few minor scratches.
    Yes, but only a total of 2 times for the life of the AppleCare+ (2 years).
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    kennethkilo's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple Care

    lol! SICK! AWESOME!!! Screw using a case then. I'm going naked. Then when it gets bad, pay 50$ to get it allll goood. and Before i sell it for a iphone 5s ill use it once again :P

Similar Threads

  1. Apple care for iphone??
    By urbs42 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 10:59 AM
  3. F/S: iPhone 3G|s| JB on 3.1.3 w/ Spirit plus Apple Care + Xtras!!
    By Hack-My-I in forum Marketplace Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-07-2009, 10:36 AM
  5. Taking an unlocked & jb iPhone to Apple Care
    By Jaidnoire in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions