Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Default Transfer tunes from Sandisc to new iphone5

My iTunes expired as I joined the Droid world for a couple years. I have 400 songs on a 4g micro Sandisc and I'm just curious is there some crazy way I could get those to my new iphone5. At this point I don't have access to a laptop to use iTunes. I do have a Droid tablet. I'm sure I'm toast but worth a toss at the forum- Thanks Gang
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts

Default Re: Transfer tunes from Sandisc to new iphone5

Well since you don't have access to a laptop, something like DropBox might work for you. Although that's probably a cumbersome solution.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,937 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Without a computer you're pretty much out of luck...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

The necessity of using iTunes remains the weak link in the Apple ecosystem chain. When iOS 5 was announced, they made a huge deal about no longer being tied to a desktop because you could activate without a computer and backup to iCloud. But you still need a computer to sync your own music, video, and photos to your device. I hate it.
    iPhone Intermediate

It would be great if they released an optical drive for iOS devices and upgraded the iTunes app/combined it with the music app and you'd be able to rip your own CDs directly onto your phone/iPad. Photo stream does the job for photos, it's just music and movies (especially if you didn't have to rip DVDs, you could maybe play them straight from the disc)

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I would be happy if they made a apple iTunes server external drive
    So you can have access to all your media using nat but not have to have iTunes running on a computer

I'm also in for iPad and iPhone accessories like USB to support direct printing or flash drives

I know I know I can dream right ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    5,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    I would be happy if they made a apple iTunes server external drive
    So you can have access to all your media using nat but not have to have iTunes running on a computer

I'm also in for iPad and iPhone accessories like USB to support direct printing or flash drives

I know I know I can dream right ? Lol

You can get NAS drives which have built-in iTunes servers. Only works for
    music, I believe.

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    You can get NAS drives which have built-in iTunes servers. Only works for
    music, I believe.
    Ya I have seen one but the it cost 300 dollars and you have to buy your own drives still .. Would like a apple router to support this with a external USB drive

Global Posts
    5,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Ya I have seen one but the it cost 300 dollars and you have to buy your own drives still .. Would like a apple router to support this with a external USB drive

Ok that would be nice. You can find them cheaper than that. I have a Buffalo Linkstation Duo with 2 1TB that I can run in Raid 0 or 1. It came with the drives and I think it was just under $300 although it was a few years ago.

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Ok that would be nice. You can find them cheaper than that. I have a Buffalo Linkstation Duo with 2 1TB that I can run in Raid 0 or 1. It came with the drives and I think it was just under $300 although it was a few years ago.
    Does it run as a iTunes server without the need of a computer with iTunes turned on to access the media ?
    Like my 100 gigs of movies and 12 gigs of music ?

Global Posts
    5,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

It does for music but not video. No need to have a computer on running iTunes.

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

It does for music but not video. No need to have a computer on running iTunes.
    Can a Apple TV or iPad see it under shared ?

Global Posts
    5,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Not sure. It does show up as a shared library in iTunes.

Global Posts
    5,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

The non-RAID versions can be had for under $200 from Amazon for a single drive 2TB NAS. Dual-drive and RAID still under $300.

Here's the single drive one:

You can navigate the site to look at the others versions. They all come with the "Linkstation NAS System" which is described here:

Here is a snippet about Media Sharing:

MULTIMEDIA STREAMING AND SHARING
    LinkStation NAS System is equipped with multiple integrated multimedia servers for seamless streaming and playback of your favorite movies, music and more.
    DLNA Certified® Media Server
    LinkStation NAS System is equipped with a DLNA server for easily interconnecting digital devices. Stream digital content to any DLNA or UPnP media player on your network.
    Sony PS3™
    Xbox® 360
    Various DLNA compatible TVs
    Various DLNA compatible media streaming devices (WDTV, etc.)
    iTunes® Server
    LinkStation NAS System has an integrated iTunes server allowing users to set up LinkStation as a content source to easily stream content from their LinkStation device directly to any network device running iTunes.
    That still doesn't answer the question about whether it is visible on the Apple TV or iPad. I don't have mine anymore so I can't check for you (I switched over to a Mac Mini with a large attached FireWire drive. It does run all the time with iTunes though).

They do have forums that might answer your question. Since it also has a DLNA server, you could investigate apps that connect to DLNA rather than an iTunes server as well. I do know that a non-jailbroken AppleTV's don't support DLNA, but Firecore's jailbreak software does allow you to play stuff off of network shares.

Global Posts
    4,714 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

The non-RAID versions can be had for under $200 from Amazon for a single drive 2TB NAS. Dual-drive and RAID still under $300.

Here's the single drive one:

You can navigate the site to look at the others versions. They all come with the "Linkstation NAS System" which is described here:

Here is a snippet about Media Sharing:

That still doesn't answer the question about whether it is visible on the Apple TV or iPad. I don't have mine anymore so I can't check for you (I switched over to a Mac Mini with a large attached FireWire drive. It does run all the time with iTunes though).

They do have forums that might answer your question. Since it also has a DLNA server, you could investigate apps that connect to DLNA rather than an iTunes server as well. I do know that a non-jailbroken AppleTV's don't support DLNA, but Firecore's jailbreak software does allow you to play stuff off of network shares.
    Good info
    Thanks

But of it don't so movies its not worth it to me cuz I have match so my TVs get my music anyways

My iTunes purchased movie I can stream from apple but it my own copy's in iTunes that I would like to not have to have my laptop on to be able to access

Global Posts
    5,049 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

I used to use the NAS with a jail broken AppleTV2 running Firecore's atvFlash which lets you access anything on a network share.

No need for the iTunes server or DLNA just a network drive.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Probably the easiest way it to use somebody's else computer.