Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Default Should I get a Verizon or ATT iPhone 5 to use on T-Mobile ????

I'm currently on T-Mobile with my Galaxy Note 2 (great phone),,,but I also want to get an iPhone 5 to use
    and go back and forth between the Note 2 and the iPhone 5.

I'm bit confused on the ATT vs the Verizon iP5,,,,from what I have read the Verizon version is unlocked out of
    the box and the ATT version needs to be unlocked but its GSM,,, does that mean the ATT GSM version will work
    better with T-Mobile GSM and HSPA,, or will the Verizon version work just as well.

I'm also in Las Vegas where T-Mobile has there newer network up and running.

Anyhow,, sorry for the dumb newbie questions,,,, if ya"all could explain to me the pros and cons of getting an ATT or Verizon iPhone 5 to use on TM that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Davyo

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

All iPhone 5's have the same 3G GSM basebands so it doesn't matter except that the Verizon one it is unlocked.

If you're planning on using LTE then that matters because Verizon and AT&T iPhone 5's support different LTE frequencies.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Default Re: Should I get a Verizon or ATT iPhone 5 to use on T-Mobile ????

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    All iPhone 5's have the same 3G GSM basebands so it doesn't matter except that the Verizon one it is unlocked.

If you're planning on using LTE then that matters because Verizon and AT&T iPhone 5's support different LTE frequencies.
    When T-Mobile becomes LTE (rumor is early 2013) will the Verizon iP5 or the ATT iP5 be a better match for T-Mobile,s LTE ?

Thanks
    Davyo
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Side note: if using the Samsung Galaxy and iPhone 5 on T-Mobile or AT&T and swapping between devices remember each time you swap you'd need a new SIM card.

Right now on AT&T I swap between iPhone 4S and Samsung Galaxy S3. But since the SIM cards are the same size, no need for me to call AT&T, etc.

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Davyo View Post
    When T-Mobile becomes LTE (rumor is early 2013) will the Verizon iP5 or the ATT iP5 be a better match for T-Mobile,s LTE ?

Thanks
    Davyo
    You need to find out which frequency band they will be on. The Apple website has the LTE frequency bands for the AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5s.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,539 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

Default Re: Should I get a Verizon or ATT iPhone 5 to use on T-Mobile ????

Get an AT&T version. At the moment, t-mobile uses a frequency that isn't compatible with any iPhone for 3G (hspa+) data speeds. T-mobile is changing frequencies though and should be compatible soon. As for LTE, t-mobile will be on the 1700 MHz band, which the AT&T iPhone 5 supports.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah