Apple should come back to the US

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
With the constant success of apple products and profit margins up the giggy I think Apple should bite the bullet and bring all manufacturing back to the USA.

It's obvious with the QC issues of the i5 and people still can't find one that they can afford to cut profit margins and make a better name for themselves.

Do they really need to pay poor people 4 cents an hour to make there products. It will in time tarnish there image.

Think of how many jobs they could bring back to the US.

So what if they lose 15% of the profit margin paying Americans more than the Chinese.

I for one would feel even better about a company I already love if they moved operations back here.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It will never happen. With manufacturing costs here in the US, there's absolutely no way that Apple could make their products here and make a profit. Costs for products would have to go up 75-100% to maintain profitability for Apple. That means your iPhone would be $400 on-contract and your new 13" MacBook Pro would run you $5,000 instead of $2500.

anon(2353369)

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
It will never happen. With manufacturing costs here in the US, there's absolutely no way that Apple could make their products here and make a profit. Costs for products would have to go up 75-100% to maintain profitability for Apple. That means your iPhone would be $400 on-contract and your new 13" MacBook Pro would run you $5,000 instead of $2500.

I agree with you ^ 10+ points

fubaracing7374

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Very true.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Some studies I've read have said that an iPhone produced in America in union shops could run as much as $2000 for Apple to keep the same amount of profit per device they are making now, which is actually a lot less than you may think.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's funny that you understand it as being purely a profit driven situation...when in reality, it's a combination of things that keep manufacturing over seas.

For starters, you naively assume that the people who would do the work here would some how increase the QC that goes into the product...have you paid attention to the last 20+ years of American made cars? Only just recently have quality satisfaction ratings risen above "poor" on cars made in the U.S., and that is ONLY because the big three manufacturers are literally walking on egg shells and must over perform to meet the expectations placed on them by the government, tax payers and consumers. Then look at the overseas companies that bring manufacturing here to the states...check out the satisfaction ratings of people who bought BMW models built in Germany vs. those built here in the states. It speaks worlds.

Secondly...the % of money that would be redirected back into the product is not something that a company can just plug in and KNOW consumers will be ok with. You might be, a million consumers might be, but when you're dealing with tens of millions of consumers, you have to look at the whole picture. Let's say your 15% number is right just for arguments sake, at an unlocked price of $649, your % equals almost $100 in extra cost to the consumer...and with a product that costs so little, that amount of increase is going to dramatically effect sales. Look at how people react to gas prices...the changes there are MUCH smaller, and MUCH more spread out...but people absolutely lose their minds about it. This product isn't a necessity, it's a luxury...

Lastly, the pay to the employees is only one tiny piece of the puzzle when it comes to overseas manufacturing...taxes, pollution and waste disposal regulations, employee benefit costs, etc etc etc...the list goes for MILES vs. overseas production. Take that 15% you blindly estimated and jack it up A LOT more to be realistic.

In the end, the products we know, use and love would end up costing a staggering amount more...with ZERO guarantee of better quality (and based on historic record, a pretty good assumption that QC would maintain or lower).

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
It's funny that you understand it as being purely a profit driven situation...when in reality, it's a combination of things that keep manufacturing over seas.

For starters, you naively assume that the people who would do the work here would some how increase the QC that goes into the product...have you paid attention to the last 20+ years of American made cars? Only just recently have quality satisfaction ratings risen above "poor" on cars made in the U.S., and that is ONLY because the big three manufacturers are literally walking on egg shells and must over perform to meet the expectations placed on them by the government, tax payers and consumers.

Secondly...the % of money that would be redirected back into the product is not something that a company can just plug in and KNOW consumers will be ok with. You might be, a million consumers might be, but when you're dealing with tens of millions of consumers, you have to look at the whole picture. Let's say your 15% number is right just for arguments sake, at an unlocked price of $649, your % equals almost $100 in extra cost to the consumer...and with a product that costs so little, that amount of increase is going to dramatically effect sales. Look at how people react to gas prices...the changes there are MUCH smaller, and MUCH more spread out...but people absolutely lose their minds about it. This product isn't a necessity, it's a luxury...

Lastly, the pay to the employees is only one tiny piece of the puzzle when it comes to overseas manufacturing...taxes, pollution and waste disposal regulations, employee benefit costs, etc etc etc...the list goes for MILES vs. overseas production. Take that 15% you blindly estimated and jack it up a bit more to be realistic.

In the end, the products we know, use and love would end up costing a staggering amount more...with ZERO guarantee of better quality (and based on historic record, a pretty good assumption that QC would maintain or lower).

I totally agree with you. Profit is the easiest way to look at it; however, there is so much more to it. Utility costs in the US would run 2-3 times more per hour, management costs per employee would be huge, quality couldn't be ensured. Tons of reasons it's totally not feasible to bring this manufacturing to the US.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Some studies I've read have said that an iPhone produced in America in union shops could run as much as $2000 for Apple to keep the same amount of profit per device they are making now, which is actually a lot less than you may think.

For starters, you naively assume that the people who would do the work here would some how increase the QC that goes into the product...have you paid attention to the last 20+ years of American made cars? Only just recently have quality satisfaction ratings risen above "poor" on cars made in the U.S., and that is ONLY because the big three manufacturers are literally walking on egg shells and must over perform to meet the expectations placed on them by the government, tax payers and consumers. Then look at the overseas companies that bring manufacturing here to the states...check out the satisfaction ratings of people who bought BMW models built in Germany vs. those built here in the states. It speaks worlds.

Lastly, the pay to the employees is only one tiny piece of the puzzle when it comes to overseas manufacturing...taxes, pollution and waste disposal regulations, employee benefit costs, etc etc etc...the list goes for MILES vs. overseas production. Take that 15% you blindly estimated and jack it up A LOT more to be realistic.

What jclisenby & Sean stated are some of the things that certain political figures would rather you not know because it contradicts the misinformation being spread in regard to the so-called "evil rich" and the outsourcing of what they view to be lost American jobs. Well done, guys....:)

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
You have some good points. I guess it's not just what they pay the employees.

I just see those " concentration " type factories with horrible working conditions.

Those people work like dogs over there for pennies on a dollar.

I can't understand how the cost would go up as much as you guys stated it really sucks that its like that.

This is the reason we are struggling as a country, we lost all manufacturing and can't get it back because of tax laws and the fact that other people will work for $12 bucks a week.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You have some good points. I guess it's not just what they pay the employees.

I just see those " concentration " type factories with horrible working conditions.

Those people work like dogs over there for pennies on a dollar.

I can't understand how the cost would go up as much as you guys stated it really sucks that its like that.

This is the reason we are struggling as a country, we lost all manufacturing and can't get it back because of tax laws and the fact that other people will work for $12 bucks a week.

I've had the privilege of traveling throughout the world, especially during my Marine Corps days and what we Americans may consider inhumane or sub-par, is normal and acceptable in certain parts of the world. Too many of us don't realize how good we have it in this country and complain about things that others would kill to have or do.

cpc12

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This is true. The way things are going here it won't be long until we are working for $12 bucks a week.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is true. The way things are going here it won't be long until we are working for $12 bucks a week.

If (or when) that happens, you will have the government and the unions to blame. Unions served their purpose back in the day... but in today's world all they do is screw up everything for everyone. They protect workers who screw up and don’t produce. They have given us the "job bank" mentality where workers with no assignment go sit all day and collect their pay. The unions refused to let the companies reduce staff, even when there is no work for them. My brother-in-law is currently in that situation at a GM plant in Flint, MI.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Except for that without Unions still being around, MOST of us wouldn't have weekends off, get paid even close to what we get paid now, or have any benefits at all. We do still need them and we need them just as much now as we did when they started. They're not all perfect, but without them, you can kiss affording a cellphone, having a home or time off goodbye because you'll be lucky if you make $12 an hour or have time off at all. They fight for EVERY worker, whether you know it or not. Everyone needs to read that Howard Zinn book "People's History of the United States". It would open your eyes.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe bringing Apple back to the US is going to fix Any QC issues that they "might" have. Seems like there isn't much made over here anymore, but even so, we have QC issues as well.

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234