Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 73
Like Tree32Likes
  1. #26  
    Timhewitt's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    560 Posts

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    You guys do realize that one iPhone factory employs nearly 100,000,000 laborers today.

    Just where would you put that factory city in the US?

    If a US based assembly company wanted to bid on the Apple contract and build them here, I'm sure Apple would seriously consider them.

    Remember they do not run their own assembly facilities. They contract the service.
  2. #27  
    Retconaddict's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    100 Posts

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
    You have some good points. I guess it's not just what they pay the employees.

    I just see those " concentration " type factories with horrible working conditions.

    Those people work like dogs over there for pennies on a dollar.

    I can't understand how the cost would go up as much as you guys stated it really sucks that its like that.

    This is the reason we are struggling as a country, we lost all manufacturing and can't get it back because of tax laws and the fact that other people will work for $12 bucks a week.
    So you think that by taking away their jobs those people are somehow going to earn more money?
  3. #28  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by 03_CTD View Post

    Perhaps not such an eloquent reply after all!
    Now wait. I "skimmed" through the article and Jobs reply to the President and what the author is insulating are not the same. The article turned me off when it compared today's number of U.S. Apple employees with GM U.S employees from 30 & 50 years ago. Yes, the author was referring to the "Made in America" heyday, however, failing to quote the current number of American GM workers in comparison to Apple's is suspect, in my opinion. If the article did mention it, I missed it. Anyway, it was my understanding that "Jobs" did not go into great detail with the President about why those jobs would not return to the U.S.
  4. #29  
    naviwilliams's Avatar
    Distinguished

    Posts
    1,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,305 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.1

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Some brilliant points have been raised in this thread. And it is rather refreshing to read. I will say this, in a way we have to be thankful to companies like Apple for making the products that they do. They simply help the economy, period.

    And in answer to the thread title: no, Apple shouldn't bring the jobs\business back to the U.S. be thankful they sell the products here, again it is helping the economy!?! Boom...
  5. #30  
    ghostface147's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    3,396 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,475 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Never will happen. Where are we going to find half a million employees to stay in one location, work long hours, and not get paid high amount of wages? People in America can be lazy. They want pensions (or 401k), benefits, good pay, vacation and sick time, not working long hours, overtime and the like.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
  6. #31  
    Peligro911's Avatar

    Posts
    4,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,720 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    Never will happen. Where are we going to find half a million employees to stay in one location, work long hours, and not get paid high amount of wages? People in America can be lazy. They want pensions (or 401k), benefits, good pay, vacation and sick time, not working long hours, overtime and the like.
    That's why if they did I couldn't afford to buy a apple device because the price would double or more lol

    I say put the factory in Texas lol with support smaller factory's around the US


    Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  7. #32  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,949 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    The United States government, while very protecting of the businesses that are concrete in the system, do not make it favorable for companies to keep or bring their manufacturing and support sides here...and soon it's going to become worse, as the government is implementing a very expensive health care mandate on companies, which will end up throwing even more overseas. The pursuit of happiness comes with a very ugly set of rules now...it's more of a settling on a level of success now more so than a full on pursuit of success. Imagine what Ford, GM and Chrysler would have looked like if the kind of regulations on home grown production were in place back in the 30's and 40's...yikes!
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    JustMe'D likes this.
  8. #33  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The United States government, while very protecting of the businesses that are concrete in the system, do not make it favorable for companies to keep or bring their manufacturing and support sides here...and soon it's going to become worse, as the government is implementing a very expensive health care mandate on companies, which will end up throwing even more overseas. The pursuit of happiness comes with a very ugly set of rules now...it's more of a settling on a level of success now more so than a full on pursuit of success. Imagine what Ford, GM and Chrysler would have looked like if the kind of regulations on home grown production were in place back in the 30's and 40's...yikes!
    'Nuf said...
  9. #34  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    10,207 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Imagine what Ford, GM and Chrysler would have looked like if the kind of regulations on home grown production were in place back in the 30's and 40's...yikes!
    They would not exist at all had they had the regulatory burden companies have today.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  10. #35  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,949 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    They would not exist at all had they had the regulatory burden companies have today.
    Or...Fordyamkim, General Motors of the United Kingdom and Fiat...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  11. #36  
    JHBThree's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by cpc12 View Post
    You have some good points. I guess it's not just what they pay the employees.

    I just see those " concentration " type factories with horrible working conditions.

    Those people work like dogs over there for pennies on a dollar.

    I can't understand how the cost would go up as much as you guys stated it really sucks that its like that.

    This is the reason we are struggling as a country, we lost all manufacturing and can't get it back because of tax laws and the fact that other people will work for $12 bucks a week.
    And yet the truth of the matter is that the jobs in these factories not only pay significantly more, but also provide significantly better working conditions than the vast majority of jobs in china. It is easy to dismiss the pay and jobs if you only view it from the American perspective. When you actually view it through the Chinese perspective, then you'll understand the reality.
  12. #37  
    ame
    ame is offline
    ame's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,229 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Sorry, I guess we have to agree to disagree here. The unions most definitely served a purpose, but IMO, their time has passed, as evidenced by more and more states becoming "right to work" states.

    And unions are a big part of why most manufacturing has moved off shore. Companies cannot compete with foreign products, given the US labor costs (and waste re: job bank).
    Union or not, Americans expect to be paid more, and expect more benefits. We are an entitled bunch. We have demands that no one else in the world expects, not without paying a lot higher tax rate than we are willing to pay. We want everything and we want it all for free. These people are happy to work their fingers to the bone for pennies just to have a chance at a better life and food for their families, things we take for granted and dare not do ourselves.

    As for your right to work state comment: right to work states have a lower median income rate for employees, meaning that while they might get more people employed, they employ them for a lower wages, shorter term employment and with little/lesser quality or no benefits at all, eg service industries, retail (WALMART), food service, not necessarily long term, family supporting jobs. So it might "create jobs" but it creates crappier, less stable jobs. Right to work is essentially passing a law at the state level to allow Unions to negotiate contracts for everyone whether or not they pay the Union for membership, in hopes that more people will not be members of a Union. It's a republican anti-Union tactic to break the Union, which is seen as anti-business, and Republicans are pro-business, and do anything they can to help the business, i.e. the millionaires, i.e. themselves. There are actually a lot of Republicans that are anti-RTW legislation, though the tea party movement is ousting them, or was, and now appears to be losing their ground.

    We might disagree, but part of my current semester and next semester towards my employment law degree is actually focusing on this, and I have a whole year of labor law study (which is common in employment law) and while I can see how some people don't think Unions have a place in modern society, and some Unions have really overextended their reach and have really borked it for the others, there really are some really important qualities that they provide to all Americans and all workers, whether people want to accept those facts or not. We Americans are a greedy, ungrateful bunch, we expect a lot, and we expect it now, and without much sacrifice, and as time goes on, we have no idea what the generations before us worked for and gave up and lost lives for. So, no, Unions have not passed their time of "shelf life" and they are needed more now than maybe their inception, since we have to compete globally to earn a fair wage for the amount of time we have to give up of our lives to compete with 10 year old Chinese and Filipino kids working 20 hour days in a factory to make us crappy shoes and gadgets that we then pay nothing for at stores like Walmart and Target.

    I paid my way through my first degree even through my masters for a field that was not going to cut it to raise a family on. I worked my a$$ off in three jobs. One of which was Union. The field my degrees are in was not Union, but I wish like hell they were, because I worked 18 hours a day, 7 days a week to support some worthless dickbag who didn't deserve the amount of effort I put in to making the clients happy. I saved every cent I earned. I am glad my husband had a job that made ends meet. He isn't Union, but works with guys that are in a company that's half Union, depending on the type of work. If not for him being paid fairly, for the insane amount of hours he has to work to keep up with the guys who are based in India, Phillipines, Brazil, etc. and paid half his wage and would KILL to get promoted to work on the mainland, I wouldn't be able to pay for law school to get a second career.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
    cardfan and redbeard like this.
  13. #38  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Since we are talking about Unions now, I'll use Hostess as my example. The workers were making great money but the union bosses thought they deserved more. The company couldn't afford to pay more, and the rest is history. Unions are no good in 2012.
    John T likes this.
  14. #39  
    ame
    ame is offline
    ame's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,229 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    Since we are talking about Unions now, I'll use Hostess as my example. The workers were making great money but the union bosses thought they deserved more. The company couldn't afford to pay more, and the rest is history. Unions are no good in 2012.
    Actually, Hostess came out of their first bankruptcy still millions in debt, rare, and practically unheard of. Yet in light of that fact, they were paying their CEO's millions in salary, some even got insane raises and bonuses within the last few months. That single CEO's yearly salary alone could've paid years in salaries and pensions for the $15/hr workers and that's not even factoring in his massive bonus, the one which he still gets paid despite running them back into a 2nd bankruptcy again so soon after taking the reigns. You do not pay a CEO or any executive a salary of that amount when you are that far in the hole and expect to actually get out of debt. Period. You pay him 1Ę til they are in the black, as you do all the Sr. Management, THEN you figure out how to deal with his salary and if he gets a bonus when and IF they are ever in the black. Add to the fact that they as a company did NO new product innovation in decades. That is a dying company. Again, not a Union problem, that's management.

    So explain to me how that is a Union's fault? The "Union Bosses" weren't making much money, nor were the Union workers. $15 an hour is hardly a lifelong sustainable wage, nor is it one that breaks a huge corporation, nor is it "great money". So how is that an example of why Unions are no good in 2012? Sounds like you have listened to the propaganda and not done a lot of actual research.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
    Thanked by:
    redbeard (11-29-2012)
    redbeard likes this.
  15. #40  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by jclisenby View Post
    Since we are talking about Unions now, I'll use Hostess as my example. The workers were making great money but the union bosses thought they deserved more. The company couldn't afford to pay more, and the rest is history. Unions are no good in 2012.
    This is a great example of the (perhaps) unintended consequences of unions. Ame has made the point for me that unions are definitely an accessory to the problem of "greedy Americans". Sure we all want more. But realistically, itís not possible. If we all made more money, the widgets that we all produce would cost more, effectively leaving our relative standard of living unchanged.

    I used to work for a financial organization with offices in NYC. I am still amazed that the people who worked in their Manhattan office were not allowed to move their own computers from one location to another - it was a "service" provided by a union... so rather than just moving their computers, they would typically waste half a way waiting on the union computer mover to show up and do his 10 minutes of work.

    The process of restoring electricity to locations hit by hurricane Sandy was slowed when the union electrical workers at the loca utility companies refused to allow crews from other areas of the country to help them. Instead of welcoming the help to get the city back on the road to recovery, they protested, calling the would be helpers scabs (and worse) and accusing them of trying to take food off of their tables.

    Perhaps these are simply anecdotal anomalies... but it has been my experience, as well. BTW, my father was a union carpenter in the midwest for over 40 years. Iíve seen it from both sides.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  16. #41  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    This is a great example of the (perhaps) unintended consequences of unions. Ame has made the point for me that unions are definitely an accessory to the problem of "greedy Americans". Sure we all want more. But realistically, itís not possible. If we all made more money, the widgets that we all produce would cost more, effectively leaving our relative standard of living unchanged.

    I used to work for a financial organization with offices in NYC. I am still amazed that the people who worked in their Manhattan office were not allowed to move their own computers from one location to another - it was a "service" provided by a union... so rather than just moving their computers, they would typically waste half a way waiting on the union computer mover to show up and do his 10 minutes of work.

    The process of restoring electricity to locations hit by hurricane Sandy was slowed when the union electrical workers at the loca utility companies refused to allow crews from other areas of the country to help them. Instead of welcoming the help to get the city back on the road to recovery, they protested, calling the would be helpers scabs (and worse) and accusing them of trying to take food off of their tables.

    Perhaps these are simply anecdotal anomalies... but it has been my experience, as well. BTW, my father was a union carpenter in the midwest for over 40 years. Iíve seen it from both sides.
    We had that issue with our local utility company. They sent about 8 trucks up and were turned away when they arrived because they were not union employees. Thankfully, I live in a right to work state and plan to keep it that way.
  17. #42  
    jclisenby's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,335 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,372 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Actually, Hostess came out of their first bankruptcy still millions in debt, rare, and practically unheard of. Yet in light of that fact, they were paying their CEO's millions in salary, some even got insane raises and bonuses within the last few months. That single CEO's yearly salary alone could've paid years in salaries and pensions for the $15/hr workers and that's not even factoring in his massive bonus, the one which he still gets paid despite running them back into a 2nd bankruptcy again so soon after taking the reigns. You do not pay a CEO or any executive a salary of that amount when you are that far in the hole and expect to actually get out of debt. Period. You pay him 1Ę til they are in the black, as you do all the Sr. Management, THEN you figure out how to deal with his salary and if he gets a bonus when and IF they are ever in the black. Add to the fact that they as a company did NO new product innovation in decades. That is a dying company. Again, not a Union problem, that's management.

    So explain to me how that is a Union's fault? The "Union Bosses" weren't making much money, nor were the Union workers. $15 an hour is hardly a lifelong sustainable wage, nor is it one that breaks a huge corporation, nor is it "great money". So how is that an example of why Unions are no good in 2012? Sounds like you have listened to the propaganda and not done a lot of actual research.
    I've worked with Union employees on the job, and I can tell you from experience that the entire structure is crap. They make it so that people who are qualified and knowledgeable cant get jobs or appropriate wages because they are forcing companies to pay for people or services they don't need. The number of right to work states is rising and I think we will see an end to unions before too long. Either the unions go or the US economy goes. I'm hoping its not the economy.
  18. #43  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    "Republican tactics"? You mean like another Party's deliberate attempt to force "the rich" to pay their "fair share" and prevent them from making money "off the backs of poor people" when in fact that rhetoric filled tactic is essentially to redistribute wealth from the private sector over to the government sector allegedly made of the people, by the people & for the people, yet "we the people" will also be burdened by heavy taxes and forced to be dependent on a new all-powerful government instead of powerfully independent of government? I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. ...
  19. #44  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    "Republican tactics"? You mean like another Party's deliberate attempt to force "the rich" to pay their "fair share" and prevent them from making money "off the backs of poor people" when in fact that rhetoric filled tactic is essentially to redistribute wealth from the private sector over to the government sector allegedly made of the people, by the people & for the people, yet "we the people" will also be burdened by heavy taxes and forced to be dependent on a new all-powerful government instead of powerfully independent? I'm sorry. I could t help myself. ...
    Thanks for saying that... so I don’t have to.

    Pick your poison - unions and their corruption or cradle-to-grave handouts and their corruption.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  20. #45  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Thanks for saying that... so I donít have to.

    Pick your poison - unions and their corruption or cradle-to-grave handouts and their corruption.
    No problem, my friend.
  21. #46  
    ame
    ame is offline
    ame's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,229 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    This is a great example of the (perhaps) unintended consequences of unions. Ame has made the point for me that unions are definitely an accessory to the problem of "greedy Americans". Sure we all want more. But realistically, it’s not possible. If we all made more money, the widgets that we all produce would cost more, effectively leaving our relative standard of living unchanged.

    I used to work for a financial organization with offices in NYC. I am still amazed that the people who worked in their Manhattan office were not allowed to move their own computers from one location to another - it was a "service" provided by a union... so rather than just moving their computers, they would typically waste half a way waiting on the union computer mover to show up and do his 10 minutes of work.

    The process of restoring electricity to locations hit by hurricane Sandy was slowed when the union electrical workers at the loca utility companies refused to allow crews from other areas of the country to help them. Instead of welcoming the help to get the city back on the road to recovery, they protested, calling the would be helpers scabs (and worse) and accusing them of trying to take food off of their tables.

    Perhaps these are simply anecdotal anomalies... but it has been my experience, as well. BTW, my father was a union carpenter in the midwest for over 40 years. I’ve seen it from both sides.
    So why the hate for Unions then? And why bite the hand that fed you and gave you the opportunities beyond being just a white man gives you and probably provided your father and family a living and fair wage for all those years, a pension for your mom after he retired and health benefits far exceeding most other career paths or trades? Your acting like you're owed more than oxygen by this life.* The people of your father's generation and even the ones before him gave their LIVES to fight for a fair wage for all of us to follow. My parents generation, this next upcoming generation, and my own gen x, can't see their hand in front of their face. They don't see the future they're leaving for the next few generations. They don't care about anyone but themselves. They don't care that without Unions, no one is equal or fair, and that we're going backwards. You probably got your job in your Manhattan Financial firm thinking you were qualified on paper. But I would bet you money that you were hired because you were a white man. And if not white, you're just a man. And if you were up against a far more qualified woman, of any race, you being a white dude, you got hired over her regardless of your qualifications. And if she also got hired later, she gets paid significantly less than you, and has far less opportunity for advancement. Regardless of what any "policy" the company states they have, women are far less likely to advance, and do not get paid equally. Without a Union, I as a woman, white or not, have no chance of being promoted or paid equally to you, regardless of my qualifications. Look at it from your wife's perspective (assuming you are married). She's not promoted despite being well earned, or paid equal to a male colleague, simply because of her genitalia. Now--I realize you say Carpenters above, and they are one Union that has a lot of problems within the ranks of the Construction trades, and themselves. They are one that has a lot of corruption, but their rank and file are quite loyal to the membership. So having an issue with a "Union Boss" in the ranks there, not entirely shocking. But not all of the Unions, as I have said before, are corrupt or have issues.

    As for the comment above about "greedy Americans" being caused by Unions....Unions have very little to do with this entitlement nonsense. That's across the board, and its been most pronounced with the people who hate Unions the most, the ones who want all the "government handouts" to stop, while complaining about how horrible the roads and traffic are, and how much it sucks to have to pay for health insurance but that feel they should have the best quality health coverage, a safe city and their house safe from fires, how dare anyone get unemployment extended (but when I get laid off I better get it!) but without paying a dime for any of it. *
    Last edited by ame; 11-28-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
    Thanked by:
    redbeard (11-29-2012)
    redbeard likes this.
  22. #47  
    ame
    ame is offline
    ame's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,443 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,229 Global Posts

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    "Republican tactics"? You mean like another Party's deliberate attempt to force "the rich" to pay their "fair share" and prevent them from making money "off the backs of poor people" when in fact that rhetoric filled tactic is essentially to redistribute wealth from the private sector over to the government sector allegedly made of the people, by the people & for the people, yet "we the people" will also be burdened by heavy taxes and forced to be dependent on a new all-powerful government instead of powerfully independent of government? I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. ...
    Actually I think we should all be paying a TON more in taxes, and I think they should be forcing the 2% who hide their money offshore to avoid paying their taxes at all to actually pay any taxes besides just raising them and close any and all loopholes. We have one of the lowest if not the lowest tax rate in the world, and we're in the hole up to our asses. And privatizing services will not fix the economy, it will just make the same 10 people richer and everyone else poorer.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
    Thanked by:
    redbeard (11-29-2012)
    redbeard likes this.
  23. #48  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Actually I think we should all be paying a TON more in taxes, and I think they should be forcing the 2% who hide their money offshore to avoid paying their taxes at all to actually pay any taxes besides just raising them and close any and all loopholes. We have one of the lowest if not the lowest tax rate in the world, and we're in the hole up to our asses. And privatizing services will not fix the economy, it will just make the same 10 people richer and everyone else poorer.
    Everyone should pay their fair share - but those who risk their wealth and means should not be penalized for doing so. The liberals have engaged in class warfare for years - with the express purpose of providing cradle-to-grave "entitlements" ... where do you think that money comes from? As Ronald Reagan said "government is not the solution to our problem. Government IS the problem".
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  24. #49  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,090 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Apple should come back to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by ame View Post
    Actually I think we should all be paying a TON more in taxes,
    Why? For the sake of this discussion, let's say that I applied to work for Company A who paid me a generous salary which gave me the means to better provide for my family. Now, being that you think we should all be paying a TON more in taxes, wouldn't that weaken my ability to better provide for my family? How much of my salary that "I" worked for should i keep, in your opinion? please be specific. Furthermore, if I am to pay a TON more in taxes, is that in addition to or separate from income taxes? Speaking of "income taxes", you do realize that it is a tax on income. Those who do not earn an "income" do not pay income taxes and guess what, a great deal of those people are the very people allegedly in need of help while others are certain wealthy people.
    I think they should be forcing the 2% who hide their money offshore to avoid paying their taxes at all to actually pay any taxes besides just raising them and close any and all loopholes.
    You do realize that many of the left leaning politicians are among that 2% and they, too, hide their money offshore to avoid paying taxes. Think of Warren Buffet. Isn't he still fighting to not pay back taxes while hypocritically claiming to be pro-tax?
    We have one of the lowest if not the lowest tax rate in the world, and we're in the hole up to our asses.
    Here's a secret. We've been in a hole for a while and up until March 23, 2011 when the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act became effective, everything was salvageable.
    And privatizing services will not fix the economy, it will just make the same 10 people richer and everyone else poorer.
    You're kidding, right?
  25. #50  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,949 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Apple should come back to the US

    I'm a part of the federal union of law enforcement and protective services officers...it's one of the strongest unions in the country and they do some great things for us without as much as a finger lifted on our part (though some substantial dollars invested)...that said, they also make bone head moves, push non-issues into major procedural changes that cause nothing but headache and have been known to be quite inconsistent with support of individuals.

    I see the good and the bad, but given i have no choice to participate in it, i just go with it and hope for the best...they've increased my salary faster than any local government union would have, but they've also cost me a lot of time with BS changes that require redundant and wasteful training and classes.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    cardfan likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying from the US to bring back to the UK?
    By MorningSon in forum iPhone 5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 06:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
  3. Does Apple store go back to regular hours tomorrow?
    By sailorgirl in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 02:05 AM

Posting Permissions

B