"Notification" lamp on 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybird28

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Is there something I'm missing on my new phone. I want to be alerted with my notification lamp (if there is one) when I receive new messages. In settings I move the Notification command to on. Any thoughts???

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
There isn't a proper notification light but if you go to accessibility settings, there is a setting to use the flash as a notification light.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there something I'm missing on my new phone. I want to be alerted with my notification lamp (if there is one) when I receive new messages. In settings I move the Notification command to on. Any thoughts???

If you want an annoying flashing LED, buy a BlackBerry (or any of a select few Android phones). Apple has wisely chosen NOT to put an annoying flashing light on their phone. There’s a kludge that allows you to use the camera flash as a basic LED, but no more than that.

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
If you want an annoying flashing LED, buy a BlackBerry (or any of a select few Android phones). Apple has wisely chosen NOT to put an annoying flashing light on their phone. There?s a kludge that allows you to use the camera flash as a basic LED, but no more than that.

1) There is nothing annoying about a flashing LED notification light
2) It was hardly a 'wise' choice
3) Using the flash is not a viable alternative

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
1) There is nothing annoying about a flashing LED notification light
2) It was hardly a 'wise' choice
3) Using the flash is not a viable alternative

If having a blinky-light for notifications is so bloody important to you, why on God's green earth did you buy an iPhone when it does not have one, and that information is widely known and could have been ascertained before buying one?

StevesBalls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If having a blinky-light for notifications is so bloody important to you, why on God's green earth did you buy an iPhone when it does not have one, and that information is widely known and could have been ascertained before buying one?

Maybe he didn't know. Or he picked the phone based on other criteria, the iPhone has lots of other pros, you know. Whatever it is, the notification light is a handy feature, unfortunately it is missing on the iPhone. No need to go bashing around just cause he likes a certain feature that you have no use for.

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not so 'bloody' important to me, I was well aware the iPhone doesn't have that feature, and it had no bearing whatsoever on my decision to purchase one.
I was just making an observation, expressing an opinion... OK?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he didn't know. Or he picked the phone based on other criteria, the iPhone has lots of other pros, you know. Whatever it is, the notification light is a handy feature, unfortunately it is missing on the iPhone. No need to go bashing around just cause he likes a certain feature that you have no use for.

Please...

The notification blinky-light is NOT MISSING on an iPhone. Apple made deliberate design choices not to put one on their devices.

If one is so dependent on a notification blinky-light and they buy an iPhone anyway, it is flat out stupid to come here and complain that the phone they bought has no blinky-light. Bottom line, if one wants notification lights, they shouldn't buy an iPhone, and if they buy one anyway, they ought not come to a place like this an whine about missing their beloved blinky-light.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's not so 'bloody' important to me, I was well aware the iPhone doesn't have that feature, and it had no bearing whatsoever on my decision to purchase one.
I was just making an observation, expressing an opinion... OK?

And I'm making an observation and expressing an opinion that happens to be contrary to yours... OK?

Last edited:

StevesBalls

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple Fanboys anyone

This. Please let's not be what the Android lovers would call "Apple sheep". The notification light is a great feature, unfortunately Apple made the decision not to include one. That's all there is to it. No platform is perfect, you'll always make some compromises. There is enough to love about the iPhone, no need to be a biased fanboy about it.

Phill_UK

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So why are you whining about the iPhone not having something you know it doesn't have?
Wind your neck in... nobody here is whining or complaining except you.
I'm a multi-platform user, and have that feature on my other devices. I happen to find it quite useful. The fact that the iPhone hasn't got it doesn't bother me. I was just stating that it isn't an annoying feature, and think it would be a nice addition to iOS. If you didn't like it, you could disable it... nice to have the choice though.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there has ever been a thread anywhere, ever, about LED notifications that hasn't devolved into petty bickering. That would be awesome.

Terrigno

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
The notification light is one of the best features on a BlackBerry. And would have been a great feature to have on the IPhone. Just my 2 cents...

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I too would have liked to see a notification light, if anyone could make a notification light sexy it would be apple. Who knows, now that Johnny Ives has more control of the experience perhaps we will see something in the future.

glamrlama

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hurray for blinky lights. These are a wonderful feature on some other non iphones. With various BB apps in particular you can actually configure the colour of the LED for certain people/conditions. You can tell from across the room if a call/message/text is from your wife OR one of your kids OR a buddy OR from work (and ignore it if you desire). You can disable it if you do not like it. I'm still amazed that it is not available on an iphone. The physical hardware cost must be pennies or a fraction thereof. It is an outrageously useful feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative