Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Default Re: "Notification" lamp on 5

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    So how is this different/better than being able to set different ringtones, email notifications sounds, etc (other than the obvious fact that one is light and the other sound)?.
    Mostly an LED gives real-time notice of something waiting for you. When I walk back into my office for example, I just need to glance at my (BlackBerry) phone on my desk to know if something is waiting for me. It literally takes a half second to know if something's up. Without the LED, I'd have to pick up the phone and check for notifications, or wait for an alert sound to beep again.

And while sounds are great, often in an office environment they need to be muted as much as possible, so an LED is less intrusive to others.
    Thanked by:
    Karenkcoulter (11-27-2012)
    redbeard likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Default "Notification" lamp on 5

The led notification was a good feature on my blackberry... Actually it was the only good feature. I could take it or leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,960 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    Mostly an LED gives real-time notice of something waiting for you. When I walk back into my office for example, I just need to glance at my (BlackBerry) phone on my desk to know if something is waiting for me. It literally takes a half second to know if something's up. Without the LED, I'd have to pick up the phone and check for notifications, or wait for an alert sound to beep again.

And while sounds are great, often in an office environment they need to be muted as much as possible, so an LED is less intrusive to others.
    Thanks for the info. I don't think I'd use that feature if it existed but I see where some might find it useful. Personally I just bring my phone everywhere so I always know if I have a call, txt, email waiting even if I don't attend to it right away.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird28 View Post
    Is there something I'm missing on my new phone. I want to be alerted with my notification lamp (if there is one) when I receive new messages. In settings I move the Notification command to on. Any thoughts???
    To cut a path through the bashing, there is no LED, but there ARE notifications: visual, audible, and vibrational. You have more notification options than any LED could provide:
    Badges that appear on the app icon
    Banners that flash at the top of screen or sit mid screen until you act on them. (You can set banners on lock screen, home screen or both - you choose)
    Sounds - choose any sound from the menu - different sounds for different functions if you wish.
    Vibration - on or off.

To SEE when something comes in, set 'BADGES" to ON. You will see a little red bubble that indicates something new has landed. You will see a number (count of new arrivals) when you have received more than one. Badges will appear on specific apps, wherever they sit: in dock, on home screen, on other screens. Put the apps you care about on home screen so you can see badges all in one place.

To see from lock screen, read up on BANNERS to decide what you want to see, for how long, and where.

You can also pull down the notification bar (swipe from top of any screen except lock screen). You decide what shows there, it will all appear in a nice organized list - you can clear by category whenever you want.

In short, there are dozens of permutations for this - more than a single LED ever could do. Put link to imore.com/tips/ on your homescreen for iPhone 101.

Good luck!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,879 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

People also threw a fuss up when cassette players were no longer offered in cars...it'll pass.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My Blackberry's from back in the day, as well as my last Android phone all had Notification LED's on them. I love it. You can check for messages, etc with a quick glance, rather than having to pick your phone up and turn on the screen.

Yes I know the iPhone doesn't, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
    redbeard and The Furbz like this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    Outrageously useful for you. Outrageously useless for me...
    Is it actually possible for you to reply to a post WITHOUT being a *****?

Just asking..
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3

Global Posts
    11,881 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets View Post
    Is it actually possible for you to reply to a post WITHOUT being a *****?

Just asking..
    He has his opinion... I have mine. You don't like mine... so you call me a name. How nice of you.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Intermediate

He has his opinion... I have mine. You don't like mine... so you call me a name. How nice of you.
    To be fair you were the one who started getting aggressive. There's no point trying to play the victim now
    GibMcFragger and The Furbz like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

shiit here we go again
    GibMcFragger and StevesBalls like this.

Global Posts
    4,263 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I wouldn't care if there was a notification light if Apple did what RIM does and
    gave the ability to turn it off. That way both parties are happy.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    redbeard likes this.

Global Posts
    11,881 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Retconaddict View Post
    To be fair you were the one who started getting aggressive. There's no point trying to play the victim now
    Feel free to add me to your forum ignore list... both of your usernames are now on mine. Have a pleasant evening, and a wonderful forum life. I shan't ever see your missives, or dismissives such as this ever again.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You are completely entitled to have your own opinion, as is he. That doesn't mean you have to trash talk his opinion like yours is superior. It's not what you say that's the issue, it's HOW. Read your replies from another persons perspective.. You come off as arrogant.
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
    The Furbz likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,501 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    shiit here we go again
    Hahaha nah. All good man. I've said my piece.
    iPhone 6 128GB Slate
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    ATV3
    The Furbz likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets View Post
    You are completely entitled to have your own opinion, as is he. That doesn't mean you have to trash talk his opinion like yours is superior. It's not what you say that's the issue, it's HOW. Read your replies from another persons perspective.. You come off as arrogant.
    Good post. Very well said.
    The Furbz likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,879 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Just to put it out there, his initial response that you guys are referring to as "arrogant" was in response to a post where an obvious Blackberry fan inferred that someone's opinion was inaccurate some how, specifically telling that person that his opinion of an "annoying LED notification light" was "wrong" (though how someone could deduce that another person's opinion is more wrong or right than their own is a little confusing to say the least.) You can't single out people as being "arrogant" if you're not going to go after the genesis of the issue...just saying.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    kch50428 (11-27-2012), GibMcFragger (11-27-2012)
    kch50428 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

At last count we had 1,365,012 threads debating the relative merit of having a blinky light. Half of them are closed due to hostility. This one is being closed before we get there.

Thanks and have a great day!
    GibMcFragger and kch50428 like this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12