Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Alli
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts

Default Do Not Disturb and Notifications?

Hiya, I've been considering an iPhone, but coming from a BlackBerry I'm a little confused about how iPhone notifications work. I've read and watched a number of tutorials, but I'm a little unclear about:

1) I assume that Do Not Disturb will silence all notifications (texts, facebook, etc.) except phone calls from certain people, if desired. But can it be configured to allow phone calls and texts to notify (beep) me? Can certain email accounts alert me? Or are phone calls the only optional alerts?

2) In normal use (not Do Not Disturb), can you set different alert sounds for texts, emails, etc. so that you know what type of message you received just by sound alone?

3) Are there apps which can modify the behavior of alerts, such as beeping 40 times instead of the usual maximum (I think) of 20, etc.?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Default Re: Do Not Disturb and Notifications?

No, no, and no. This is basically the DND beta on iOS.
    John Yester likes this.

Global Posts
    6,340 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by katesbb View Post
    2) In normal use (not Do Not Disturb), can you set different alert sounds for texts, emails, etc. so that you know what type of message you received just by sound alone?
    You can set up one alert sound for texts and a different one for email. In addition if you have multiple email accounts you can have a different sound for each email account.

Global Posts
    15,621 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

iOS: Understanding Notifications

John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Yester View Post
    iOS: Understanding Notifications

Thank you, very imformative! I've watched lots of YouTube tutorials as well, but just wondered if maybe I was missing more hidden features.

My situation is that I need to allow certain email accounts and texts to wake me at night, as they're critical for my work... but want to silence personal emails. I suppose I could partly do that manually every evening at bedtime though. It's just that my BlackBerry has me spoiled, as you can teach it (with an app) to silence specific accounts and services as soon as the charger is plugged in at night.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,592 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

BB devices certainly have more customizable notification settings (natively)...but lack in almost every other category that exists on a smart phone these days. I had a friend who worked in the medical field who felt a switch over to iPhone would be impossible for him because of his reliance on the familiar BB settings and functions. He got an iPhone 5 back in October and replaced his BB Bold with it...he said after a couple of months he'd never go back and all of the function he needed was possible in some way, shape or form with the iPhone, and those things that weren't turned out not to be as important as he initially thought.

Not to say that will be the same in your case, but a lot of BB users have be apprehensive about the switch because of what seemed like a lack of "settings", but as it turns out, those things they felt they had to have really didn't hold as much weight after they entered the iOS environment.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    John Yester likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

True. You may lose a feature or two that you think you really need (for now), but you gain so much more in return. I was die hard BB years ago and swore I'd never buy anything Apple.

Now a few years later, my entire household is Apple. iMac, Apple TV, iPad, iPhones, you name it. I would never go back. You don't realize how lacking Blackberry's are in all areas (other than emails and notifications) until you find something else.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3

Global Posts
    21,155 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It is no secret that I'm a Blackberry fan and I've made that fact known many times. I am very pleased with my decision to not only give Apple a try, but also Android, Palm & Windows Mobile. I've enjoyed every device I've ever own and I'm more than happy with my Apple products. Still, I will not say that I would NEVER go back to Blackberry or even Android, but I will confess that it will take a heckuva device to sway me away from the iPhone at this stage in my life.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets View Post
    True. You may lose a feature or two that you think you really need (for now), but you gain so much more in return. I was die hard BB years ago and swore I'd never buy anything Apple.

Now a few years later, my entire household is Apple. iMac, Apple TV, iPad, iPhones, you name it. I would never go back. You don't realize how lacking Blackberry's are in all areas (other than emails and notifications) until you find something else.
    True, true, I just wish I could have it all lol: the iPhone's great browser and apps, and the BB's fantastic notifications, LED and Alert Profiles

I love the iPhone, it's so integrated, fluid and well thought out. But I keep getting stuck on this very real practical problem of needing a phone to alert me when something critical happens at work. And it seems like if I'm away from my iPhone for more than twenty minutes (10 alerts at 2 minutes apart), then I'll never know about it until I actually take the phone out and look at it again.

With the BB, as long as my phone isn't blinking or beeping, I know all is well in my world, as it won't shut up until I acknowledge it, lol. I know people have said they don't want to be a slave to their phone like that, but I have to be because of my work.

Do you all just kinda get into the routine of manually checking your phone now and then to be sure you haven't missed anything?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I went full time iPhone from BlackBerry (I used to carry both with the BlackBerry my primary phone) about a year ago & have no regrets. To be fair iPhone Notifications are crap & in my experience the thing that will annoy you is Apples refusal to put very basic functions in that are quite clearly needed & force a lot of us to Jailbreak to get them (the ability to kill ALL running apps with a single touch, quick access to important functions such as Bluetooth, wifi on/off toggle etc) my main gripe & probably one of the only things I miss from my BlackBerry is all of the notification settings. The fact you don't have a little icon at the top of the screen with a number next to it is a pain. And also I believe a notification should always be there in some form until its been opened. Anyway other than that the iPhone is excellent with great apps so as long as you can stomach iTunes it's a no brainier.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,592 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

True, true, I just wish I could have it all lol: the iPhone's great browser and apps, and the BB's fantastic notifications, LED and Alert Profiles

I love the iPhone, it's so integrated, fluid and well thought out. But I keep getting stuck on this very real practical problem of needing a phone to alert me when something critical happens at work. And it seems like if I'm away from my iPhone for more than twenty minutes (10 alerts at 2 minutes apart), then I'll never know about it until I actually take the phone out and look at it again.

With the BB, as long as my phone isn't blinking or beeping, I know all is well in my world, as it won't shut up until I acknowledge it, lol. I know people have said they don't want to be a slave to their phone like that, but I have to be because of my work.

Do you all just kinda get into the routine of manually checking your phone now and then to be sure you haven't missed anything?
    I check my phone so often throughout the day that i doubt a notification system like BB relies on would be all that helpful for me...the iPhone does so much that I'm constantly using it for something besides notifications, and they just happen to let me know whats up while im doing something else.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The SMS and iMessage has repeat notifications. As for emails, nothing is drastically important so I just check it every now and then.

I do miss the LED though. I am with you on that one. Quickest way to check without having to turn your screen on.
    Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, 12GB RAM on OSX Mavericks GM
    iPhone 5s 32GB Gold
    iPad 16GB Wifi (3rd gen)
    iPad Mini 16GB Wifi
    ATV3
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MasterofPuppets View Post
    The SMS and iMessage has repeat notifications. As for emails, nothing is drastically important so I just check it every now and then.

I do miss the LED though. I am with you on that one. Quickest way to check without having to turn your screen on.
    Funny, I was the total opposite. After my 3GS and a brief stint with Android I went to BlackBerry for about 8 months and I never once thought about the LED. I always just instinctively grabbed the phone and turned it on as it was usually quicker than waiting and watching it for a blinking light.
    Repeat SMS and iMessage notifications drive me crazy though. I'm still always expecting more messages than I actually have. Too bad it can't be turned off.

That being said I can certainly sympathize with the OP on this one. While I myself have no need to use notifications in such a way I can see how this option would be useful but, more so how annoying and frustrating it would be to discover that the option simply is not there.

For such a productive phone/os/ecosystem that is becoming the new benchmark in the corporate world you would have to assume that these options would be available to you. iOS has progressed leaps and bounds in the notifications area over the last couple of years so I have no doubt that these options will be available to us soon.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    838 Global Posts

If the iPhone's screen is dark (timed out), does it turn on when a notification (new email, new text, etc.) is received?

Global Posts
    3,791 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

If the iPhone's screen is dark (timed out), does it turn on when a notification (new email, new text, etc.) is received?
    Yes. But you can manage lock screen notifications for each of those so that it doesn't.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb

Global Posts
    6,340 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes. But you can manage lock screen notifications for each of those so that it doesn't.
    Yes but if do not disturb is on, the lock screen will not light up in addition to no notification sounds.

Global Posts
    3,791 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Yes but if do not disturb is on, the lock screen will not light up in addition to no notification sounds.
    Yes, that too.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6 Plus 128GB
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb