Unlimited Data and Tethering

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently on an unlimited data plan with AT&T. I usually wait for a jailbreak and use PDANet to tether but it doesn't seem like one is coming for the iPhone 5. I usually only use 2-2.5GB of data each month so I was wondering:

1. Should I hold off for a JB and keep my unlimited or

2. Drop unlimited and go to the 5GB tethering plan so I can have connection all the time when needed on my iPad mini

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
The real question is whether you think you'll use more than 5GB per month on your PC.
Then go on from there.

I don't think so. I'm not a heavy data consumer anymore. I check email, use safari, FB, stuff like that. I have Internet at work and in my house so I would only tether while in the car. Will come in handy for my cross country trip. I'll hold off for another month or so to hear about a JB.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
So I called AT&T. My wife uses on avg 1.5-2 GB and I use 2.5-3. So we are going with the: Mobile Share unlimited talk/text and 10GB with tethering for iPhone. I'll pay $8 more than I do now with my 15% discount.

Mike Baldwin

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Situation... I have
iPhone 4 running 6.0.1
Grandfathered unlimited data plan
A new iPad - wifi only
I am very interested in teathering my iPhone to my iPad so I can surf online from the pad anywhere I have 3G. But i definatelt want to avoid the additional $20 a month that ATT charges for it. here is my concern...
I'm a little nervous jail breaking my iPhone to make this happen and I'm not sure what apps are the best combination for my hardware and OS version. Any tips or reassurances?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I called AT&T. My wife uses on avg 1.5-2 GB and I use 2.5-3. So we are going with the: Mobile Share unlimited talk/text and 10GB with tethering for iPhone. I'll pay $8 more than I do now with my 15% discount.

I’m curious... how many lines on your plan? I have looked seriously at the family share deal and it would cost me a fair amount extra each month. The sticking point for me is the corporate discounts... I currently get discounts on each line... but with the shared plan, I’ve been told that I will only get a discount on the primary line - costing me about $8 per line (x the 4 additional lines - will cost me $40/month IF everything else is a wash. No thanks, AT&T.

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Based on this post, I did a little research and decided to switch to the new Mobile Share plan from the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Between the two of us, my wife and I use between 2.5-3GB of data a month. We were paying about $145 a month for 550 voice minutes and unlimited data, so we were unable to take advantage of FaceTime over cellular and mobile hotspot. I chose the 4GB Mobile Share plan, which should be plenty of data for us, and it came out to $137 a month after my discount as a city employee, and mobile hotspot is included. Not much in the way of savings, but every dollar counts in this economy (unless you're the government - ha), and we now have two extra features!

Always nice to check out what's available on occasion. Now I'm off to Verizon's website to see if I can cut some costs on my FiOS service! Thanks, OP! :)

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Based on this post, I did a little research and decided to switch to the new Mobile Share plan from the grandfathered unlimited data plan.

Between the two of us, my wife and I use between 2.5-3GB of data a month. We were paying about $145 a month for 550 voice minutes and unlimited data, so we were unable to take advantage of FaceTime over cellular and mobile hotspot. I chose the 4GB Mobile Share plan, which should be plenty of data for us, and it came out to $137 a month after my discount as a city employee, and mobile hotspot is included. Not much in the way of savings, but every dollar counts in this economy (unless you're the government - ha), and we now have two extra features!

Always nice to check out what's available on occasion. Now I'm off to Verizon's website to see if I can cut some costs on my FiOS service! Thanks, OP! :)

Glad it worked out! Cool on saving money!

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I think the package I got is much better, and it's cheaper. My wife and I have NEVER, in five years of owning iPhones, approached 4GB of usage in a month.

Add to that the fact that I was able to add FaceTime over cellular and Wifi Hotspot, it was a no-brainer. Unlimited data is great for peace of mind for heavy, HEAVY data users, but we are just not heavy users, and we're paying less and getting more.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't AT&T throttle the unlimited plans after 2 or 3 gb?

Thought I remembered reading that somewhere when they were getting away from unl data.

Sent from my game boy color

vn906c

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't AT&T throttle the unlimited plans after 2 or 3 gb?

Thought I remembered reading that somewhere when they were getting away from unl data.

If I remember correctly, LTE is throttled at 5 gigs and 3G at 3 gigs

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
So with that said, to the op why keep the unlimited plan? After they throttle you your phone is going to be pretty much useless. I would go with the 5GB plan and take the upgrade price on a phone once in awhile instead of paying full retail.

On a side note. Be careful. I have a bud that goes to fl once in awhile and uses his 5 to teather to his ipad. His bill usually more that month because he usually uses about 7 or so GB. Normally he uses 3 a month on his iphone alone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner