Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #26  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Default Re: I wanna know...safe to buy iphone 5 now?

Well I picked up a 16GB iphone 5 tonight. I thoroughly examined it in the store and left thinking it was perfect. Got it home and went to install a screen protector. I noticed there is a small gash in the screen. Couldn't see it in the AT&T store. I'm so upset as they're now going to charge me a restocking fee.

AT&T will not exchange it, they've made that abundantly clear. I could take it to the Apple tomorrow and see what they can do. It just bothers me getting a refurbished phone. I'm so upset. Maybe just call it quits? This is obviously a warning. Third defective iPhone 5.

Global Posts
    5,565 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default I wanna know...safe to buy iphone 5 now?

Don't know what to tell you. Got mine in launch day and its been perfect.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #28  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

I do, I'll take that one ignorant guy's comment and stick with my 4s as that works fine.

I'm done. It's absolutely pathetic I can't get a flawless iphone. I'm done, this is too aggravating and frustrating. Thanks guys for your support.

Of course even if I changed my mind Apple probably won't help. They'll think I did it. I'm just going to return it to att and not mention it
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Can you post a pic of the gash?

Out of curiosity, did you have trouble finding a 4S that was up to snuff?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    Don't know what to tell you. Got mine in launch day and its been perfect.
    Same here. Got my iPhone 5 on launch day and it was and still is absolutely perfect. I love My iPhone 5!

Sent from my LTE iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

There's no flawless iPhone!!! Good Lord it's just a phone that will be replaced by the next gen in a year. If you look for OCD defects you will find one where normal people won't even have the time in their life to look for. I'm sorry to be rude but this is just insane!
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #32  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Receiving an iPhone that sounds like a loose piece inside fell out doesn't make me OCD. Receiving an iPhone with a loose sleep wake button does. Receiving a phone with a small gash in the screen doesn't make me OCD either.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this is still happening two months later.

I have come to the confusion I don't need a new phone and the 4s is fine.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Receiving an iPhone that sounds like a loose piece inside fell out doesn't make me OCD. Receiving an iPhone with a loose sleep wake button does. Receiving a phone with a small gash in the screen doesn't make me OCD either.

It's absolutely ridiculous that this is still happening two months later.

I have come to the confusion I don't need a new phone and the 4s is fine.
    I'm not going to lie, my earlier days since getting the iPhone 4. I used to be OCD of small defects. After numerous exchanges, I've come to realize that there is no such thing as a flawless iPhone. Almost all of them has some kind of QC issues if you look for them. Unfortunately, this is just the result of iPhones being mass produced at such a fast rate. Does this make me steer away from getting the latest and greatest iPhone? No. Sure I have some small issues that would have bother me on my OCD days. Knowing the big risk of exchanging for a small issue, I would rather keep one that I can live with. My iPhone FYI, is scuffless but the power button is slightly loose but otherwise works as supposed to. I'm keeping this simply because the first two had a dead pixel and scratched camera lense that affected the photos. After 3 weeks, I have a hairline scratch on my iPhone but only visible under close inspection and under light. It does not bother me one bit because in reality these devices will be worn out with use over time And I don't even keep my iPhones more than a year. If you are giving up on the 5 for such small issues, then my friend you are missing out big time. You could be enjoying the 5 now but instead too caught up on these issues. I'm not here to judge you in anyway, if these things bother you then by all mean do what's best for you. I'm only trying to help because I've been in that road and much happier now that I can look past that and just enjoy the awesome iPhone. I hope you figure it out, best of luck.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    790 Global Posts

Double post.
    iMore Guru

Bummer. You seem to have THE worst luck. Although, you still decided to go to AT&T even though it was suggested to buy directly from apple. Maybe you don't have an apple store near you, I don't know, but this only reinforces my thoughts on buying from the carriers. I will not buy from them...ever!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Isn't the rattling the vibration gear? Any phone with vibration rattles a little bit... Look it up.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Evorc, that is just not true. Tons of people, me included, have gotten phones with no issues. The fact is that if you start with loose buttons or rattling, those things get WORSE with use, so why in the world would you want to start with one with these issues? As far as the scratch, that IS strictly cosmetic and will never affect how the phone works, so that is a personal choice. Some people can look past it, some cannot. This is NOT a cheap phone, and Apple sells how well made and beautiful teir phones are. So, they need to step up.

OP, if you aren't near enough to an Apple store, you are out of luck, as the carriers don't care enough to help, unfortunately.

Global Posts
    3,340 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Well I picked up a 16GB iphone 5 tonight. I thoroughly examined it in the store and left thinking it was perfect. Got it home and went to install a screen protector. I noticed there is a small gash in the screen. Couldn't see it in the AT&T store. I'm so upset as they're now going to charge me a restocking fee.

AT&T will not exchange it, they've made that abundantly clear. I could take it to the Apple tomorrow and see what they can do. It just bothers me getting a refurbished phone. I'm so upset. Maybe just call it quits? This is obviously a warning. Third defective iPhone 5.
    You didn't really thoroughly examine it enough then.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I do, I'll take that one ignorant guy's comment and stick with my 4s as that works fine.

I'm done. It's absolutely pathetic I can't get a flawless iphone. I'm done, this is too aggravating and frustrating. Thanks guys for your support.

Of course even if I changed my mind Apple probably won't help. They'll think I did it. I'm just going to return it to att and not mention it
    Phew...i was afraid we'd have to continue reading more about this.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You didn't really thoroughly examine it enough then.
    Or it wasn't there right out of the box. This guy gets several "defective phones" you bet he examined it enough. My first defective 5 It was flawless just blown earpiece I discovered later. Second one I checked EVERYTHING.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evorc View Post
    There's no flawless iPhone!!! Good Lord it's just a phone that will be replaced by the next gen in a year. If you look for OCD defects you will find one where normal people won't even have the time in their life to look for. I'm sorry to be rude but this is just insane!
    Plenty of people posting in this very thread about how perfect their iPhones are.
    Follow me on the Twitter - @_jorts
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #42  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

UPDATE: So I drove to the Apple store and bought a 32GB and examined it in the store and its fine. Absolutely none of the OCD annoyances that have plagued every other iPhone 5. I am really glad I didn't give up because now I can finally start to enjoy my iPhone 5 instead of fuss over problems.

It only took 3 phones to get it right.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,118 Global Posts

I'm glad you finally got a good iPhone. Good thing you didn't listen to the people telling you to just live with it or stay on your 4s. Why people thought your're being OCD over the rattling is beyond me. Last thing I want is a $300+ device to have its components rattling, especially when there are plenty of iPhones that don't have this issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Verizon | iPhone 5s | 32gb | iOS 7.1.1
    13" Retina MacBook Pro | 2.4ghz | 8gb | 256gb
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Why is this even a question? It's simple to solve if the question still stands...You purchase a defective device, identify it as a defective device, go to an Apple store and get a new phone (replacement). Problem is solved, and no one has to die.

/1st World Problems I tell you.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

UPDATE: So I drove to the Apple store and bought a 32GB and examined it in the store and its fine. Absolutely none of the OCD annoyances that have plagued every other iPhone 5. I am really glad I didn't give up because now I can finally start to enjoy my iPhone 5 instead of fuss over problems.

It only took 3 phones to get it right.
    Awesome news! Glad you got a good one—since the original question has obviously been answered, I'm going to close this thread. Enjoy the phone!
    Thanked by:
    MattMJB0188 (11-25-2012)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12