Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IAmAuthority
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Facetime over cellular for all data plans...

Called 611 to enable Facetime over cellular. I have a 5 and the 3GB plan. At first the customer service person said it required a mobile share plan. I then told her that a recent press release said ATT was allowing it on any tiered data plan. After a few minutes on hold, she came back to say that there was indeed a press release but the changes won't be going into affect for 8-10 weeks, and to call back around January.

Not really a gripe, just an FYI for anyone else wondering about the new Facetime changes we've been reading about.

Global Posts
    3,659 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

Default Re: Facetime over cellular for all data plans...

I am guessing they will be rolling it out slowly. Some users are already able to use FT over cellular, so it might not be a full 6-8 weeks.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

I'm sure it will take some time for them to implement the new changes. However a friend who works for AT&T locally quoted a month to month and a half. Hopefully it's on the shorter end of the scale.
    soogriff likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    iOS Version

typical AT&T nonsense. they seem to be the most resistant to data use freedom of all the wireless companies.
    Current Apple Devices : MacBook Pro 13" (i7-2012) | iPhone 5S White 32gb (VZ) | iPad Air 128gb White (VZ) | iPad mini 64gb White WiFi | iPod Classic 160gb | Apple TV | Mac mini (2011)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I don't think those of us that still have unlimited data plans will get FaceTime of cellular. It was enabled for a day and turned off the next day. If anyone knows otherwise please advise for unlimited data users. Thanks.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Knightkam View Post
    I don't think those of us that still have unlimited data plans will get FaceTime of cellular. It was enabled for a day and turned off the next day. If anyone knows otherwise please advise for unlimited data users. Thanks.
    The press release from att said unlimted users also so I'm sure it's a matter of time they prob are turning on in phases and seeing usage and how it effects the network
    iPhone Newbie

So how do you know if FaceTime over cellular has even turned on with our iPhone or not? Every time I look, it says I don't have it. Will it automatically turn on when its been enabled?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Cookie View Post
    So how do you know if FaceTime over cellular has even turned on with our iPhone or not? Every time I look, it says I don't have it. Will it automatically turn on when its been enabled?
    If not the options will be there some people say rebooting there phone off and on caused it to show up
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Was working with a reboot a couple of days ago, but not anymore on my iphone 5 with unlimited data—seems like AT&T closed it up again.

Peligro, do you have a link to that press release? My memory is that AT&T always said unlimited users would NOT get FT over cellular.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    If not the options will be there some people say rebooting there phone off and on caused it to show up
    I tried that, but when I go to it, it's still turned off. When I try to turn it on, I get the same warning.... And by the way, I'm one of those grandfathered unlimited plans. I've had an iPhone ever since they came out.

I'd be willing to bet guys like me will be the last to be switched on.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,743 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Was working with a reboot a couple of days ago, but not anymore on my iphone 5 with unlimited data—seems like AT&T closed it up again.

Peligro, do you have a link to that press release? My memory is that AT&T always said unlimited users would NOT get FT over cellular.
    It was a link from cult of Mac I think I have them and other on my feed but it was to far back to find it
    You could be right thou I have Verizon so I just skim thru the stuff that don't relate to me
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Guess we just have to wait and see at this point since its off for now.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Not sure which blog originated it, but about a week ago a report was making the rounds of all the blogs that some people with unlimited plans were seeing FaceTime over cellular be available.

AT&T has never said that unlimited plans will get it. AT&T just said they were rolling it out to anyone on a tiered plan over the next 6 to 8 weeks.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Here's goes a press release regarding AT&T allowing FaceTime over cellular network.

After speaking with a friend of mine that works for AT&T; he's stated that there's been rumors around work that it's in the near stages of coming out and there's been a 2-month timeline thrown out, but no one knows for sure. His manager has even been given conflicting information.

I also don't see why Unlimited Data users wouldn't be able to use FaceTime over cellular. Hopefully it'll get turned on soon!

It appears that some people with Unlimited data ARE able to enable FaceTime though cellular. Others with Unlimited data plans are not able to. It's a toss up
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

When I try to activate it, it takes me to the website to change my plan.

Yep, certainly not happening that I am going to get rid of my unlimited data
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

Seems to me that AT&T is trying to get people to ditched their unlimited data plans. What another crooked way they are trying to succeed

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    Seems to me that AT&T is trying to get people to ditched their unlimited data plans. What another crooked way they are trying to succeed
    Exactly what they are trying to do. :-(

There is no technical reason they cannot do it, they are just being obstinate.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

At least they aren't forcing you to lose your unlimited data plan. Verizon customers aren't even able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 until they lose their unlimited data and go to a shared plan. At least AT&T lets you keep your unlimited data if you really, really want to.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    At least they aren't forcing you to lose your unlimited data plan. Verizon customers aren't even able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 until they lose their unlimited data and go to a shared plan. At least AT&T lets you keep your unlimited data if you really, really want to.
    I'm on VZ with an iPhone 5 and I kept my unlimited data by paying retail for my device.
    Current Apple Devices : MacBook Pro 13" (i7-2012) | iPhone 5S White 32gb (VZ) | iPad Air 128gb White (VZ) | iPad mini 64gb White WiFi | iPod Classic 160gb | Apple TV | Mac mini (2011)

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by j_benj View Post
    I'm on VZ with an iPhone 5 and I kept my unlimited data by paying retail for my device.
    AT&T will still sell you an iPhone 5 at the subsidized price and you can keep your unlimited. But then they do annoying things like not allowing tethering, no FaceTime over cellular, and throttling after 3GB in 3G and 5GB on LTE.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by IAmAuthority View Post
    Here's goes a press release regarding AT&T allowing FaceTime over cellular network.

After speaking with a friend of mine that works for AT&T; he's stated that there's been rumors around work that it's in the near stages of coming out and there's been a 2-month timeline thrown out, but no one knows for sure. His manager has even been given conflicting information.

I also don't see why Unlimited Data users wouldn't be able to use FaceTime over cellular. Hopefully it'll get turned on soon!

It appears that some people with Unlimited data ARE able to enable FaceTime though cellular. Others with Unlimited data plans are not able to. It's a toss up
    I wonder if it is based on where you're located? We are not on LTE yet, but it is supposed to be here next year. FaceTime on 4G would probably be slow and jerky.

Global Posts
    5,068 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Cookie View Post
    I wonder if it is based on where you're located? We are not on LTE yet, but it is supposed to be here next year. FaceTime on 4G would probably be slow and jerky.
    I get 4 to 5 bars of LTE, I have unlimited plan and I don't have FaceTime over cellular.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

It's just another way for them to make money. By forcing people out of Unlimited Data plans they hope to save big bucks.
    I hope no one falls for their crappy tactics

Global Posts
    3,387 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Works well over LTE, not so well on 4G ... Just came back from Las Vegas where they have LTE, I am so jealous! ... Was like having wifi everywhere, I guess I never realized how great LTE can be. However, I am glad to see at&t making the change to allow everyone to use facetime over cellular.