Former Android Users input needed

sam00

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I have both iPhone 5 and SGSIII and I keep coming back to the iPhone as my primary phone. Everything just works and works so well. It is so much more polished than Android, everything sits in its place and displays beautifully. Also the notification system is so much better for example if your phone is locked your notifications are still displayed on your screen so you can see any new alerts without unlocking the screen. Using the phone with one hand is also a advantage but I must admit the size of screen and display on the SGSIII is very attractive. iPhone is the phone for me.

Mag

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm to considering the iPhone 5 but what holds me back is this, on my android phone I can swap files and folders around anytime I need to. Take a picture and move it to any particular folder I want. I can change widgets on any screen I can add or delete them as I wish. Change home screens around anyway I like them. Google maps is awesome has street views 3d views and its quick and accurate.
So with all that has apple opened up enough to allow these parts of the android echo system I do enjoy and will miss if I do make the switch?

Sent from my HTC Resound using Tapatalk 2

I use both iOS and Android and have to say that I actually dislike having to deal with file explorers, maps, files, sorting everything, etc. I use QuickOffice and Dropbox and it works a lot better and easier for me :)

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Came from the Samsung Galaxy S II. I love the iPhone 5 a lot more than my Galaxy S II. It wasn't a bad phone, but the iPhone is just better.

The processor is insane. Switching between apps is so fluid and smooth. I didn't even use any widgets from the Android OS. It's nice to know the weather, but the iPhone has that in it's pull down menu's. The widgets to me would just drain more battery than needed. The iPhone music player is actually really good, compared to the Android's which drained my battery very quick. I don't miss the screen size difference at all. Both had LTE. Holding my iPhone, it feels like a premium device. However, my Galaxy S II felt like a toy. I must say the App Store/Play Store is very similar, so I wouldn't really miss it if I switched back to Android. The Play Store was hard, though. It wouldn't accept my Debit Visa, giftcard Visa's and I couldn't find a giftcard for the Play Store in stores close to me. I had to use my credit card. Much easier to access that.

I also didn't like the Android's updating process. At least I know for the next couple years I'll be able to download the latest OS the day it comes out. With Android, I'd have to wait 5 months, and by that time a new OS would be out.

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I can't bash anyone. To this day, I still love Android and BlackBerry. But my love is stronger for The iPhone. And also stronger for Windows Computers lol

I can relate. I love Blackberry. Eventhough it is far less "fun" to use than my iPhone 5, I still miss it. It was my first smartphone. Call me sentimental. ;)

I just love watching movies on my 5. And iTunes is so convenient.

lauriep05

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the original Droid from launch date (loved it) and then a Thunderbolt(there has never been such a piece of crap), so I had been counting the days til my upgrade for over a year. I already had an iPod Touch and iPad, so knew what I was doing. Got my 5 a week ago, and it is everything it was said to be, and what I had hoped.

Although it was nice to have so many options on Android, and widgets, honestly, after the first few months, I didn't do any customizing. The only widget I used, and do miss, was Beautiful Weather. I also hated the way they sporadically update, and then you never know if YOUR phone will get it, and the fact there is a new "latest and greatest" about every two weeks. Who can keep up with that?

With Apple, you know there is only one phone released every year (approximately), so even skipping a year keeps your phone very current. The build quality and beauty are beyond anything Android has.

I still have a Kindle Fire, so will stay in touch with Android. But I doubt I will ever use their phones again.

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I went on black Friday to purchase an iPhone 5 but after talking with a rep at the apple store I walked away with nothing.
I was quiet disappointed that the IPhone can not do data and voice at the same time on Verizon's network the apple rep said it was Verizon who don't allow it on the IPhone, so I went to Verizon spoke to a rep there and he said that it's apple who don't have the capability on cdma networks so I'm confused. Do any of you here know the real truth on why the IPhone is not capable of voice and data (web browsing) at the same time? That's a really must have feature now for me as I have a business I have look up prices for my customers while on the phone speaking with them?

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
1. No phone on CDMA 3G can do voice and data at the same time.

2. Any phone on GSM for 3G can do voice and data at the same time although only at 3G speeds not LTE.

3. No carriers in the US can do both voice and data over LTE at the same time (so called VoLTE) so regardless of whether you're on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint, when you're on LTE and you get a phone call, your data service drops to 3G. So on Verizon and Sprint that means you drop to CDMA which does not support voice and data. (See #1). On AT&T you drop to regular GSM so you do get voice and data. (See #2).

4. Some OEMs using Android (but this has nothing to do with the OS) on Verizon, chose to either include an extra baseband/cellular chip and/or provide an extra antennae that allows it to use this extra chip/antennae for voice when you are using the main chip for LTE data. My guess is that Apple didn't include the extra antennae/chip due to space or battery concerns.

Anyway both Verizon and Apple are correct that iPhone 5's not having simultaneous voice and data on the Verizon network is the others' fault. From Verizon's perspective it is Apple's fault that they did not include the work around that some other OEM's did. From Apple's perspective it is Verizon's fault that their network doesn't support it. In a year or so, carriers should start implementing VoLTE in which case they would all support voice and data at the same time as long as you were on LTE. 3G CDMA would still have that restriction.

Also next time please search the forums before asking. I've answered this same question before.

Thank you for your reply and I apologize for not using a search function as I honestly didn't know one was available using tapatalk. I would assume apple didn't add an extra chip or antenna in the iPhone 5 for Verizon's network. Maybe in the future they will?
I can remember many yrs back that was one of at&t big selling points was the ability to talk on the phone and surf the internet at the same time. I'm also thinking the advertisements were with using the iPhone 3 I could be Wong on the phone use though.

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T iPhone has always been able to do both because GSM supports it. The Verizon iPhone 4 and 4S (and Sprint) on CDMA have never been able to so both.

No carrier can do both on LTE (AT&T drops to GSM to do both on an LTE phone). Verizon drops to CDMA which does not do both. The solution isn't for Apple to put the extra chip and/or antenna in but for all the carriers to implement VoLTE (voice over LTE).

I'm sorry but you're wrong on my rezound while I'm in an LTE network on Verizon I can talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. Now on 3G it won't but yes it can on 4G LTE that's why I question the apple rep if I could do it with the new iPhone since it is now LTE capable.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but you're wrong on my rezound while I'm in an LTE network on Verizon I can talk on the phone and browse the internet at the same time. Now on 3G it won't but yes it can on 4G LTE that's why I question the apple rep if I could do it with the new iPhone since it is now LTE capable.

From what I remember the Rezound and some other phones on Verizon have 2 chips; 1 for LTE and another for CMDA, which allows them to do Data and Voice simultaneously. The iPhone only has 1 chip which is why it can only do Data and Voice on WiFi.

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
From what I remember the Rezound and some other phones on Verizon have 2 chips; 1 for LTE and another for CMDA, which allows them to do Data and Voice simultaneously. The iPhone only has 1 chip which is why it can only do Data and Voice on WiFi.

Thank you and you are correct as my rezound will allow me to do both. I'm not sure what its called and don't care I just know I can talk on the phone and access the internet at the same time. I'm willing to provide my number and someone tell me a website to go to while we are on the phone and I'll read to you word for word to prove this.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I've not read all the responses. But I was certain that Verizon didn't support voice and data OVER LTE. I was under the impression that if you're in an LTE area and thus on a call and started to use data it would automatically switch to 3G...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I've not read all the responses. But I was certain that Verizon didn't support voice and data OVER LTE. I was under the impression that if you're in an LTE area and thus on a call and started to use data it would automatically switch to 3G...

LTE on Verizon does on android but not on iphone 5 .. Not even on 3G

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

No while on a call (I've owned 3 LTE android phones on VZW) the data speeds are LTE the voice part is carried over 1xRTT so both parties are correct until VoLTE is implemented there will be a need for two different chips.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77