iphone 5 call quality with earphones

mmaheshwary

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, and hopefully someone can help me out here. I use the earphones with mic for most of my calls. I recently upgraded from my 3GS to the 5, and I have noticed a significant loss of incoming audio quality when using the earphones for calls. Just using the handset seems fine. Is anyone else also facing this issue?

Thanks!

p.s. I have tried different earphones, the Apple ones, and my regular Sony ones that I used to use with my 3GS. All have the same problem.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
You know, I've been having this issue too. I haven't tried different headphones yet, just the earpods that came with the phone. Listening to regular audio is fine but when I take a call I can barely hear and make out anything! Weird.

mmaheshwary

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You know, I've been having this issue too. I haven't tried different headphones yet, just the earpods that came with the phone. Listening to regular audio is fine but when I take a call I can barely hear and make out anything! Weird.

Oh wow, that sounds much worse than my problem. The volume is fine for me, but the quality is bad. The voice sounds a lot more garbled and metallic than it used to with the 3GS.

iTax

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't use earphones, but bluetooth. I also have iPhone 5, and I know depending on which bluetooth I use, the audio & call quality can be different.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I use my hands free headset about 85% of the time i use my iPhone for a phone call...i find the headset gives better audio quality than the handset itself...much less feedback.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Rocket_Girl

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with poor call quality through Apple EarPods. Also have some problem with handset alone, on both normal and speaker mode. I haven't pursued this very aggressively. Tried Genius Bar early on, they called it a carrier problem. I called carrier (VZW) within first few days, and they created a priority ticket, but in my numerous attempts to follow up, nobody called me back. I figure this is a widespread problem that will eventually resolve w/ update at some point- I am OK waiting it out. If it turns out to be a device issue after all, AppleCare+ will take care of that.