After 2 months your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It's been almost 2 months since the 5 came out! I'm still loving every minute of it! The display, the speed, form factor, the battery (compared to 4s), and smoothness. This is really is the best iphone yet!What an awesome device! Good job Apple! For some reason I don't have as much urge for the jailbreak as I did with the 4s. Sure I will love to have jailbreak now, but all is good without it. Prior to buying the 5 I was bummed its taller and not both taller and wider. This screen dimension is perfect for me! After 2 months, I still can't put this thing down! Even just looking at the device, you can't help but get awed by the beautiful design. My thoughts for today after some beers lol.

cckgz4

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm grateful for the bigger screen. And glad to be back on a device that I know that no matter what app or feature I might need, more than likely it'll provide

Sent from something uhmayzing using my pinkie

anon(3733516)

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
To be completely honest, I'm getting kinda bored of iOS. I'm really hoping that they'll add some exciting new features in iOS 7, whenever that comes out.

To be honest again, I did order a Galaxy S3 today, but I'm not using either one exclusively. It'll be nice to have the option. I also just started a job at Best Buy Mobile so it will help to get more familiarized with Android.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'd say this one was the one that filled in the missing checkboxes such as LTE. Little reason to want a new one next time out. With the carriers not willing to offer early upgrades, I'm not that interested in upgrading next year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone...it is the best iPhone i have ever had. Our department is trying to move to getting the officers Note 2's for work purposes (since it has a lot of transcription features that the iPhone doesn't have) but I am fighting that tooth and nail (we would be getting iPhone 5's in January for work phones and trading our 4S's in if the Note 2 doesn't stick). This phone works exactly how i want it, has ALL of the features i personally want in a smart phone and it's form is 2nd to none in my opinion. I love this damn thing!

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone...it is the best iPhone i have ever had. Our department is trying to move to getting the officers Note 2's for work purposes (since it has a lot of transcription features that the iPhone doesn't have) but I am fighting that tooth and nail (we would be getting iPhone 5's in January for work phones and trading our 4S's in if the Note 2 doesn't stick). This phone works exactly how i want it, has ALL of the features i personally want in a smart phone and it's form is 2nd to none in my opinion. I love this damn thing!

It's funny you said that, at work almost everyone converted once I started working there as a tech support.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'd say this one was the one that filled in the missing checkboxes such as LTE. Little reason to want a new one next time out. With the carriers not willing to offer early upgrades, I'm not that interested in upgrading next year.

I have upgraded every generation so far. I might just keep this for two years. The 4s was great, but I was quickly bored with the new features in comparison to the 4.

Spat

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I like the bigger screen and features I did not have on my 4. I hate, hate, hate that I can not get over 4 hours on full charge. Exchanged at Apple and still can't.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I like the bigger screen and features I did not have on my 4. I hate, hate, hate that I can not get over 4 hours on full charge. Exchanged at Apple and still can't.

That's not normal I would exchange. I get at lease 5-6hrs heavy usage and halfway screen brightness.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Great phone but needs an iOS revamp. Hopefully iOS team pulls together some great features and blows away with iOS 7.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess it'd be ok to share my thoughts on the 5. I went through a brief breakup during the 4S where I spent time with the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, and Galaxy S3. I have had the iphone 5 since the day of release. Of course these pros and cons relate to me only, not meant to signify anyone else's experience.

Hardware (Pros)

- I think the screen brightness and accuracy of whites is 2nd to none. This was one of the main reasons I could not stay with the S3. I found it too dim and the whites to be almost grey.
- The accuracy of colors on the screen, as well as sharpness, are also 2nd to none (reviews have it better than the HTC DNA screen). Again, another reason I left the S3. The sharpness was not comparable despite the 306ppi and the colors were almost cartoonish. Very flourescent. The Note II corrected on this going RGB vs Pentile and offering the 4 screen mode presets, but still no comparison to the iphone 5.
- The camera is the best of the phone cameras I tried in terms of picture quality. The S3 has more features, but at the end of the day it is the quality of the photo that matters to me. Video and still photo both excel on the iphone 5.
- The speaker on the iphone 5 is the loudest of the phones I used.
- Pocketability. Pretty self expalatory.

Hardware (Cons)

- For me, the size of the S3 screen is perfect. I am 6'7 so the additional size didn't compromise anything for me. I find the 5 to be a bit narrow and small. I spend more time on my phone then most I know, and I don't mess with tablets, so a larger screen would have been welcomed by me. But, this won't be the case for many generations to come.
- This is the shocker, and one I would never have expected. I found the android phones I used to get better data signal overall. I was able to hold on to 3G in areas the 5 (and 4S) would drop to 1x.

Software/OS (Pros)

- I find the selection of apps to be better on the iphone and IOS. The numbers really don't mean anything when any kid can throw together a junk app and get it approved. I find more quality, useable apps to either hit IOS first, or become exclusive to IOS.
- Simplicity can be valued. IOS is certainly simple, fast, efficient and designed to be a marriage with the iphone. I can value that.
- I experience zero lag, period. I cannot say the same with the android devices I have used though I have heard JB makes a big improvement on this.
- Backing up is simple. Not quite as simple on an unrooted android phone when you are talking about apps, texts, photos, settings, etc.

Software/OS (Cons) - This is where I start to lean android....

- I hate, HATE that I cannot move pics (actually move, not simply copy) between albums, or move pics from my camera roll to existing albums or new albums. Frustrates the hell out of me to be honest. I do a lot with pictures, downloads, screenshots, etc and in order to get any organization what-so-ever I have to connect to the computer and do it there. In my opinion Android's gallery features blow iphone's away.
- Customization would be nice. Sure a live wallpaper of pine trees and snow seems silly to some, but I liked having the option if I wanted it. I liked being able to put an app icon where I desired, a widget if I wanted to use one, switch a keyboard if I prefer a different one, have pop-up text reply straight out of the box, etc.
- I like that everything from facebook to SMS, etc is built in through everything on android. If I want to upload a video to facebook from the gallery, boom...done. If I want to text a link to a buddy from a website...done. With IOS I have to constantly seek workarounds.
- Sure, many on here will light you up if you mention flash cause "flash is dead". Listen, as long as websites I occasionally visit still require flash, then flash is not dead yet. It happens, and it is annoying.

Thats enough. I already wrote an essay that many probably skipped over or quit reading before finishing :) I love my iphone 5, but to be honest, I wanted the S3 to work. I craved the larger screen and welcomed many of the things android allows me to do that IOS simply does not. But, until they can put out a phone with a quality screen (amoled, to me, sucks and is too dim) I cannot make the switch. HTC was close with the DNA until they mindlessly decided 11GB or useable onstore memory is enough for the average user. I'm not the average user.

Thanks for letting me share!!

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I guess it'd be ok to share my thoughts on the 5. I went through a brief breakup during the 4S where I spent time with the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, and Galaxy S3. I have had the iphone 5 since the day of release. Of course these pros and cons relate to me only, not meant to signify anyone else's experience.

Hardware (Pros)

- I think the screen brightness and accuracy of whites is 2nd to none. This was one of the main reasons I could not stay with the S3. I found it too dim and the whites to be almost grey.
- The accuracy of colors on the screen, as well as sharpness, are also 2nd to none (reviews have it better than the HTC DNA screen). Again, another reason I left the S3. The sharpness was not comparable despite the 306ppi and the colors were almost cartoonish. Very flourescent. The Note II corrected on this going RGB vs Pentile and offering the 4 screen mode presets, but still no comparison to the iphone 5.
- The camera is the best of the phone cameras I tried in terms of picture quality. The S3 has more features, but at the end of the day it is the quality of the photo that matters to me. Video and still photo both excel on the iphone 5.
- The speaker on the iphone 5 is the loudest of the phones I used.
- Pocketability. Pretty self expalatory.

Hardware (Cons)

- For me, the size of the S3 screen is perfect. I am 6'7 so the additional size didn't compromise anything for me. I find the 5 to be a bit narrow and small. I spend more time on my phone then most I know, and I don't mess with tablets, so a larger screen would have been welcomed by me. But, this won't be the case for many generations to come.
- This is the shocker, and one I would never have expected. I found the android phones I used to get better data signal overall. I was able to hold on to 3G in areas the 5 (and 4S) would drop to 1x.

Software/OS (Pros)

- I find the selection of apps to be better on the iphone and IOS. The numbers really don't mean anything when any kid can throw together a junk app and get it approved. I find more quality, useable apps to either hit IOS first, or become exclusive to IOS.
- Simplicity can be valued. IOS is certainly simple, fast, efficient and designed to be a marriage with the iphone. I can value that.
- I experience zero lag, period. I cannot say the same with the android devices I have used though I have heard JB makes a big improvement on this.
- Backing up is simple. Not quite as simple on an unrooted android phone when you are talking about apps, texts, photos, settings, etc.

Software/OS (Cons) - This is where I start to lean android....

- I hate, HATE that I cannot move pics (actually move, not simply copy) between albums, or move pics from my camera roll to existing albums or new albums. Frustrates the hell out of me to be honest. I do a lot with pictures, downloads, screenshots, etc and in order to get any organization what-so-ever I have to connect to the computer and do it there. In my opinion Android's gallery features blow iphone's away.
- Customization would be nice. Sure a live wallpaper of pine trees and snow seems silly to some, but I liked having the option if I wanted it. I liked being able to put an app icon where I desired, a widget if I wanted to use one, switch a keyboard if I prefer a different one, have pop-up text reply straight out of the box, etc.
- I like that everything from facebook to SMS, etc is built in through everything on android. If I want to upload a video to facebook from the gallery, boom...done. If I want to text a link to a buddy from a website...done. With IOS I have to constantly seek workarounds.
- Sure, many on here will light you up if you mention flash cause "flash is dead". Listen, as long as websites I occasionally visit still require flash, then flash is not dead yet. It happens, and it is annoying.

Thats enough. I already wrote an essay that many probably skipped over or quit reading before finishing :) I love my iphone 5, but to be honest, I wanted the S3 to work. I craved the larger screen and welcomed many of the things android allows me to do that IOS simply does not. But, until they can put out a phone with a quality screen (amoled, to me, sucks and is too dim) I cannot make the switch. HTC was close with the DNA until they mindlessly decided 11GB or useable onstore memory is enough for the average user. I'm not the average user.

Thanks for letting me share!!

Awesome review.

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this. Probably my only qualm about iOS...

Retconaddict

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I notice some 5s volume are weak. The one I got now (replacement) is loud and clear.

Ah really?? Excellent, I'll see if I can exchange it! (Hopefully I can, I'm in the UK and bought it as an upgrade from Orange, but worth a shot...) thanks for the info!

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
To be completely honest, I'm getting kinda bored of iOS. I'm really hoping that they'll add some exciting new features in iOS 7, whenever that comes out.

To be honest again, I did order a Galaxy S3 today, but I'm not using either one exclusively. It'll be nice to have the option. I also just started a job at Best Buy Mobile so it will help to get more familiarized with Android.

I got bored like you. Last week sold my iPhone 5 32gb on ebay. Bought a new galaxy S3 and still had money left over. Not hating on iPhone or iOS. The galaxy S3 is awesome. With JB os its smooth. Did I mention I'm amazed with the great battery life? And no I don't have to turn a bunch of stuff off. For now I'm staying with the galaxy. I'll look at apple again with next iPhone/iOS 7. BTW I kept my iPad 3. Any ways enjoy your galaxy and let me know how you like it. I'm glad with the bigger screen and the fact that on sprint I can talk and data at the same time while on 3G and LTE with this phone.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711