After 2 months your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ah really?? Excellent, I'll see if I can exchange it! (Hopefully I can, I'm in the UK and bought it as an upgrade from Orange, but worth a shot...) thanks for the info!

They can check it for you in the back and compare it to other iPhone 5s there.

Nilesh Somani

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I guess it'd be ok to share my thoughts on the 5. I went through a brief breakup during the 4S where I spent time with the Galaxy Nexus, HTC Rezound, and Galaxy S3. I have had the iphone 5 since the day of release. Of course these pros and cons relate to me only, not meant to signify anyone else's experience.

Hardware (Pros)

- I think the screen brightness and accuracy of whites is 2nd to none. This was one of the main reasons I could not stay with the S3. I found it too dim and the whites to be almost grey.
- The accuracy of colors on the screen, as well as sharpness, are also 2nd to none (reviews have it better than the HTC DNA screen). Again, another reason I left the S3. The sharpness was not comparable despite the 306ppi and the colors were almost cartoonish. Very flourescent. The Note II corrected on this going RGB vs Pentile and offering the 4 screen mode presets, but still no comparison to the iphone 5.
- The camera is the best of the phone cameras I tried in terms of picture quality. The S3 has more features, but at the end of the day it is the quality of the photo that matters to me. Video and still photo both excel on the iphone 5.
- The speaker on the iphone 5 is the loudest of the phones I used.
- Pocketability. Pretty self expalatory.

Hardware (Cons)

- For me, the size of the S3 screen is perfect. I am 6'7 so the additional size didn't compromise anything for me. I find the 5 to be a bit narrow and small. I spend more time on my phone then most I know, and I don't mess with tablets, so a larger screen would have been welcomed by me. But, this won't be the case for many generations to come.
- This is the shocker, and one I would never have expected. I found the android phones I used to get better data signal overall. I was able to hold on to 3G in areas the 5 (and 4S) would drop to 1x.

Software/OS (Pros)

- I find the selection of apps to be better on the iphone and IOS. The numbers really don't mean anything when any kid can throw together a junk app and get it approved. I find more quality, useable apps to either hit IOS first, or become exclusive to IOS.
- Simplicity can be valued. IOS is certainly simple, fast, efficient and designed to be a marriage with the iphone. I can value that.
- I experience zero lag, period. I cannot say the same with the android devices I have used though I have heard JB makes a big improvement on this.
- Backing up is simple. Not quite as simple on an unrooted android phone when you are talking about apps, texts, photos, settings, etc.

Software/OS (Cons) - This is where I start to lean android....

- I hate, HATE that I cannot move pics (actually move, not simply copy) between albums, or move pics from my camera roll to existing albums or new albums. Frustrates the hell out of me to be honest. I do a lot with pictures, downloads, screenshots, etc and in order to get any organization what-so-ever I have to connect to the computer and do it there. In my opinion Android's gallery features blow iphone's away.
- Customization would be nice. Sure a live wallpaper of pine trees and snow seems silly to some, but I liked having the option if I wanted it. I liked being able to put an app icon where I desired, a widget if I wanted to use one, switch a keyboard if I prefer a different one, have pop-up text reply straight out of the box, etc.
- I like that everything from facebook to SMS, etc is built in through everything on android. If I want to upload a video to facebook from the gallery, boom...done. If I want to text a link to a buddy from a website...done. With IOS I have to constantly seek workarounds.
- Sure, many on here will light you up if you mention flash cause "flash is dead". Listen, as long as websites I occasionally visit still require flash, then flash is not dead yet. It happens, and it is annoying.

Thats enough. I already wrote an essay that many probably skipped over or quit reading before finishing :) I love my iphone 5, but to be honest, I wanted the S3 to work. I craved the larger screen and welcomed many of the things android allows me to do that IOS simply does not. But, until they can put out a phone with a quality screen (amoled, to me, sucks and is too dim) I cannot make the switch. HTC was close with the DNA until they mindlessly decided 11GB or useable onstore memory is enough for the average user. I'm not the average user.

Thanks for letting me share!!

Nice review. I totally agree with the software cons.. Need to have live wallpapers and customization.

circlez

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
After two months I have definitely had time to collect my thoughts about the device.

To start, I will state that I have owned every iPhone since the launch--and this is my favorite one yet! It is a really close call in terms of the iPhone 4S and the 5 which one I like better (I like the small screen), but the 5 takes the crown.

The speed of the iPhone 5 is incredible, there simply is not another device that I have owned that is faster. It absolutely screams, even after two months the speed blows me away. Nothing I throw at it can make it choke or lag, where as I could get my 4S to stutter some.

One thing that varies day to day is my battery life. I'm not sure what is going on with it, but my iPhone 5 varies between having better and worse battery than my 4S did, but most of the time worse. (Though only marginally).

As a whole, I absolutely love my iPhone 5. I would recommend it to anyone who asked, period. Regardless of their cell phone background.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for just shy of three weeks (got it on the 1st of November). Coming from the 4, overall I am quite pleased. The speed is amazing, the display is great...I guess I miss things more on the hardware side. I still feel like the 5 is too light and thin and I liked the "heft" that the 4/4S had (and I liked that design better).

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I am happy to see this post as I was going to ask a similar question. I have been an apple fan boy for ever and got my 5 at launch like most of you. 2 months later, I am going to sell it on ebay next week and pick up the galaxy note 2 on VZW. I am just bored. Maybe it was the hype or the fact that literally EVERYONE has one (dont understand the gs3 numbers outselling apple). I was in verizon today to play with the DNA and with all the people waiting and people purchasing, it was all iphones. It's mind blowing. I would not think anyone owns an android phone.

I plan on buying the note with my proceeds from the 5 and I am reserving the right to come back to apple down the road. Figured it was time for a change and enjoy the customization of jelly bean and enjoy the s pen.

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am happy to see this post as I was going to ask a similar question. I have been an apple fan boy for ever and got my 5 at launch like most of you. 2 months later, I am going to sell it on ebay next week and pick up the galaxy note 2 on VZW. I am just bored. Maybe it was the hype or the fact that literally EVERYONE has one (dont understand the gs3 numbers outselling apple). I was in verizon today to play with the DNA and with all the people waiting and people purchasing, it was all iphones. It's mind blowing. I would not think anyone owns an android phone.

I plan on buying the note with my proceeds from the 5 and I am reserving the right to come back to apple down the road. Figured it was time for a change and enjoy the customization of jelly bean and enjoy the s pen.

I sold my iPhone 5 that I had bought on launch day. I'm not a fan boy for any phone manufacture. I bought a new GS3 and still have money left over. I totally like this phone. I wasn't a fan of android but android JB on the GS3 is good. For now I'm content with what I'm able to do with this phone that I wasn't able with the iPhone 5. I don't hate iPhone and plan to take a look at next iPhone. Besides I change phones every 10-12 months. By then ill have a GS4 or iPhone 6 lol. I'm not loyal to any company. I go for what at the moment has more to offer me. I'm even curious what BB10 has to offer in 2013.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I sold my iPhone 5 that I had bought on launch day. I'm not a fan boy for any phone manufacture. I bought a new GS3 and still have money left over. I totally like this phone. I wasn't a fan of android but android JB on the GS3 is good. For now I'm content with what I'm able to do with this phone that I wasn't able with the iPhone 5. I don't hate iPhone and plan to take a look at next iPhone. Besides I change phones every 10-12 months. By then ill have a GS4 or iPhone 6 lol. I'm not loyal to any company. I go for what at the moment has more to offer me. I'm even curious what BB10 has to offer in 2013.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint

SJ, so glad to hear you have no regrets? I am literally wondering what happens if I dont like the note 2, haha. I have done enough researching, you tubing, playing with it at a t mobile store to know i am foaming at the mouth for it, but owning it is very different. I am like you and always change phones and will certainly look at the s4 and then the iphone 5s/6.

Was there a site/blog/forum you used to make the switch to the other side easier?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So far I absolutely love my iPhone 5. it's not put a foot wrong so far. Great battery life, no scratches and no hiccups with the OS. Definitely far and away beats the hair-pulling experience I had with my previous Android phone.

All in all, a very happy customer.

Hope my American friends have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow too!

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
SJ, so glad to hear you have no regrets? I am literally wondering what happens if I dont like the note 2, haha. I have done enough researching, you tubing, playing with it at a t mobile store to know i am foaming at the mouth for it, but owning it is very different. I am like you and always change phones and will certainly look at the s4 and then the iphone 5s/6.

Was there a site/blog/forum you used to make the switch to the other side easier?

Making the switch wasn't from day to night. I would Google galaxy S3/iPhone 5 and compare what others had to say. I tend to read forums that are neither iPhone based nor android based but smartphone based. Of course the fan boys will defend their choice of device till the end. I'm always reading crackberry/android central/imore forums. I can walk to my local sprint store since it's close by so I had plenty of time to play with the phone before I made the switch. Understand in the end it's what pleases you and want from a device. For me right now the galaxy S3 serves me well. I get identical if not better battery life than iPhone 5. I can actually talk and data at the same time on 3G/LTE with this device on sprint. On the iphone 5 no because it only had one single chip that handles all connections while the GS3 has 2. Now that I can actually use this feature on sprint I'm enjoying it quite well. I also type faster on this thing via the SwiftKey 3 keyboard which I whole heartily recommend. And the GOsms is the way to go via your text app. I know I'll use an iPhone device again...not right now though. Remember get the device that fits and satisfies your everyday needs. Right now IMHO the iphone 5/SG3/note 2 are the devices many want and like. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, what can I say? At the end of the day, it is still an iPhone. The best iPhone to date, which is to be expected. However, I like many of you, am bored. Picked up an HTC 8X the other day. Beautiful device. But at the end of the day, it bored me as well. In the not so distant past, I had countless android devices. I'd spend two good weeks rooting and flashing rom, completely immersed in the device, and then be bored yet again. I think my problem stems more from the fact that invariably, I see all cellular devices as having the same capabilities more or less. Maybe I need to spend some time with a flip phone to appreciate and enjoy what these pocketable computers have to offer.

On another note, I'm soooo considering ditching Verizon and my iPhone for a Nexus 4 on a T-Mobile monthly 4G plan. I absolutely live the service I'm getting with Verizon, but you can't beat $30 for unlimited text and data with 100 minutes. Unfortunately, the more I think about this as a viable option, the more people want to call me and keep me on the phone for hours at a time, which reminds me that I'd need to use a VoIP service and all that jazz. Not sure how great that would be.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Still loving mine. Had my iPhone 4 for right at two years and loved it the whole time. I got kind of bored, yes, but it was reliable and if it ever did have a minor problem, I knew to come to this site and figure out how to fix it. At the end of the day, slight boredom is a small price to pay for epic reliability. :)

Plus, I get an Android phone as my work phone so I can always tweak it if I want.

Amy wineBerry

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Still loving mine. Had my iPhone 4 for right at two years and loved it the whole time. I got kind of bored, yes, but it was reliable and if it ever did have a minor problem, I knew to come to this site and figure out how to fix it. At the end of the day, slight boredom is a small price to pay for epic reliability. :)

Plus, I get an Android phone as my work phone so I can always tweak it if I want.

I completely agree with you as far as reliability is concerned. That's the reason I kept going back to my BlackBerry and is now the reason I keep coming back to iPhone. It just works. I feel like I don't appreciate the reliability though.

footmatix

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
It's about the ease of use and integration into my 'media' life. It's weird to me to use another smartphone platform since Apple TV and the MB Pro are part of my e-life.
Also believe the phone call quality has been improved vs the iP4s.
Great App library. The most complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I actually just switched my 5 for my wife's 4s. Maybe it's just me but I like the smaller screen. The 5 is a great phone and I had absolutely no issues with it, just prefer the smaller screen size. Tool me since launch day to figure out why I couldn't get comfortable with it

soogriff

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
I still enjoy this device. I thought the screen size wouldn't be noticeable but I can definitely tell when I'm holding a 4 instead of a 5. I upgraded my storage capacity to 64 GB and love it. The camera is awesome. I take pictures daily. The panoramic was fun for about a week, I'm over that now. It's definitely faster than my 4. So far so good. No complaints.

anygivensunday

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I actually just switched my 5 for my wife's 4s. Maybe it's just me but I like the smaller screen. The 5 is a great phone and I had absolutely no issues with it, just prefer the smaller screen size. Tool me since launch day to figure out why I couldn't get comfortable with it

I hear that I bought a 4s and a 5 a little under a week apart. At times I find myself, when I need to get things done I default to the 4s just because its more comfortable in my hands. Especially if I'm doing things for work or writing papers or something for school. 4s is the work horse. But I love the 5 definitely couldn't be without it. Fast and light.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I've owned the ip5 for two weeks now. I like it just as much as I liked my 4S.
I'm just as fast with it as I was with the 4S, considering the slightly larger size.
At times, I do find myself having to dip the phone a little lower into my palm when
wanting to reach my thumb to the upper left corner. I have pretty big hands, too.
It's not as seamless as Apple makes it to be, but, it's not that much of a pain.

The thinness of the phone is remarkable as well as the weight. It feels really
weird now picking up a previous gen iPhone.

The LTE is great. I've had better than decent coverage around the Los Angeles
suburbs and Orange County with AT&T and the speeds are really, really good.

Something I underrated was the being able to stick the lighting connector into the
dock in any position. It's kind of cool not having to have it in a certain upright to
fit, and instead, fits both ways.

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I've owned the ip5 for two weeks now. I like it just as much as I liked my 4S.
I'm just as fast with it as I was with the 4S, considering the slightly larger size.
At times, I do find myself having to dip the phone a little lower into my palm when
wanting to reach my thumb to the upper left corner. I have pretty big hands, too.
It's not as seamless as Apple makes it to be, but, it's not that much of a pain.

The thinness of the phone is remarkable as well as the weight. It feels really
weird now picking up a previous gen iPhone.

The LTE is great. I've had better than decent coverage around the Los Angeles
suburbs and Orange County with AT&T and the speeds are really, really good.

Something I underrated was the being able to stick the lighting connector into the
dock in any position. It's kind of cool not having to have it in a certain upright to
fit, and instead, fits both ways.

It really comes handy in the dark!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at the Lumia 920 HEAVILY over the last month or so...the phone was really peeking my interest and i was really liking what i was reading. My friend got his on release day, and brought it in for me to mess with for a few hours. The phone has a beautiful screen, and you can tell the camera is a heavy weight amongst inferior competition...but the phone felt so heavy, bulky and Windows 8 OS just isn't for me. I felt like i was having to search all over just for basic functionality...the tile system was cool for about 5min. but then became kind of boring to be honest (and a little annoying because it felt like the apps were having to double load for the tile and then to open it to use).

In the end, when i handed his phone back to him, i picked up my iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier with it. That Lumia 920 was about as close as anything was going to come to competition for me, and it just wasn't up to snuff. I like where it was going, it's certainly on the level more so than ANY other Windows based phone before, but it's got some work to do before it's a front runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711