Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: After 2 months your thoughts?

Wish for better battery life.
    Sekelani Zwambila likes this.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    496 Global Posts

I am happy to see this post as I was going to ask a similar question. I have been an apple fan boy for ever and got my 5 at launch like most of you. 2 months later, I am going to sell it on ebay next week and pick up the galaxy note 2 on VZW. I am just bored. Maybe it was the hype or the fact that literally EVERYONE has one (dont understand the gs3 numbers outselling apple). I was in verizon today to play with the DNA and with all the people waiting and people purchasing, it was all iphones. It's mind blowing. I would not think anyone owns an android phone.

I plan on buying the note with my proceeds from the 5 and I am reserving the right to come back to apple down the road. Figured it was time for a change and enjoy the customization of jelly bean and enjoy the s pen.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    I am happy to see this post as I was going to ask a similar question. I have been an apple fan boy for ever and got my 5 at launch like most of you. 2 months later, I am going to sell it on ebay next week and pick up the galaxy note 2 on VZW. I am just bored. Maybe it was the hype or the fact that literally EVERYONE has one (dont understand the gs3 numbers outselling apple). I was in verizon today to play with the DNA and with all the people waiting and people purchasing, it was all iphones. It's mind blowing. I would not think anyone owns an android phone.

I plan on buying the note with my proceeds from the 5 and I am reserving the right to come back to apple down the road. Figured it was time for a change and enjoy the customization of jelly bean and enjoy the s pen.
    I sold my iPhone 5 that I had bought on launch day. I'm not a fan boy for any phone manufacture. I bought a new GS3 and still have money left over. I totally like this phone. I wasn't a fan of android but android JB on the GS3 is good. For now I'm content with what I'm able to do with this phone that I wasn't able with the iPhone 5. I don't hate iPhone and plan to take a look at next iPhone. Besides I change phones every 10-12 months. By then ill have a GS4 or iPhone 6 lol. I'm not loyal to any company. I go for what at the moment has more to offer me. I'm even curious what BB10 has to offer in 2013.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint
    My history: 8330*8330m*9650*9670*9330*iPhone4white*iPhone4Swhi te*iPhone5white*iPhone5S silver
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    496 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sj-performance View Post
    I sold my iPhone 5 that I had bought on launch day. I'm not a fan boy for any phone manufacture. I bought a new GS3 and still have money left over. I totally like this phone. I wasn't a fan of android but android JB on the GS3 is good. For now I'm content with what I'm able to do with this phone that I wasn't able with the iPhone 5. I don't hate iPhone and plan to take a look at next iPhone. Besides I change phones every 10-12 months. By then ill have a GS4 or iPhone 6 lol. I'm not loyal to any company. I go for what at the moment has more to offer me. I'm even curious what BB10 has to offer in 2013.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint
    SJ, so glad to hear you have no regrets? I am literally wondering what happens if I dont like the note 2, haha. I have done enough researching, you tubing, playing with it at a t mobile store to know i am foaming at the mouth for it, but owning it is very different. I am like you and always change phones and will certainly look at the s4 and then the iphone 5s/6.

Was there a site/blog/forum you used to make the switch to the other side easier?

Global Posts
    863 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

So far I absolutely love my iPhone 5. it's not put a foot wrong so far. Great battery life, no scratches and no hiccups with the OS. Definitely far and away beats the hair-pulling experience I had with my previous Android phone.

All in all, a very happy customer.

Hope my American friends have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow too!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Quote Originally Posted by sudbury78 View Post
    SJ, so glad to hear you have no regrets? I am literally wondering what happens if I dont like the note 2, haha. I have done enough researching, you tubing, playing with it at a t mobile store to know i am foaming at the mouth for it, but owning it is very different. I am like you and always change phones and will certainly look at the s4 and then the iphone 5s/6.

Was there a site/blog/forum you used to make the switch to the other side easier?
    Making the switch wasn't from day to night. I would Google galaxy S3/iPhone 5 and compare what others had to say. I tend to read forums that are neither iPhone based nor android based but smartphone based. Of course the fan boys will defend their choice of device till the end. I'm always reading crackberry/android central/imore forums. I can walk to my local sprint store since it's close by so I had plenty of time to play with the phone before I made the switch. Understand in the end it's what pleases you and want from a device. For me right now the galaxy S3 serves me well. I get identical if not better battery life than iPhone 5. I can actually talk and data at the same time on 3G/LTE with this device on sprint. On the iphone 5 no because it only had one single chip that handles all connections while the GS3 has 2. Now that I can actually use this feature on sprint I'm enjoying it quite well. I also type faster on this thing via the SwiftKey 3 keyboard which I whole heartily recommend. And the GOsms is the way to go via your text app. I know I'll use an iPhone device again...not right now though. Remember get the device that fits and satisfies your everyday needs. Right now IMHO the iphone 5/SG3/note 2 are the devices many want and like. Good luck. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tapatalk via SG3@Sprint
    My history: 8330*8330m*9650*9670*9330*iPhone4white*iPhone4Swhi te*iPhone5white*iPhone5S silver
    Thanked by:
    sudbury78 (11-21-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,300 Global Posts

Default After 2 months your thoughts?

Well, what can I say? At the end of the day, it is still an iPhone. The best iPhone to date, which is to be expected. However, I like many of you, am bored. Picked up an HTC 8X the other day. Beautiful device. But at the end of the day, it bored me as well. In the not so distant past, I had countless android devices. I'd spend two good weeks rooting and flashing rom, completely immersed in the device, and then be bored yet again. I think my problem stems more from the fact that invariably, I see all cellular devices as having the same capabilities more or less. Maybe I need to spend some time with a flip phone to appreciate and enjoy what these pocketable computers have to offer.

On another note, I'm soooo considering ditching Verizon and my iPhone for a Nexus 4 on a T-Mobile monthly 4G plan. I absolutely live the service I'm getting with Verizon, but you can't beat $30 for unlimited text and data with 100 minutes. Unfortunately, the more I think about this as a viable option, the more people want to call me and keep me on the phone for hours at a time, which reminds me that I'd need to use a VoIP service and all that jazz. Not sure how great that would be.
    mommybetts likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Still loving mine. Had my iPhone 4 for right at two years and loved it the whole time. I got kind of bored, yes, but it was reliable and if it ever did have a minor problem, I knew to come to this site and figure out how to fix it. At the end of the day, slight boredom is a small price to pay for epic reliability.

Plus, I get an Android phone as my work phone so I can always tweak it if I want.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post
    Still loving mine. Had my iPhone 4 for right at two years and loved it the whole time. I got kind of bored, yes, but it was reliable and if it ever did have a minor problem, I knew to come to this site and figure out how to fix it. At the end of the day, slight boredom is a small price to pay for epic reliability.

Plus, I get an Android phone as my work phone so I can always tweak it if I want.
    I completely agree with you as far as reliability is concerned. That's the reason I kept going back to my BlackBerry and is now the reason I keep coming back to iPhone. It just works. I feel like I don't appreciate the reliability though.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

It's about the ease of use and integration into my 'media' life. It's weird to me to use another smartphone platform since Apple TV and the MB Pro are part of my e-life.
    Also believe the phone call quality has been improved vs the iP4s.
    Great App library. The most complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone Intermediate

I actually just switched my 5 for my wife's 4s. Maybe it's just me but I like the smaller screen. The 5 is a great phone and I had absolutely no issues with it, just prefer the smaller screen size. Tool me since launch day to figure out why I couldn't get comfortable with it
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I still enjoy this device. I thought the screen size wouldn't be noticeable but I can definitely tell when I'm holding a 4 instead of a 5. I upgraded my storage capacity to 64 GB and love it. The camera is awesome. I take pictures daily. The panoramic was fun for about a week, I'm over that now. It's definitely faster than my 4. So far so good. No complaints.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Pjr772 View Post
    I actually just switched my 5 for my wife's 4s. Maybe it's just me but I like the smaller screen. The 5 is a great phone and I had absolutely no issues with it, just prefer the smaller screen size. Tool me since launch day to figure out why I couldn't get comfortable with it
    I hear that I bought a 4s and a 5 a little under a week apart. At times I find myself, when I need to get things done I default to the 4s just because its more comfortable in my hands. Especially if I'm doing things for work or writing papers or something for school. 4s is the work horse. But I love the 5 definitely couldn't be without it. Fast and light.

Global Posts
    2,987 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I've owned the ip5 for two weeks now. I like it just as much as I liked my 4S.
    I'm just as fast with it as I was with the 4S, considering the slightly larger size.
    At times, I do find myself having to dip the phone a little lower into my palm when
    wanting to reach my thumb to the upper left corner. I have pretty big hands, too.
    It's not as seamless as Apple makes it to be, but, it's not that much of a pain.

The thinness of the phone is remarkable as well as the weight. It feels really
    weird now picking up a previous gen iPhone.

The LTE is great. I've had better than decent coverage around the Los Angeles
    suburbs and Orange County with AT&T and the speeds are really, really good.

Something I underrated was the being able to stick the lighting connector into the
    dock in any position. It's kind of cool not having to have it in a certain upright to
    fit, and instead, fits both ways.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #40  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I've owned the ip5 for two weeks now. I like it just as much as I liked my 4S.
    I'm just as fast with it as I was with the 4S, considering the slightly larger size.
    At times, I do find myself having to dip the phone a little lower into my palm when
    wanting to reach my thumb to the upper left corner. I have pretty big hands, too.
    It's not as seamless as Apple makes it to be, but, it's not that much of a pain.

The thinness of the phone is remarkable as well as the weight. It feels really
    weird now picking up a previous gen iPhone.

The LTE is great. I've had better than decent coverage around the Los Angeles
    suburbs and Orange County with AT&T and the speeds are really, really good.

Something I underrated was the being able to stick the lighting connector into the
    dock in any position. It's kind of cool not having to have it in a certain upright to
    fit, and instead, fits both ways.
    It really comes handy in the dark!
    Heisenberg likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,983 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I was looking at the Lumia 920 HEAVILY over the last month or so...the phone was really peeking my interest and i was really liking what i was reading. My friend got his on release day, and brought it in for me to mess with for a few hours. The phone has a beautiful screen, and you can tell the camera is a heavy weight amongst inferior competition...but the phone felt so heavy, bulky and Windows 8 OS just isn't for me. I felt like i was having to search all over just for basic functionality...the tile system was cool for about 5min. but then became kind of boring to be honest (and a little annoying because it felt like the apps were having to double load for the tile and then to open it to use).

In the end, when i handed his phone back to him, i picked up my iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier with it. That Lumia 920 was about as close as anything was going to come to competition for me, and it just wasn't up to snuff. I like where it was going, it's certainly on the level more so than ANY other Windows based phone before, but it's got some work to do before it's a front runner.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    evorc likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I was looking at the Lumia 920 HEAVILY over the last month or so...the phone was really peeking my interest and i was really liking what i was reading. My friend got his on release day, and brought it in for me to mess with for a few hours. The phone has a beautiful screen, and you can tell the camera is a heavy weight amongst inferior competition...but the phone felt so heavy, bulky and Windows 8 OS just isn't for me. I felt like i was having to search all over just for basic functionality...the tile system was cool for about 5min. but then became kind of boring to be honest (and a little annoying because it felt like the apps were having to double load for the tile and then to open it to use).

In the end, when i handed his phone back to him, i picked up my iPhone 5 and couldn't be happier with it. That Lumia 920 was about as close as anything was going to come to competition for me, and it just wasn't up to snuff. I like where it was going, it's certainly on the level more so than ANY other Windows based phone before, but it's got some work to do before it's a front runner.
    I had the HTC 8X for less than 24 hours. Beautiful device and all. But once you get past the metro look, which is gorgeous by the way, I was definitely bored of it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,349 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7 GM

Well after using the galaxy S3 for a total of about 2 weeks I gave up. Android is nice and all but the customization got boring. I totally regretted selling my black iPhone 5 32gb for this phone. Jellybean still lags. I was having a hard time getting good battery life. The typing wasn't as smooth as the iPhone. I felt everyday I was changing something and things went downhill from there. The last 3 days I had horrible battery life. When I found myself digging for apps on google play that would simplify my life the way iOS did...this is when I gave up. I sold the galaxy today...I broke even actually so I didn't lose any money. I bought a new 5 16GB today...this time I got it white and I'm glad I did...having the black and now the white I totally prefer white. For now I'm happy and glad to be back on iPhone 5.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Well after using the galaxy S3 for a total of about 2 weeks I gave up. Android is nice and all but the customization got boring. I totally regretted selling my black iPhone 5 32gb for this phone. Jellybean still lags. I was having a hard time getting good battery life. The typing wasn't as smooth as the iPhone. I felt everyday I was changing something and things went downhill from there. The last 3 days I had horrible battery life. When I found myself digging for apps on google play that would simplify my life the way iOS did...this is when I gave up. I sold the galaxy today...I broke even actually so I didn't lose any money. I bought a new 5 16GB today...this time I got it white and I'm glad I did...having the black and now the white I totally prefer white. For now I'm happy and glad to be back on iPhone 5.
    Agree the white looks a lot better in person.
    iMore Specialist

Global Posts
    1,693 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by Amy wineBerry View Post
    On another note, I'm soooo considering ditching Verizon and my iPhone for a Nexus 4 on a T-Mobile monthly 4G plan. I absolutely live the service I'm getting with Verizon, but you can't beat $30 for unlimited text and data with 100 minutes. Unfortunately, the more I think about this as a viable option, the more people want to call me and keep me on the phone for hours at a time, which reminds me that I'd need to use a VoIP service and all that jazz. Not sure how great that would be.
    I also considered this cause the Nexus 4 is the first android phone that has a build quality that could rival the iPhone. I've resisted though because it's been so long since I've had an iPhone and I'm loving the 5 so much! The battery life for me kills all of my android devices and the design is so striking and sexy sometimes I just find myself admiring it.

Beamed from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,300 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swarlos View Post
    I also considered this cause the Nexus 4 is the first android phone that has a build quality that could rival the iPhone. I've resisted though because it's been so long since I've had an iPhone and I'm loving the 5 so much! The battery life for me kills all of my android devices and the design is so striking and sexy sometimes I just find myself admiring it.

Build quality may be there, but I think it is the overall flow of the OS that could be holding me back. I hear great things about Jellybean. But I also hear that it still has lag issues. I'm definitely going to try it out for myself, though. I just need Google to actually keep one in stock long enough for me to order it lol. (A 4 to 5 week shipping time frame is as good as out of stock to me lol.)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,300 Global Posts

This is what worries me about wanting to make the switch to a Nexus 4. Every stint I have had with an Android device has been short lived with me spending a max of maybe three weeks with any device. (And this was when my main device was a BlackBerry.)

Just as I was stuck on WinMo for a couple of years, then BlackBerry for a couple of years, I feel as if I may be settled in with iOS as my daily driver for awhile to come. (I only made the complete switch to an iPhone once the 4S was released.)
    iMore Specialist

Global Posts
    1,693 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.2

Quote Originally Posted by Amy wineBerry View Post
    Build quality may be there, but I think it is the overall flow of the OS that could be holding me back. I hear great things about Jellybean. But I also hear that it still has lag issues. I'm definitely going to try it out for myself, though. I just need Google to actually keep one in stock long enough for me to order it lol. (A 4 to 5 week shipping time frame is as good as out of stock to me lol.)
    I used Android since the transition from Eclair (2.1) to JB and it has come a very long way but unfortunately with all it's bells and whistles the polish is still a ways off compared to iOS but it will get there.

I also checked out the play store today and added one to my cart even though I knew I wouldn't get it. Maybe next years nexus I will give a shot.

There's some things I think apple needs to implement that I miss from android and certain roms such as quick toggles in notification center, pop up for SMS like BiteSMS and the ability to arrange your photos freely within the gallery.

I'm still a huge fan of android and will likely go back to it with next years nexus but for now I'm content with my 5.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,455 Global Posts

I'm surprisingly not tired of it yet. The LTE and screen fixed the reasons I left in the first place. Who knows though. I'm not the type to stick with a phone for a long time, so we'll see.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    iOS Version

For those who are buying Samsung smartphones, be aware that Samsung uses weak radios/antennas on their devices. Both the Galaxy Nexus and the GS3 have had reception problems in areas where the signal was not strong. I have had first hand experience with a GS3 that had this problem. I live in a part of Long Beach where the signal is not strong. Less than half a mile from where i live the signal is fantastic. My house mate bought a GS3. Her phone would drop calls and when you could talk on the phone it was very choppy and you could not hear half of what was said. We had to take it to Verizon 4 times before they agreed to give her another one. This one seems to be good, but I do not know how long this will last. Just go to Android Central and check the many threads on poor reception with Samsung devices. Motorola does not have this problem. My brother has an Atrix 2 and he comes to my house often. He has had zero problems with reception at my house. Stay away from Samsung especially if you live in an area that does not have a strong signal.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast