Something fishy this month with iPhone 5 data usage and AT&T...

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
So last month i used more data than i have ever used on any of my iPhone's...this wasn't surprising as i knew with LTE, the faster the internet the more internet i would obviously look at. In that calling cycle i went over my limit 3 times...that's 4GB initially and then 3 more GB's for a grand total of 7GB of data usage for one calling cycle. I called AT&T and they explained that they can only reference what they see as usage, and from that they deduced that i did in fact use close to 7GB of data and that the overage charges would not be removed. I wasn't really upset, i was more confused because while i knew i used more than normal, i knew for a fact i didn't use THAT much more than normal.

Skip forward to today...the 14th of November, which is about 12 days until cycle starts over again or a little more than half way through. At this point i haven't even used my data plan 75% yet...it's right over 65% (and i received the notice from AT&T this past Saturday). I have been on the computer about the same amount of time i would normally be on it during a month, and looking back, i have been at work MORE this calling cycle than i was last calling cycle, which tells me that i would be using the tethering feature MORE this calling cycle. But i haven't even hit the 3/4's mark yet.

I called AT&T and explained this, and they basically said the same thing, and that they can only go by what data they see as being used...but honestly, i think this is a crock of crap and last month i was bleeding out data some how (which isn't happening anymore).

Could the update we received in the last few weeks have caused a fix to data seepage? (adjustments to WiFi settings i know were a big piece of the last update)

marky66

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I am a very light (cellular) data user - since I am on Wi-Fi all day at work, and all night at home. I am currently on the 200MB plan - and in 2 years, I have NEVER gone over 120MB for the ENTIRE month. But then I got the iPhone 5 five days ago. So in just those 5 days, I supposedly have used 175MB of cellular data!! And I've done nothing different in my email, texting, browsing habits. I called AT&T, and they were less than helpful. Since I am on Wi-Fi 95% of the time, there is NO WAY I could have used up this much data. I am 100% certain of that. The only thing I can think of, is that maybe this is an iPhone 5 problem?? Maybe the phone connects to cell service even when Wi-Fi is present? I'm not technical enough to confirm this, but if anyone else has any thoughts, please share. I can't afford any "overage" charges..... Thanks!

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem. The best part is when you call and ask where the data is going, they say they can't tell. I then asked well how can you tell I am tethering then(I have received the nasty texts before bc I have unlimited data)? And of course they had no answer.

It is funny that they can tell where the data is going when it costs them money but they can't help when it results in revenue for them.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Datwood2009

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I went out of town for the weekend and in half of one day we used up 40% of our 2GBs. We don't stream music but I did use my GPS for about 10 miles. We usually just look up things or play games.
Also, my wife is always on wifi because she is a stay at home mom and I rarely use my phone at work. I don't know how we are going over our 2GBs.
There is definitely something fishy because when we had other smartphones we never got close to 2GB and that was when we had unlimited data.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Sean, yes, I have also noticed a very large spike in my cellular data usage over last months billing cycle. According to Rene's article on iMores front page, this issue could be related to a streaming bug within iOS 6. http://m.imore.com/increased-cellular-data-use-may-be-linked-streaming-bug-ios-6-fixed-ios-601

I did not have this problem, until I recently updated to 6.0.1.

This is what my usage was last month and this month. Thank goodness I still have my unlimited data plan or I could be facing overage charges as well. Lets hope they fix this sooner rather than later!

y3yda2e3.jpg

e4atuhyj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I would look up data shrinking apps like Onavo Extended and Onavo Count. These apps shrink data usage and break down how much data apps are using. It installs a profile to track your data but it is very secure. Hotspot shield also had a VPN that can compress data but its 10 bucks a year. Onavo apps are free.

boldBud

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a little more data. I'm not sure if it's me, or if the phone does more background data stuff, or if it just consumes more data.

I use about 2.5GB of my 6GB plan so I'm personally not concerned.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
@Irish...so your issue has started since the update? Strangely...my issue has been remedied (it seems) since the update.

I've been doing some research online and I'm seeing that it's not just the iPhone...several of the smart phones upon release were bleeding out data via LTE and then were remedied shortly after release. It makes me wonder if the carriers think because of the data usage change, they feel they can take advantage of the users who typically wouldn't even question it and just attribute it to the LTE service being used more.

It's frustrating, and after another call to AT&T to simply explain my findings, it is very obvious they are not interested in retracting those overage fees when there was obviously something going on.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
@Irish...so your issue has started since the update? Strangely...my issue has been remedied (it seems) since the update.

I first noticed the spike in my usage a few days into the Oct billing cycle. Which I figured was around the time of the last iOS update. Can't say for sure whether that played a part in it or not, but I've only been using 587MB of LTE since getting my iPhone 5, so going from that to over 2.5GB is really odd considering how I use my iPhone 5 hasn't changed.... I called AT&T today just to see what they would say and the premier rep said that the way that they measure data is very accurate and that is the amount of data that I used over the past month. He then tried to get me to switch the data plan that I am on now and I laughed and said "Switch from a plan that's currently unlimited LTE data? No way! Thank you and have a nice day." ..... This is the exact reason why I never opted to get rid of my unlimited data plan before and won't until I am forced off.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It's funny to me that they literally approach this as if they KNOW the issue is completely our faults...all of the reps i spoke to listened to my issue, then responded with the same, scripted BS that they respond to everyone with, and honestly, i don't even think any of them understood what i was explaining to them...i asked one of them if they had an iPhone 5 or an iPhone period and they were like "The type of phone doesn't really make a difference when it comes to data usage." I knew then that they literally could care less what i was explaining...

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm on a tiered 3GB plan. I just got my iPhone 5 on AT&T yesterday. With people
experiencing different issues with this whole data thing, I will be watching the usage
like a hawk. I've noticed now that AT&T has up to the minute data usage instead of
having to wait until the next day to see how much you've used since the last time it
was updated.

MANdroidd

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Have you updated to the latest firmware? I read somewhere that there was an issue with wifi leaking into cellular data. not sure if it got resolved though

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Even though that was referencing home DSL usage, I find this part the most comical...

“a dedicated team of trained and specialized lab engineers that thoroughly review and check the accuracy of our home broadband data measurement system on a regular basis.”

Lab engineers = customer service phone center workers that hit the 10 year mark and had less than 20% complaint feedback and may or may not have attended some community college online courses for a few weeks before dropping out.

They let a computer do it, and the computer has no ability to understand fluke data leakage, it just see's usage and files it away under your account...then they look at said file, tell you it's accurate and don't think another thing about it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Even though that was referencing home DSL usage, I find this part the most comical...

Lab engineers = customer service phone center workers that hit the 10 year mark and had less than 20% complaint feedback and may or may not have attended some community college online courses for a few weeks before dropping out.

They let a computer do it, and the computer has no ability to understand fluke data leakage, it just see's usage and files it away under your account...then they look at said file, tell you it's accurate and don't think another thing about it.
Of course, but if they dilly dally around with providing helpful information in regard to how they calculate bandwidth data for broadband, would we expect any different or better for cellular data?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course, but if they dilly dally around with providing helpful information in regard to how they calculate bandwidth data for broadband, would we expect any different or better for cellular data?

This is a good point...

And i had some success today...after all the phone calls, i finally went online to their chat support for billing, i explained at length the situation, showed them the various things i could show them and let them look at my previous months of billing data and the rep finally removed the overages charges i incurred...his response was that he was doing it because i was a good customer for a long time, i explained to them that it shouldn't have come to that but i was thankful they removed the charges...i tried to get him to acknowledge that the situation seemed at least questionable but he said that they go by what their data tells them...and i honestly think they removed the charges to shut me up.

So a sort of win...but still no major development on fixing the major issue that people seem to still be facing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a good point...

And i had some success today...after all the phone calls, i finally went online to their chat support for billing, i explained at length the situation, showed them the various things i could show them and let them look at my previous months of billing data and the rep finally removed the overages charges i incurred...his response was that he was doing it because i was a good customer for a long time, i explained to them that it shouldn't have come to that but i was thankful they removed the charges...i tried to get him to acknowledge that the situation seemed at least questionable but he said that they go by what their data tells them...and i honestly think they removed the charges to shut me up.

So a sort of win...but still no major development on fixing the major issue that people seem to still be facing.

I agree. Furthermore, I'm sure that the reports of the alleged iOS data bug has come to their attention and AT&T knows that it would have to reimburse customers at some point in time for data overages that were proven to not be their fault. No company wants bad publicity or to be sued especially from customers who purchase Apple devices. In the meantime, congratulations on getting your issue resolved and hopefully, others will follow your lead and get the same results.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative