Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Angry Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related

My wife retired her iphone 4 and bought a Samsung galaxy S3 yesterday. Now I cant text her without turning off iMessage because my phone is a moron and thinks she still has an iphone. I deleted her contact and added her as a new person and put the number as "other" instead of "iphone. This is getting annoying as the rest of my family has iphones and limited text plans as I do and I have to turn off iMessage to talk to my wife then turn it back on to talk with dad and family.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful, thanks!!
    Thanked by:
    Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes (02-03-2013)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    937 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related

If you still have her old iPhone you need to turn off iMessage.

via Tapatalk
    Twitter: @vietalogy
    Ipheuria and halomgir like this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related

Quote Originally Posted by vietalogy View Post
    If you still have her old iPhone you need to turn off iMessage.

via Tapatalk
    No its on the mail on the way to Verizon for the trade in

Global Posts
    11,088 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related

Quote Originally Posted by campuscop2003 View Post
    No its on the mail on the way to Verizon for the trade in
    Did you have 'find my phone' active on it? Use that to do a remote wipe if possible...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    NolansVlogs likes this.

Global Posts
    2,973 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

There's a way to remove the serial number from her Apple ID without physically
    needing the phone. iMore had a blog once with a link to it. Lemme see if I can find it.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    There's a way to remove the serial number from her Apple ID without physically
    needing the phone. iMore had a blog once with a link to it. Lemme see if I can find it.
    Cool that would be great.

I wiped the phone prior to shipping it so its back to stock.

Global Posts
    2,973 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I can't find that blog post. But she should be able to by going to the Apple ID support site and logging in.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    iOS Version

got apple support on the line, they were completely stumped. Had me do a reboot and reset my network settings. Did not work. I completely deleted her out of my contacts altogether, and tried to text her by number only and it still freaking turned blue. Now I'm getting angry!

Global Posts
    2,973 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Once it sends blue just gently hold down the message and send it as a text. It'll eventually recognize you're not in iMessage.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
    Thanked by:
    abaggy (03-12-2013), bradenfontaine (03-12-2013)
    abaggy likes this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Once it sends blue just gently hold down the message and send it as a text. It'll eventually recognize you're not in iMessage.
    Thanks that a cool trick. Worked!! Thanks so much!! still turns blue but at least I now know how to change it over to a text. Wonder how long till it catches on that my wife has a droid not an iphone?

woohoo sent three texts that way and now its staying green!!! You are the best tech support a guy could have!!!!!
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Assuming the device was registered with Apple: login and click "unregister".
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (11-12-2012)

Global Posts
    2,973 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    THAT is what I was looking for. Thanks!
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64gb
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,460 Global Posts
    iOS Version

iMessage bug prevents SMS from getting through to Android switchers | iMore.com

Here is the link the poster earlier was talking about.
    Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (11-14-2012)
    iMore Newbie

Does she have any other apple devices? If so that number may be associated with an iPad or something as now iMessages are connected to email address and iphone phone numbers.
    iPhone Nanite

I had the same issue with responding to my wife on her Samsung s3. Her number was never on iPhone . I'm on sprint and she's on Tmobile
    iPhone Nanite

I used to own an iphone 3gs, then i switched to android. I never got my friend's text messages because thy were being sent as imessage. The easiest way to fix this is to go to your contacts on your I phone, and select the ex-iPhone number. Then change the label from whatever it used to be to "home" or something you want. Then try to send a message to the DROID phone. It should work, and, if it still does not work after you switch the label back: delete that contact and make a new one (make sure the label is "mobile" and not "iPhone"). hope this helps.
    zeteo likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    895 Global Posts

is this bug consistently reproduced for someone who switch from iOS to others?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

It's not really a bug. You just have to shut off iMessage on the iPhone for your phone number. You can keep iMessage on your other iOS devices if they are connected to your email address or Apple ID.

I had my iPhone stolen from me when I was in South America and had the same problem. I had purchased an HTC Trophy but couldn't get texts from any of my friends who had an iPhone.

I was forced to sell the Trophy for another iPhone from eBay because iMessage was still on in the "Apple Servers."

I'm due for an upgrade in two weeks on Verizon and if I decide not to get an iPhone 5, I have to remember to turn iMessage off on my iPhone 4 before I get my new phone.
    iPhone Nanite

Least complicated, fastest solution is use a service like Tango which can associate an account with an email address instead of the phone number. Chat with your wife through an alternate application. WhatsApp is also great

Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by QCPanama View Post
    Least complicated, fastest solution is use a service like Tango which can associate an account with an email address instead of the phone number. Chat with your wife through an alternate application. WhatsApp is also great
    You can also associate email addresses with iMessage. Apple IDs are in the form of email addresses.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    Yeah, this does not work the way it's described. At least it didn't for me. I switch back and forth between an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 and for some reason two friends of mine with iPhones still sent iMessages to me when everyone else with an iPhone sent normal texts to me while using the Nexus. The above link was the first thing I tried with no success. It was a very odd issue. I don't think my issue was the same as the OP as it seems he just left iMessage on. So I'm sure the link did work for him. Or at least I hope it did.
    iPhone Newbie

iPhone is only iMessage, meaning iPhone to iPhone
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,248 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The issue is that the phone number of the former iPhone user is still associated with iMessage. So any time an iMessage capable device sends that phone number a text it will attempt to use iMessage.

The only way to avoid it is to always setup iMessage with an email address and not your phone number. Just turning iMessage off on the old device is not 100% effective either. I went through this last summer. I switch between my Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 and there is no problem now that iMessage is configured only with my email address.

Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by NolansVlogs View Post
    iPhone is only iMessage, meaning iPhone to iPhone
    Yes and no. Yes, iMessages are limited to device running certain versions of iOS and OS X, however, the iMessage app can still be used to send SMS messages to non-Apple devices.
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Yes and no. Yes, iMessages are limited to device running certain versions of iOS and OS X, however, the iMessage app can still be used to send SMS messages to non-Apple devices.
    Yes I do know that, I'm just saying (BLUE iMessage is only apple devices to apple devices)Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related-imageuploadedbyimore-forums1363105597.149628.jpg
    Last edited by Alli; 03-12-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: removing link
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast