Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related

campuscop2003

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
My wife retired her iphone 4 and bought a Samsung galaxy S3 yesterday. Now I cant text her without turning off iMessage because my phone is a moron and thinks she still has an iphone. I deleted her contact and added her as a new person and put the number as "other" instead of "iphone. This is getting annoying as the rest of my family has iphones and limited text plans as I do and I have to turn off iMessage to talk to my wife then turn it back on to talk with dad and family.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful, thanks!!

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
There's a way to remove the serial number from her Apple ID without physically
needing the phone. iMore had a blog once with a link to it. Lemme see if I can find it.

campuscop2003

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
got apple support on the line, they were completely stumped. Had me do a reboot and reset my network settings. Did not work. I completely deleted her out of my contacts altogether, and tried to text her by number only and it still freaking turned blue. Now I'm getting angry!

campuscop2003

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Once it sends blue just gently hold down the message and send it as a text. It'll eventually recognize you're not in iMessage.

Thanks that a cool trick. Worked!! Thanks so much!! still turns blue but at least I now know how to change it over to a text. Wonder how long till it catches on that my wife has a droid not an iphone?

woohoo sent three texts that way and now its staying green!!! You are the best tech support a guy could have!!!!!

Ih8reno

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Does she have any other apple devices? If so that number may be associated with an iPad or something as now iMessages are connected to email address and iphone phone numbers.

Ronald Buckingham

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I used to own an iphone 3gs, then i switched to android. I never got my friend's text messages because thy were being sent as imessage. The easiest way to fix this is to go to your contacts on your I phone, and select the ex-iPhone number. Then change the label from whatever it used to be to "home" or something you want. Then try to send a message to the DROID phone. It should work, and, if it still does not work after you switch the label back: delete that contact and make a new one (make sure the label is "mobile" and not "iPhone"). hope this helps.

Square85

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It's not really a bug. You just have to shut off iMessage on the iPhone for your phone number. You can keep iMessage on your other iOS devices if they are connected to your email address or Apple ID.

I had my iPhone stolen from me when I was in South America and had the same problem. I had purchased an HTC Trophy but couldn't get texts from any of my friends who had an iPhone.

I was forced to sell the Trophy for another iPhone from eBay because iMessage was still on in the "Apple Servers."

I'm due for an upgrade in two weeks on Verizon and if I decide not to get an iPhone 5, I have to remember to turn iMessage off on my iPhone 4 before I get my new phone.

QCPanama

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Least complicated, fastest solution is use a service like Tango which can associate an account with an email address instead of the phone number. Chat with your wife through an alternate application. WhatsApp is also great

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Least complicated, fastest solution is use a service like Tango which can associate an account with an email address instead of the phone number. Chat with your wife through an alternate application. WhatsApp is also great

You can also associate email addresses with iMessage. Apple IDs are in the form of email addresses.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711