Wife switched to Android, now I cant send her texts - iMessage related

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Assuming the device was registered with Apple: https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN login and click "unregister".

Yeah, this does not work the way it's described. At least it didn't for me. I switch back and forth between an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4 and for some reason two friends of mine with iPhones still sent iMessages to me when everyone else with an iPhone sent normal texts to me while using the Nexus. The above link was the first thing I tried with no success. It was a very odd issue. I don't think my issue was the same as the OP as it seems he just left iMessage on. So I'm sure the link did work for him. Or at least I hope it did.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
The issue is that the phone number of the former iPhone user is still associated with iMessage. So any time an iMessage capable device sends that phone number a text it will attempt to use iMessage.

The only way to avoid it is to always setup iMessage with an email address and not your phone number. Just turning iMessage off on the old device is not 100% effective either. I went through this last summer. I switch between my Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 and there is no problem now that iMessage is configured only with my email address.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is only iMessage, meaning iPhone to iPhone

Yes and no. Yes, iMessages are limited to device running certain versions of iOS and OS X, however, the iMessage app can still be used to send SMS messages to non-Apple devices.

NolansVlogs

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no. Yes, iMessages are limited to device running certain versions of iOS and OS X, however, the iMessage app can still be used to send SMS messages to non-Apple devices.

Yes I do know that, I'm just saying (BLUE iMessage is only apple devices to apple devices)ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1363105597.149628.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

zeteo

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I used to own an iphone 3gs, then i switched to android. I never got my friend's text messages because thy were being sent as imessage. The easiest way to fix this is to go to your contacts on your I phone, and select the ex-iPhone number. Then change the label from whatever it used to be to "home" or something you want. Then try to send a message to the DROID phone. It should work, and, if it still does not work after you switch the label back: delete that contact and make a new one (make sure the label is "mobile" and not "iPhone"). hope this helps.

This is what we have done for those poor folk using android.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
My wife retired her iphone 4 and bought a Samsung galaxy S3 yesterday. Now I cant text her without turning off iMessage because my phone is a moron and thinks she still has an iphone. I deleted her contact and added her as a new person and put the number as "other" instead of "iphone. This is getting annoying as the rest of my family has iphones and limited text plans as I do and I have to turn off iMessage to talk to my wife then turn it back on to talk with dad and family.

Any ideas would be greatly helpful, thanks!!

This happened to me and my GF too. It took roughly 5 days for her phone number to "drop off" from Apple as an iMessage affiliation.

riverlee74

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm going thru the same thing trying to send my daughter texts she is not getting them because she is a teen! And switches from her iPhone 4S 64GB to her blackberry every other week or so... I have to turn off the iMessage to message my daughter then put it back on to text others, it's VERY ANNOYING I really hope someone can figure this out... I know how you feel I'm looking into it.. Turned he iMessage off.. On her iPhone, still doesn't work, deleted email, didn't work... Reboot hard reboot twice, nothing.. Driving me crazy too.. If anyone can help us would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you read the thread?

They posted both a link to remove the phone from her Apple ID so it will no longer be looking for those iMessages and told you how to tap and hold the text to change it to a text message.

None of what you listed included the steps offered in the thread.

David Saint Hubbins

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The answer to this for me (and if you overlooked one of these things, it may work for you) was to go the Apple site and "deregister" my iPhone5. While I was at it, I deregistered all six of the previous iPhones that were still registered there.

But if you also have an iPad, and if that iPad includes your former iPhone's cellular number as one of its acceptable paths for iMessage, then that is a problem you absolutely must fix. Get the phone number out of the iPad by simply unchecking it in Settings. Otherwise, Apple's server will see a valid device out there and continue delivering messages as iMessages - no regular SMS will be sent.

Arelunde

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Once it sends blue just gently hold down the message and send it as a text. It'll eventually recognize you're not in iMessage.

This works - once you write the message (it still shows blue for iMessage) and send, quickly touch and hold the message area until it asks if you want to send it as a regular text message. After a while - and it may be a couple months - it will automatically send as a text message.

Does your wife have an iPad? If so, she may find all your iMessages going there via her email @me or @iCloud address. It might help to delete these from her contact listing on your phone if she isn't using them. Also, while there, make sure the label for her phone number is NOT "iPhone."

Last edited:

groovy_guy

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes! I switched from an iPhone 4S to a Nokia 928 (Win8), and haven't received any texts from my Verizon number. I've resorted to using Google Voice's SMS, not happy with Apple at the moment.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro