Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default iPhone 5S - They can't be serious, can they?

So the Chinese are claiming that Apple will be releasing the iPhone 5s and iPad (5th gen) in the 1st half of next year! Apparently iPhone 5s test production is under way.

That's insane!

What will you do if Apple switches to a 6 month release cycle?

Global Posts
    11,974 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: iPhone 5S - They can't be serious, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by fmflex View Post
    What will you do if Apple switches to a 6 month release cycle?
    Nothing. Keep using my 4S until my contract is up, or I can spring for full retail.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Way too early for that much hype... let’s wait and see what actually happens, shall we?
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Guacho likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Multiple

I like my 4. It works really well. No new adapters, cables, or cases required. Until the slow down with the product releases or my phone breaks, I'm good.

Global Posts
    22,945 Global Posts
    iOS Version

At this rate, they'll put out more devices than Android...(smirk)...I'll believe it when I see it.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,884 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I saw that and consider me highly skeptical on it. They might be doing some early testing to make sure that the people in the factory know the assembly process or to get even more test time. Everyone is scared now because of the iPad 3 & iPad 4 but that is a little different in the fact that the iPad 3 didn't have a fully global LTE chip and it wasn't using the lightening connector. There is no reason to release the next model of iPhone other than to get their release cycle set. The iPhone moved from a summer to fall release. The iPad may move to fall also because of the new iPad. The mini is also a fall release too so they need something spaced out throughout the entire year. The can't release iPad 5 in spring people would revolt. So perhaps it's iPhone in the spring, something in the summer and then iPads(full size and Mini) in the fall.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)

Global Posts
    7,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

The original source for those reports does have a reputation for being reliable.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,809 Global Posts
    iOS Version

A couple articles I've been reading are saying they are starting the production in December. So they might just be starting to do the testing then production. Whatever it is when my contract is up I will be checking it out.

Tapatalking
    "My personal hobbies are reading, listening to music, and silence." Edith Sitwell
    iMore Expert

no difference for me if Apple releases a 5S in six months, I'll skip it..
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    126 Global Posts

I read this also on CNet about a new Iphone 5S coming out in early 2013..To be honest I think that if they do these upgrades so quickly, people are not going to be so fast bothering to upgrade anymore. After reading this, I for one have my upgrade available in Jan 2013, I was all excited to get the Iphone 5 after Christmas, but knowing this information now, I for one am going to stay with my Iphone 4 (which is less than a year old) until it dies, or the Iphone 5S comes out. Learning this information really takes the "excitement" out of getting a new phone! I mean lets say the 5S comes out in March or April, even if I want a Iphone 5, I will prob. be able to get that phone for like $99.00 then! darn they really ruined my AFTER Christmas present to myself
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I can KIND of understand why Apple would maybe want to release the 5s early, but they need to watch out. Leaving this impression that the next generation is only 6 months ahead would likely cause more people to wait out their contracts and "hold-off" for the next big thing.

As for reasons that I could see Apple wanting to release a iPhone 5s: As the article says, production problems. This is likely due to the scratching issues on the Aluminum backs - they likely want to switch to another material that wont scratch as easily. I would think that this has slowed production times (due to the care it takes to assemble without scratching the case).

Additionally, with the 20% increase in cost that Samsung is charging for the chipsets, I would assume that Apple would want to integrate their own chipset (like the iPad 4) into the next iPhone to save cost. (Samsung hikes processor fabrication prices on Apple by 20% | iMore.com) The sooner the better, im sure.

Finally, I wouldnt be surprised to see a slightly larger iPhone 5s with NFC. Whether you like it or not, there are a decent number of people who were not impressed by the iPhone5' s 4" screen and would like to have something wider as well. Now that the aspect is at 16:9, this should be easy, with only a slight sacrifice in pixel density.

All of these items seem "reactive" instead of "proactive"; not very apple-esq. I am hoping they are just making up for a slump and will get back on track soon.

I hadn't jumped on the iP5 yet, and was waiting for a Christmas present to myself...my upgrade comes Dec 21st. Reading this, I'm not sure what to do now.
    iMore Guru

I, too, will skip the 5s
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,942 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I have a plenty of upgrades and could sell my 5 for more than i paid and make a profit from upgrading but it would have to be worth it to go to all the trouble of selling to buy
    Can't say for sure or not I would upgrade
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,942 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I also think apple needs to be able to meet demand of there current products (iPhone 5 ) still can't really walk into a carrier or apple and walk out with the model you want to buy
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts

Keep using my 4s got way to many equipment that I'm using right now to switch and the phone is still up to par with the latest smartphones without 4g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    22,945 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Jrome.brooks View Post
    Keep using my 4s got way to many equipment that I'm using right now to switch and the phone is still up to par with the latest smartphones without 4g

My 17 year old daughter told me that she was not interested in the iPhone 5 and wanted me to replace her iPhone 4 with a 4S. She doesn't care about the latest specs and stuff of that nature. I just shook my head and agreed to get her what she prefers.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    872 Global Posts

^^ smart girl

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am about 3 days into my switch to the 5 from 4S. Honestly, other than the increase is processing speed, I dont think its worth the $$ to switch. The slightly bigger screen is better BUT several apps (including iMore forums app) are still not using the full screen. The LTE is nice, but I dont download files on my phone so its not really a huge advantage to have it.

However, as of right now I am going to keep my iPhone 5 just because I feel I will be able to sell it for a decent price if/when a new iPhone 5s comes out, rather than try to sell a 16GB iPhone 4S when it will be 2 models old. I just sold my iPhone 4S 16GB for $375 so I feel I made a decent price on that.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts

iOS 7 (or new versions) and new iphone launches go together. Won't have one without the other. So think about how iOS announcements and beta periods work. I think a spring/early summer iphone launch makes a lot of sense to get it out of the fall lineup. The ipads are now where they should be.

I don't anticipate wanting to sell my iphone 5 over it.
    iMore Pro

iOS Version

Highly doubt it. They can't even catch up to the demand for the iP5, nearly two months after its release.
    - iPhone 6; Space Grey, 64GB
    - iPhone 5S; Space Grey, 16GB
    - iPad mini; White & Silver, 16GB
    - iPod Nano; Black & Slate, 16GB
    - iPod touch 4G; 8GB
    - MacBook Pro; 13" (custom, early 2012)

"You'll always be two steps behind me."

You'll shoot your eye out!
    MrszBerry likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Really doubt it will happen. We'll see it in September
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com &
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 6 64GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Of course we don't know for sure, but I expect nothing before June of 2013. Could be that we'll get back to June releases. Who knows, the iPad (4) kind of came early out of nowhere.
    Rob Terry

@RobT43 on the Twitter

Mid '14 retina MacBook Pro 13", 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD; 64GB iPhone 6 (Gray); Apple TV 2
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,360 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm skeptical this would ever happen unless it's more a Rev B mid cycle release like Apple has done with Macs in the past... The 5 does have its issues but I wouldn't expect a full redesign. It already has lightning and fast processor - unlike the iPad 3... which the iPad 4 resolved... But who knows... Maybe more of a "quiet" update like how the iPad 2 got the 32nm A5 processor...

If Apple releases stuff too randomly I think it might end up hurting them more than helping them...
    iPhone Nanite

I think they won't release iphone 5s in 6 months because ipad 4g was just a update, not a big change. If apple is going to release iphone 5s, not 6, they would rather release it on 2013 quarter 3 or 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast