iPhone 5s - They can't be serious, can they?

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5S - They can't be serious, can they?

So the Chinese are claiming that Apple will be releasing the iPhone 5s and iPad (5th gen) in the 1st half of next year! Apparently iPhone 5s test production is under way.

That's insane!

What will you do if Apple switches to a 6 month release cycle?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone 5S - They can't be serious, can they?

Way too early for that much hype... let’s wait and see what actually happens, shall we?

txladi29

Sep 8, 2009
Visit site

I like my 4. It works really well. No new adapters, cables, or cases required. Until the slow down with the product releases or my phone breaks, I'm good.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

At this rate, they'll put out more devices than Android...(smirk)...I'll believe it when I see it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

I saw that and consider me highly skeptical on it. They might be doing some early testing to make sure that the people in the factory know the assembly process or to get even more test time. Everyone is scared now because of the iPad 3 & iPad 4 but that is a little different in the fact that the iPad 3 didn't have a fully global LTE chip and it wasn't using the lightening connector. There is no reason to release the next model of iPhone other than to get their release cycle set. The iPhone moved from a summer to fall release. The iPad may move to fall also because of the new iPad. The mini is also a fall release too so they need something spaced out throughout the entire year. The can't release iPad 5 in spring people would revolt. So perhaps it's iPhone in the spring, something in the summer and then iPads(full size and Mini) in the fall.

Relletti

Trusted Member
Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

A couple articles I've been reading are saying they are starting the production in December. So they might just be starting to do the testing then production. Whatever it is when my contract is up I will be checking it out.

Tapatalking

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

no difference for me if Apple releases a 5S in six months, I'll skip it..

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

I read this also on CNet about a new Iphone 5S coming out in early 2013..To be honest I think that if they do these upgrades so quickly, people are not going to be so fast bothering to upgrade anymore. After reading this, I for one have my upgrade available in Jan 2013, I was all excited to get the Iphone 5 after Christmas, but knowing this information now, I for one am going to stay with my Iphone 4 (which is less than a year old) until it dies, or the Iphone 5S comes out. Learning this information really takes the "excitement" out of getting a new phone! I mean lets say the 5S comes out in March or April, even if I want a Iphone 5, I will prob. be able to get that phone for like $99.00 then! darn they really ruined my AFTER Christmas present to myself :(

richard_rsp

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

I can KIND of understand why Apple would maybe want to release the 5s early, but they need to watch out. Leaving this impression that the next generation is only 6 months ahead would likely cause more people to wait out their contracts and "hold-off" for the next big thing.

As for reasons that I could see Apple wanting to release a iPhone 5s: As the article says, production problems. This is likely due to the scratching issues on the Aluminum backs - they likely want to switch to another material that wont scratch as easily. I would think that this has slowed production times (due to the care it takes to assemble without scratching the case).

Additionally, with the 20% increase in cost that Samsung is charging for the chipsets, I would assume that Apple would want to integrate their own chipset (like the iPad 4) into the next iPhone to save cost. (Samsung hikes processor fabrication prices on Apple by 20% | iMore.com) The sooner the better, im sure.

Finally, I wouldnt be surprised to see a slightly larger iPhone 5s with NFC. Whether you like it or not, there are a decent number of people who were not impressed by the iPhone5' s 4" screen and would like to have something wider as well. Now that the aspect is at 16:9, this should be easy, with only a slight sacrifice in pixel density.

All of these items seem "reactive" instead of "proactive"; not very apple-esq. I am hoping they are just making up for a slump and will get back on track soon.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I hadn't jumped on the iP5 yet, and was waiting for a Christmas present to myself...my upgrade comes Dec 21st. Reading this, I'm not sure what to do now.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I have a plenty of upgrades and could sell my 5 for more than i paid and make a profit from upgrading but it would have to be worth it to go to all the trouble of selling to buy
Can't say for sure or not I would upgrade

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

I also think apple needs to be able to meet demand of there current products (iPhone 5 ) still can't really walk into a carrier or apple and walk out with the model you want to buy

Jrome.brooks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Keep using my 4s got way to many equipment that I'm using right now to switch and the phone is still up to par with the latest smartphones without 4g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Keep using my 4s got way to many equipment that I'm using right now to switch and the phone is still up to par with the latest smartphones without 4g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 17 year old daughter told me that she was not interested in the iPhone 5 and wanted me to replace her iPhone 4 with a 4S. She doesn't care about the latest specs and stuff of that nature. I just shook my head and agreed to get her what she prefers.

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I am about 3 days into my switch to the 5 from 4S. Honestly, other than the increase is processing speed, I dont think its worth the $$ to switch. The slightly bigger screen is better BUT several apps (including iMore forums app) are still not using the full screen. The LTE is nice, but I dont download files on my phone so its not really a huge advantage to have it.

However, as of right now I am going to keep my iPhone 5 just because I feel I will be able to sell it for a decent price if/when a new iPhone 5s comes out, rather than try to sell a 16GB iPhone 4S when it will be 2 models old. I just sold my iPhone 4S 16GB for $375 so I feel I made a decent price on that.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

iOS 7 (or new versions) and new iphone launches go together. Won't have one without the other. So think about how iOS announcements and beta periods work. I think a spring/early summer iphone launch makes a lot of sense to get it out of the fall lineup. The ipads are now where they should be.

I don't anticipate wanting to sell my iphone 5 over it.

Exxod

May 15, 2012
Visit site

Highly doubt it. They can't even catch up to the demand for the iP5, nearly two months after its release.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen