Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Default Blocking inappropriate web content

Hello,

I just bought my 12 year old daughter the IPhone 5 and I was reviewing the restriction options in the settings screen and could not find how I can block the inappropriate sites from being viewed. You fine folks know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks....

"wow! Wasn't expecting the parenting uncalled comments that this thread received. But I am thankful for those who tried to assist me with protecting my children from inadvertently accessing sites that as a parent is try and protect my children from"
    Last edited by thelink74; 11-12-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Shocked by some of the comments
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by thelink74 View Post
    Hello,

I just bought my 12 year old daughter the IPhone 5 and I was reviewing the restriction options in the settings screen and could not find how I can block the inappropriate sites from being viewed. You fine folks know how I can accomplish this?

Thanks....
    Explain why would you buy an 12 year old an iPhone. Like really I would never do that if I had kids. I would give them a slide phone something basic so they can text and talk. But an iPhone is way to much for a child.

Sent from my iP5 using Tapatalk
    If I helped you - Please hit that little +REP button
    It looks like an old-school scale next to the report button

> Blackberry Z10 - White - Verizon Wireless - Current <

>iPhone 5S - Gold - 64GB - Sprint - Next Device<
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Sure you can take the Internet enabled phone back to where you bought it. Otherwise have a look at settings, restrictions, allowed context.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Default Re: Blocking inappropriate web content

The Internet is a great resource for children, offering a wealth of information and experiences. However, it can also expose children to information that might not be appropriate for them.

Content Advisor allows you to control the types of Internet content that can be viewed on your computer. Depending on how you configure it, Content Advisor uses ratings that websites voluntarily provide to block or allow certain content. Because not all websites are rated, unrated websites are automatically blocked (but you can choose to allow them). Once you've adjusted the settings and turn Content Advisor on, it checks websites as you visit them.

To use Content Advisor, you first need to set the supervisor password, and then you can specify the filters and rules you want applied to your children's web use. To change settings, you'll need to log in with the supervisor password before you can make changes. The following procedures describe how to set your supervisor password, and how to make specific changes to control Internet use.
    Make sure you check out my >>Mobile App Development Blog<<
    Thanked by:
    robertk328 (11-12-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Pink iPhone4S View Post
    Explain why would you buy an 12 year old an iPhone. Like really I would never do that if I had kids. I would give them a slide phone something basic so they can text and talk. But an iPhone is way to much for a child.

1) Explain why you are qualified to comment on the decision to buy their child an iPhone as you do not have children, therefore have no experience.
    2) the OP is looking for suggestions on Internet restriction, so your post has no meaningful input.
    finn5975 and bahandi like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts

Now that's questioning their parenting ways. That's not for anyone to judge. If you don't agree why even comment in such manner?
    finn5975 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by evorc View Post
    Now that's questioning their parenting ways. That's not for anyone to judge. If you don't agree why even comment in such manner?
    Who said anything about judging that's nonsense

Global Posts
    6,642 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

As far as I know you can turn off access to Safari completely, but there are no parental restrictions for content Safari displays.

However there are a few third-party browsers that have parental restrictions. So you could completely disable Safari and install one of those browsers. Unfortunately I don't know the names of those apps.

And don't listen to people saying an iPhone is inappropriate for a 12 year old. My oldest has had a laptop since she was 7, now has an iPod Touch and will be getting an iPad mini for Christmas. She's nine. My 5 year old will also be getting an iPad mini. I see no problems getting technology for kids. The way for them to be fluent in it is to get them using it young-with appropriate supervision and restrictions.
    zeteo likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerome g View Post
    1) Explain why you are qualified to comment on the decision to buy their child an iPhone as you do not have children, therefore have no experience.
    I would like an answer to this too.

Pink, you judged this person when you heard s/he bought the daughter an iPhone 5.
    Why should you think you know best for this family?
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    670 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

Quote Originally Posted by kevin smith 619 View Post
    Content Advisor allows you to control the types of Internet content that can be viewed on your computer. Depending on how you configure it, Content Advisor uses ratings that websites voluntarily provide to block or allow certain content. Because not all websites are rated, unrated websites are automatically blocked (but you can choose to allow them). Once you've adjusted the settings and turn Content Advisor on, it checks websites as you visit them.

To use Content Advisor, you first need to set the supervisor password, and then you can specify the filters and rules you want applied to your children's web use. To change settings, you'll need to log in with the supervisor password before you can make changes. The following procedures describe how to set your supervisor password, and how to make specific changes to control Internet use.
    Can't find this application! Can you post a link? My search in the App Store comes up with no results. I'm in Canada.

Global Posts
    11,764 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Fausty82 (11-12-2012)
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Wow. Just wow.

Thanks to Keith for answering the question. Way too many judgemental people around here today.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    6,642 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
    Can't find this application! Can you post a link? My search in the App Store comes up with no results. I'm in Canada.
    As far as I know, Content Advisor is not an iOS app. There are Parental Restrictions under the Settings -> General but that's it on an iOS device.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

While you can't ever actually block content you can monitor it.
    There is a third party browser called covenant eyes.
    However there is a monthly fee for the service. It depends on how important this actually is for you. I think the device is >$15 a month. You would need to use settings to disable safari and others (maybe you tube also) and also you would have to set parental restrictions so that the child is not installing non age appropriate applications.
    On the home front, you can also install covenant eyes on your home computers. If your paying for the service you might as well use it to its full ability.
    If you have a wireless router you can also restrict web pages, access times and other settings.

But main question, iPhone only based, disable safari (and anything else you consider inappropriate) set an appropriate parental control rating for installing applications.
    That's the only way you can restrict the web. Restriction by removal!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    As far as I know you can turn off access to Safari completely, but there are no parental restrictions for content Safari displays.

However there are a few third-party browsers that have parental restrictions. So you could completely disable Safari and install one of those browsers. Unfortunately I don't know the names of those apps.

And don't listen to people saying an iPhone is inappropriate for a 12 year old. My oldest has had a laptop since she was 7, now has an iPod Touch and will be getting an iPad mini for Christmas. She's nine. My 5 year old will also be getting an iPad mini. I see no problems getting technology for kids. The way for them to be fluent in it is to get them using it young-with appropriate supervision and restrictions.
    I feel bad for you. I'm so shocked of you. Young kids between that age does not know anything about cellphones and laptops. You are unbelievable.

iMore Elite

iOS Version

I feel bad for you. I'm so shocked of you. Young kids between that age does not know anything about cellphones and laptops. You are unbelievable.

Pink! Shut your stupid ignorant pie hole!

You have no right to talk to anybody about what they do or do not allow for their children.
    finn5975 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    Pink! Shut your stupid ignorant pie hole!

You have no right to talk to anybody about what they do or do not allow for their children.
    Hey man you need to chill out. Like I said before young kids don't know anything about electronics...

Global Posts
    11,764 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The unbelievable one here is Y O U.

I've seen some very bright young 'uns. Ones that know more about computers and tech and how to use them than lots of adults I know. I'll cordially invite you to go play in traffic now and refrain from advice. You're ill equipped to provide any that's worthwhile.
    Thanked by:
    Karenkcoulter (11-13-2012)
    finn5975 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    The unbelievable one here is Y O U.

I've seen some very bright young 'uns. Ones that know more about computers and tech and how to use them than lots of adults I know. I'll cordially invite you to go play in traffic now and refrain from advice. You're ill equipped to provide any that's worthwhile.
    Oh hush. I had an cellphone when I was 16. Not 5, 6, 7, so forth.

Global Posts
    11,764 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hey man you need to chill out.
    physician, heal thyself

- - - Updated - - -

Oh hush.
    again, physician, heal thyself.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    physician, heal thyself

- - - Updated - - -

again, physician, heal thyself.
    Don't need it.

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Not sure the OP need to explain anything to you about anything. Itís his cash and his kid.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Not sure the OP need to explain anything to you about anything. Itís his cash and his kid.
    That's y'all loss not mine. If a daughter of mine asked me if she wanted a cellphone in the age of 15 I would decline with the answer no.

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

That's y'all loss not mine. If a daughter of mine asked me if she wanted a cellphone in the age of 15 I would decline with the answer no.

And IF you had a kid, you could raise it however you saw fit... but since you don’t, I guess you've got no standing in this discussion.
    kch50428 and tuffy100 like this.
    iMore Expert

iOS Version
    iOS 6

I bought my little 8 year old brother an iPhone 4 he loves it and he uses it for many school and entertaining purposes. As long as you can afford it and your child enjoys it ignore what everybody else says as far as the "inappropriate" I would simply suggest your child knows what he or she will be getting into looking at those inappropriate sites. The way I see it, scare them. Tell them the government tracks there every web move and if they are under 18 and looking at inappropriate things they will go to jail lol. Works on my brother but yeah he's only 8 though.
    zeteo likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast