Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Question Screen protector or not ?

Hi guys, I want to have your advice on using or not a screen protector on the iPhone 5.

I used to have a Zagg on my previous phone, iPhone 4. I used it more to get rid of the smuddges on the screen than to protect it. Do you really think it's protecting the screen from scratches and dents or is it more to get rid of our greasy fingerprints ?

For my part I use that as a plus value when come the time to sell the phone. I always take good care of my devices. I also use the Otterbox Commuter on both devices. But on the 5, I just love the resolution that screen, so I don't want to lose some with a screen protector if it's not worth it.

Thanks for your advices.
    iPhone 5 16 Gb Black
    iPad 3 16 Gb Black
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,206 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Screen protector or not ?

Most screen protectors will cause for easier smudging except anti glare but anti glare does take away from the quality of the retina screen. I screen protect my i5 just due to it sometimes going in my pocket. I don't screen protect my iPads due to less likely of me scratching it. It's really your call.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I agree with you. As to when I put my iPhone in my pockets, I pay attention not to put it with my keys or spare change.

But the main question is: As anyone scratched is iPhone so badly beacause he didn't have a screen protector ?
    iPhone 5 16 Gb Black
    iPad 3 16 Gb Black
    iPhone Nanite

Cool Re: Screen protector or not ?

You should use a screen protector. You sir are holding a device that currently sells online for 800. Zagg protectors can keep your screen from not just scratches, it can stop it from CRACKING when you drop it. I use the otterbox commuter as well. The back of the phone is also aluminum so it can get really messed up too.
    iMore Newbie

Default Screen protector or not ?

ive always found that screen protectors make the touchscreen less responsive and that the protector comes off after a while
    please check out my blog, I have a huge apple mac tips section that gets updated constantly
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

I have never ever noticed a screen protector causing the screen to be less sensitive. If so your using ones that are too thick. If your screen protector comes off after awhile then it's time for a new one. That's why they come in packs. Yes you absolutely need a screen protector. Just like the guy before said. "your device sales for $800 on ebay."

Not to be rude but why do we even have these topics. You should always use protection just u just don't care. That's just plain dumb. I pay good money for my devices and treat them with care but I'm not overly obsessed. I do it to save me money and of the time ever comes I can sale it for a good price and the next owner can enjoy it just as much as I did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I would do so on a phone, especially if you are carrying it in a pocket or may be handing it a lot and wiping it off. I prefer the ones by Moshi or i-Blason that can be removed and reused if needed. virtually bubble free, the middle screen part doesn't actually adhere to the screen, it almost floats above it as the black or white area is where the screen protector sticks to phone with. Easy to install with no bubble and minimal time and does not alter screen clarity much at all.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,567 Global Posts

The screen WILL get scratches over time. Use protection
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Yes.
    robert
    iPhone 6 64GB White/Silver (VZW)
    iPhone 5 32GB Black/Slate (VZW)
    iPhone 4 16GB (AT&T)
    iPhone 8GB (AT&T)
    iPad Mini 32GB (WiFi)
    iPad 2 3G 32GB (AT&T)
    Quickly sync files between your desktop and iPhone with DropBox
    Keep passwords secure with Lastpass
    Follow me on twitter | Follow me on instagram
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version
    iOs 6.0.1

My iPhone 4 had so much scratches in fact I was using it very carefully all the time. After a while, it's not in your control anymore. You can not focus on protecting your screen every second. Let your screen protector do it instead of you.

First I had Belkin but I was not comfortable with it too much. It made me feel that there is something strange on the screen when I touch the device. Than for my iPhone 4S and later on my iPhone 5, I'm now having a screen protector from Ozaki. It's very thin and strong. No glare or finger print. I can recomment it %100. OK. Installation is not easy as Zagg but if you can have a perfect installation, I think it's one of the best protector I've seen till now.
    - C.G -  iPad Mini - 32 GB  iPhone 5 - 32GB  Retina MacBook Pro. 15'' - 2,3 Ghz. Quad-Core i7 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD - Mid 2012
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    1,980 Global Posts

I agree with everyone. I use one because I put my phone in my pocket and want to prevent the minor scratches.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

On my first iPhone 5 I had a Zagg HD. I got a new phone because of a dead pixel, so I ordered in a new Zagg. That one I put my new Zagg on wrong and it wasn't responsive easily to buttons, so I had to take it off and order another replacement. I haven't got it in yet but my iPhone has a light leaking so they might repair it so I better wait.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,179 Global Posts

I'd recommend getting a LifeProof case. It has a built in screen protector & will protect your phone if you drop it, get it wet, etc.

I have one on my iPhone 4, & I always recommend it to anyone with an iPhone.
    Don't you just love Smartphone/Tablet email signatures?...

-- Sent from my Nexus S Prime 3D 4G S Running Android Ice Cream Sundae with Terminator/T1000 GPS tracking on...The Now Network - Powered by SkyNet!
    iPhone Nanite

I also believe that screen protector is the best way to protect your screen from any scratches.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I do not like cases with built in screen protectors as they tend to reduce clarity and reduce touch screen sensitivity. I prefer either PowerSupport or Zagg Invisible Shield HD screen protectors. I went with the Zagg Invisible Shield HD on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini both look great and neither reduced clarity or sensitivity.

DAB, sent with Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 5 32GB White / iPad Mini 32GB White
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Love my zagg HD. Smudges are a pain. But other then that. It's great! Once it comes time to sell my iphone 5. She'll be clean and scratch free.

Otter box commuter and zagg ftw
    iPhone Newbie

I'm using glas.tr by spigen and by far the best investment I've ever made for the iPhone. No smudges as it has oleo phobic coating and actually feels better than the screen it self. No air bubbles to worry about and no scratches on the phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts

Moshi iVisors are great feeling and guaranteed bubble free screen protectors. They have an XT version that is clear and an AG version that is anti-glare. I like the anti-glare version myself.
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...DSC0257222.jpg
    My first pride and joy: 2008 Mazda3 S Touring
    Second: iPhone!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I recently put my iP5 in a Lifeproof case without removing the Zagg screen protector and it still responds just fine...
    "People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks...- Brick Tamland"
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts

I typically don't use screen protectors. They're bothersome to install, and more chances than not my screen with NOT be scratched. I'm very cautious about where I put my phone -- no keys allowed in pocket containing phone, not setting it down screen first, very careful about not dropping. Hopefully there's never a time I'll need one.

Just my $0.02
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I didn't have a screen protector on my 4 and never had any issues with scratches. Then again, I didn't put it in the same pocket as keys or any sharp objects. It had a designated pocket in my purse. I have the 5 now and I'm babying it. It's my new toy so I have it in an otterbox defender.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,942 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I use a cheaply one on my phone just because it gos in and out of pocket etc but other device like iPad 4 I don't use one and never had a issue

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Global Posts
    3,641 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I am currently running completely naked with my device, purchased that AppleCare + and want to enjoy my phone the way that it was designed. Considering that the lifecycle is just a year I can't see myself needing more than 2 replacements in the event something happens. The phone just feels amazing to hold in my hand, even the thinnest case takes away from its elegance. Prior I always wanted to keep my phones mint and a little scratch or ding would drive me nuts, I have since convinced myself that battle marks just make the phone that much more mine. Heck, my macbook pro has a little ding from a drop and it kind of gave it character.