Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BLiNK
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default A month later.... is it worth the $$ to get the iPhone 5 if you have a 4S?

Just wanted some quick opinions from you guys as far as if you think its worth the extra $$ to sell my iPhone 4S and get the iPhone 5?

Im going to end up spending about $400 after I sell my iPhone 4S, to get the 5.

Worth it?

Just looking for some honest feedback.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: A month later.... is it worth the $$ to get the iPhone 5 if you have a 4S?

Yup.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: A month later.... is it worth the $$ to get the iPhone 5 if you have a 4S?

I actually am doing the same thing. I got my iPhone 5 yesterday, and have put my 4S on craigslist to hopefully sell before my next bill is due to pay for the 5. I've only had the iPhone 5 for a day, and I was a little skeptical in regards to whether it was worth it or not. After a day, I love it. Screen size is great, the colors look so much more vibrant, the processor is so much faster, it is really smooth when switching between apps or snapping a quick photo. I'm glad I made the jump from 4S to the 5. I recommend it.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default A month later.... is it worth the $$ to get the iPhone 5 if you have a 4S?

If your content with the 4S and aren't sure then stick with what you got. The 5 has a much better screen, battery life management, wifi, cellular and speed. If you're lacking in any of these areas then upgrade.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

If you have at&t, they will unlock your 4S after you upgrade to the 5. That will help with resale value. I sold my sister's iPhone 4 16GB unlocked for $280 on craigslist. Could have gotten $300 perhaps on eBay, but after fees and shipping, that would have came down to $270.

Reason I bring this up is this may help with your decision since it can offset the iPhone 5 cost a little bit more.
    0pusX, I see that you are on Verizon so this won't help. But you could get an unlock code from eBay.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by trmoney24 View Post
    If you have at&t, they will unlock your 4S after you upgrade to the 5. That will help with resale value. I sold my sister's iPhone 4 16GB unlocked for $280 on craigslist. Could have gotten $300 perhaps on eBay, but after fees and shipping, that would have came down to $270.

Reason I bring this up is this may help with your decision since it can offset the iPhone 5 cost a little bit more.
    0pusX, I see that you are on Verizon so this won't help. But you could get an unlock code from eBay.
    This is only true if your phone is not still under contract...
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Expert

Absolutamente !!!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,563 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

might as well - YOLO
    SeanHRCC likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    might as well - YOLO
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    423 Global Posts

SeanHRCC, thanks for bringing that up, forgot to mention that! but if you upgrade to the iPhone 5, they will unlock your old 4 or 4S since its not in use or contract anymore.
    iMore Beginner

YES. Thinner, lighter, faster. Just a bit disappointed that the anodized aluminum can scratch easily.
    This is the first iPhone since the 3G that I have used a protective case. I have just used a back
    protection since the iPhone 4.
    iPhone 5S, iPad Air, iMAC, Old Dell PC
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,160 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Yes.screen is bigger,processor faster,camera better and best of all its beautiful.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

Ok here goes:
    -Bigger screen which is amazing
    -LTE
    -if you are grandfathered on AT&T 's unlimited data, you get 5gb before throttling now. With the 4S, it is 3G so they throttle it at 3gb. This is HUGE for me and the lone reason I had to upgrade. All of the rest is just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gvndeb60 View Post
    Ok here goes:
    -Bigger screen which is amazing
    -LTE
    -if you are grandfathered on AT&T 's unlimited data, you get 5gb before throttling now. With the 4S, it is 3G so they throttle it at 3gb. This is HUGE for me and the lone reason I had to upgrade. All of the rest is just a bonus.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk
    I was told by AT&T when I ordered my iPhone 5 that they throttle after 3GB.
    Is this true about throttling after 5GB with LTE?

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Espo View Post
    I was told by AT&T when I ordered my iPhone 5 that they throttle after 3GB.
    Is this true about throttling after 5GB with LTE?
    That's what they say. But that 5GB throttle limit isn't just for any use of the iPhone 5. You have to be on an LTE network. If you have an iPhone 5 and are using a 3G network then you still have the 3GB limit. I'm not sure how they figure out the throttling limits when you use some if both networks.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    887 Global Posts

I am in an area that does not have any LTE. I do not get throttled at 3gb anymore. The local store reps say it is5gb before throttling but I have hit more than four yet.

Sent from my iPhone 5
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version
    iOS 6

Yes, it would be worth.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I am currently waiting the shipment of my ip5 but I am going from a 4s to a 5 for a couple reasons. LTE, better battery life, faster all around and a slightly larger screen.

What I'm not looking forward to is changing all my accessories (chargers in my cars, office, around my house, sound docks and cases) other than that its defiantly a good and beneficial upgrade.

By the way even if your not eligible for an upgrade, call customer service and just ask nicely for one, keep calling back if they say no they can't. I got a really nice guy on the phone with AT&T and he hooked me up (after talking with a supervisor). Waived my upgrade fee also. It took me 3 days and about 5 calls until I got the $199-299-399 upgrade prices and I wasn't eligible until May 2013.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    10,657 Global Posts

Wait to next year for the iPhone 5s it will be worth it
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

No. The 5's display looks way too saturated IMO. It also doesn't take any better quality pictures, is only slightly faster, I hate the bigger screen, the lightening connector is hell for all the 30 pin accessories and I personally like the all glass more than the aluminum Plus there isn't anything the 5 can do that the 4S can't.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    3,119 Global Posts

Yes, I could never go back to the 4S now.
    iPhone Nanite

4s is for bustas
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Glass of OJ View Post
    Plus there isn't anything the 5 can do that the 4S can't.
    I was under the impression (though I haven't tried) that the 5 can't take still pics from a video where as the 4s cannot.