SMS Delivery Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbassil

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I would like to know about any workaround or solution for the SMS Delivery Report feature which does not exist in iOS6 or any other previous iOS. I wonder why this feature, which is used by most of the people and available in any other phone, is not yet integrated in the iOS? :confused:

I appreciate your cooperation.

Many Thanks,
Regards.

anjali_jain

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Agree with you. One thing that iPhone is really lacking is certainly the inability to see whether the SMS message was actually delivered. While this works with iMessages it is not implemented with ordinary text messages (SMS). It would be absolutely great if Apple would incorporate this into its new IOS 6. After all, almost every other phone on the planet supports this feature, so it would be really important to make this feature available in iPhone'0s IOS 6. Please, engineers, forward this to the IOS 6 development team.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You get them with iMessage. Other than that, it comes down to the fact that Apple never wanted to support the GSM standard...which is where this kind of feature was prominent. There are some prefix codes you can use to get a delivery report depending on what carrier you use, but you'd need to google what they are since they vary from carrier to carrier (and some don't offer the function at all).

The bottom line is, outside of iMessage, you will probably never have a delivered report on the iPhone (as a native function that is, it can be achieved through jailbreaking).

If it's just destroying your will to live though, let 'em know! Apple - iPhone - Feedback

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've always been glad this "feature" didn't exist on the iPhone, and I have it disabled in iMessage. There are too many people whom I don't want to know that I've read their message so they won't continue messaging looking for a response.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've always been glad this "feature" didn't exist on the iPhone, and I have it disabled in iMessage. There are too many people whom I don't want to know that I've read their message so they won't continue messaging looking for a response.

Amen to that...:D

lbassil

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello Alli,

You are right in what you said, but you are talking about iMessage. The Read Receipts in iMessage is what you meant and which might be bothering you. What i meant is totally different. It is not a Read Receipt, it is a Delivery Report. Which means, when you send an SMS to someone, you get a notification that the SMS was "Delivered". It does not have to do with a notification when you read a certain SMS or so.

Thanks.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm probably one the only people I know out of my friends who keeps the iMessage read receipt on. I read a message and reply, simple as that. Ignoring people takes too much work and is rather tell someone I'm busy or whatever than sneak around them. I wished they would have removed the toggle for read receipts from iMessage because if I'm giving you the courtesy of reading your messages then I deserve the same. No one should have to ask "have you read my message?" on iMessage. Man up people!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello Alli,

You are right in what you said, but you are talking about iMessage. The Read Receipts in iMessage is what you meant and which might be bothering you. What i meant is totally different. It is not a Read Receipt, it is a Delivery Report. Which means, when you send an SMS to someone, you get a notification that the SMS was "Delivered". It does not have to do with a notification when you read a certain SMS or so.

Thanks.

iMessage reports a message as being delivered AND read...so essentially it is the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm probably one the only people I know out of my friends who keeps the iMessage read receipt on. I read a message and reply, simple as that. Ignoring people takes too much work and is rather tell someone I'm busy or whatever than sneak around them. I wished they would have removed the toggle for read receipts from iMessage because if I'm giving you the courtesy of reading your messages then I deserve the same. No one should have to ask "have you read my message?" on iMessage. Man up people!

No one should have to ask that? Why does one feel the NEED to ask that? Send a message and wait for a response...if it's so important that you're whole life revolves around whether or not the other person read the message, make a frickin' phone call.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site

I also leave the iMessage receipt option turn on. Honestly though, it's not a big deal for me either way whether other people do the same. If I send it, I assume they will read it, eventually. I will say however, it is very convenient to "know" it's been read.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
No one should have to ask that? Why does one feel the NEED to ask that? Send a message and wait for a response...if it's so important that you're whole life revolves around whether or not the other person read the message, make a frickin' phone call.

No need to be hostile. It's a simple principle of "treat people how you would like to be treated." Yes it's just an SMS or an iMessage, but if you don't want to be ignored then don't do it to others. That's how I think of it and I don't lose sleep over it. Didn't say my life revolves around it, SMS is suppose to make communications easier and more convenient than a phone call. I can't call people when they are at work so I send them a text. If I have a project and in trying to see whether my team is on track I'd rather know that they read the message instead that they got the message. iMessage has been known to send fake delivered reports soo I don't take it serious all the time. It just saves time for everyone to have it kept on.

stoneland

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I used to be a BlackBerry user and lived on BBM...so I value read receipts. It would be nice if the iPhone had the SMS feature that the OP mentions. But most of the important people I message are on iPhones anyway, so to me it's not a big deal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
No need to be hostile. It's a simple principle of "treat people how you would like to be treated." Yes it's just an SMS or an iMessage, but if you don't want to be ignored then don't do it to others. That's how I think of it and I don't lose sleep over it. Didn't say my life revolves around it, SMS is suppose to make communications easier and more convenient than a phone call. I can't call people when they are at work so I send them a text. If I have a project and in trying to see whether my team is on track I'd rather know that they read the message instead that they got the message. iMessage has been known to send fake delivered reports soo I don't take it serious all the time. It just saves time for everyone to have it kept on.

No one was being hostile...lol (some of you guys really have this weird idea of what hostility is, but i digress), i just think it's funny that some people sit around waiting for text responses or read receipts. If the convo is that important, make a phone call. If you have a project and the completion is important enough for you to be tracking your team, I'd think a phone call would be a better outlet, but maybe I'm old school. The need or reliance for read receipts is just humorous to me is all but to each their own i suppose. I just envision the overly attached girlfriend meme when i think of it.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Its better to have a written transcript of anything because things that are said over the phone can be easily misinterpreted or forgotten. If you have a message to go back on that you KNOW people will read (lets face it, many people don't check their emails) then it makes life easier for everyone. We both clearly have different opinions about that and that's fine, I agree with you but having read receipts should be specific to contacts (being able to decide which contacts receive a read receipt and which ones don't, at least for iMessage). The problem with iOS is that for too long it has tried to be the "mainstream" phone and neglected features that some users want. To truly make software mainstream you need to be able to offer options that some will use and give users the option to disable unwanted features.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Its better to have a written transcript of anything because things that are said over the phone can be easily misinterpreted or forgotten. If you have a message to go back on that you KNOW people will read (lets face it, many people don't check their emails) then it makes life easier for everyone. We both clearly have different opinions about that and that's fine, I agree with you but having read receipts should be specific to contacts (being able to decide which contacts receive a read receipt and which ones don't, at least for iMessage). The problem with iOS is that for too long it has tried to be the "mainstream" phone and neglected features that some users want. To truly make software mainstream you need to be able to offer options that some will use and give users the option to disable unwanted features.

As much as you'd like to think it's a mainstream demand, I'm guessing it's still quite niche in the scheme of things.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
As much as you'd like to think it's a mainstream demand, I'm guessing it's still quite niche in the scheme of things.

I don't think it's a niche feature. Pretty much every major SMS replacement using data has this feature, and I suspect it's now a "must have" feature for those kinds of apps.. One of the biggest selling points of Blackberry was and still is BBM, and a major reason for its popularity was and still is that it offers received and read confirmations. In Blackberry's biggest markets now, people buy them just for BBM and frequently get BBM only plans. Confirmations are not a big deal for everyone, but there is a significant number of people for whom it is a very desired feature. I have unlimited SMS, but I prefer to use iMessage because of the confirmations. It's not a huge deal, but's nice to have.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's a niche feature. Pretty much every major SMS replacement using data has this feature, and I suspect it's now a "must have" feature for those kinds of apps.. One of the biggest selling points of Blackberry was and still is BBM, and a major reason for its popularity was and still is that it offers received and read confirmations. In Blackberry's biggest markets now, people buy them just for BBM and frequently get BBM only plans. Confirmations are not a big deal for everyone, but there is a significant number of people for whom it is a very desired feature. I have unlimited SMS, but I prefer to use iMessage because of the confirmations. It's not a huge deal, but's nice to have.

Blackberry as a whole is a niche company now in comparison with the top dogs on the market now...and this feature, when looking at the whole of consumers that use SMS, is certainly a niche. I'd hazard to guess there are more people who want native emoticons than this feature.

Roo Zilla

Dec 17, 2008
Visit site
Blackberry as a whole is a niche company now in comparison with the top dogs on the market now...and this feature, when looking at the whole of consumers that use SMS, is certainly a niche. I'd hazard to guess there are more people who want native emoticons than this feature.

Blackberry may be a niche corp/gov tool now, but not long ago, it was a leading smartphone vendor even as recently as 3 years ago. In multiple emerging markets such as India, Indonesia, South Africa, et al,, it is far more popular than iPhone even now. In those places, it's a consumer device for the masses, and the single most important feature for them is BBM, and one of the reasons is the received/read receipts. As for whether read receipts are less important than native emoticons... It's easy to see which feature Apple considered to be more important/desirable to the consumer. Receipts may not be an important feature for many, and some may not even want it at all, but for a large segment of users, it's not only a wanted feature, but a very important one. Personally, I can take it or leave it, but I can understand how it can be significant for some.

lbassil

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I believe Roo Zilla is right. Add to this, SeanHRCC, you do not have to be offensive or sarcastic. Regardless how much the feature is important to you (i.e. SMS Delivery Report, native emoticons, etc...), Apple should provide it to the users and each one is free to decide whether to use it or not! For such features, people are waiting for the Jailbreak to be out in order to be able to customize their phones the way they like and most of them install other Messages applications because the built in one is still very basic, let alone the Delivery Report.

You cannot add it to iMessage and not to the normal SMS Messages; it is like: ok, everybody should be holding an iPhone!

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711