Facetime over LTE

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well this has been talked to death here but I just got my new iPhone replaced last Saturday and today I accidentally stumbled over the facetime over cellular feature and it was turned on?! I double checked my data plan and I'm still on the unlimited plan yet I talked today through facetime to my wife for a whole 1/2 hour while driving home.

I facetimed a friend and he couldn't replicate this with his unlimited plan. As I got home I tried to setup my wife's phone and it wouldn't work either. Is this just a glitch in my phone? I like it, I just can't replicate it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you cannot initiate a FaceTime chat over cellular with your wife's phone and neither can your friend? If so, all they need is iOS 6 or later installed on their iPhones as well as have it configured and enabled.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you cannot initiate a FaceTime chat over cellular with your wife's phone and neither can your friend? If so, all they need is iOS 6 or later installed on their iPhones as well as have it configured and enabled.

Not on att if you have unlimited FaceTime over cellular is disabled .. ( normally )

You have to have a tiered data plan for it to work over cellular

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not on att if you have unlimited FaceTime over cellular is disabled .. ( normally )

You have to have a tiered data plan for it to work over cellular
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought AT&T ironed that dilemma out. Thanks, Peligro911. I appreciate it...:)

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Nope, just to make this clear... I have currently FaceTime over LTE with my unlimited plan on AT&T.

I just stumbled on it by accident and it works. I'm trying to replicate it but can't make my wife's iPhone 4S do the same.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
To the original poster, are you on Verizon or att or?? Facetime over cellular works just fine on Verizon 4S and Five on 6.0 or higher. On att you must have the mobile share plan or be on WiFi.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To the original poster, are you on Verizon or att or?? Facetime over cellular works just fine on Verizon 4S and Five on 6.0 or higher. On att you must have the mobile share plan or be on WiFi.

He has AT&T, but like you, I'm on Verizon and it works flawlessly. However, my daughter is still on an AT&T unlimited plan and FaceTime works for her via cellular like it does for the OP.

Last edited:

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Huh, I have a few friends on att and theirs won't work over cellular. At least it used to be that way... When I had my iPhone 5 it worked great. But i sold it and am back on android. I do have my iPhone 4 but it is jailbroken and on 5.1.1 so it doesn't do facetime over cellular anyway.

If att users can now do it without being on the mobile share plan, then that is great news!!!!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I have a few friends on att and theirs won't work over cellular. At least it used to be that way... When I had my iPhone 5 it worked great. But i sold it and am back on android. I do have my iPhone 4 but it is jailbroken and on 5.1.1 so it doesn't do facetime over cellular anyway.

If att users can now do it without being on the mobile share plan, then that is great news!!!!

Just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke, I told my daughter to notify me via FaceTime on her next break, but she was unable to do so. My attempts to FaceTime her was also unsuccessful. Why would it work via cellular on a couple of occasions via AT&T, but not now?

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I just used mine with my wife to test...worked fine on AT&T and we do not use a shared data plan.

Wait a day or so and try again. Maybe att recognizes the use and then blocks it? Just grasping there....

MANdroidd

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm i remember hearing about this issue. Just tested now with i5 on at&t with my friend who has a i5 as well on at&t and it worked fine. both of us are on grandfathered unlimited and not sharing.

dale225

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess I got caught. I face timed several times yesterday and today and suddenly it doesn't work anymore. I guess it was a fluke. Damned.

I went ahead and downloaded Tango. Works great, Tangoed with my wifes iPhone, my sons iPod and even the iPad. Apple obviously doesn't want Facetime to become mainstream. There are many other solutions.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Facetime over cellular won't work for me on AT&T on my 4S or my iPad 3.
It's required me to be on a tiered plan ever since iOS 6 beta 2.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I guess I got caught. I face timed several times yesterday and today and suddenly it doesn't work anymore. I guess it was a fluke. Damned.

I went ahead and downloaded Tango. Works great, Tangoed with my wifes iPhone, my sons iPod and even the iPad. Apple obviously doesn't want Facetime to become mainstream. There are many other solutions.

I wouldn't say Apple doesn't want it going main stream, I'd say that mobile carriers are scared of it going main stream.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I tested this today and the FaceTime window comes up, but the call does not connect.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

Not apple it's Att my Verizon iPhone 5 can FaceTime all day long on my unlimited LTE

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711