Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Default Facetime over LTE

Well this has been talked to death here but I just got my new iPhone replaced last Saturday and today I accidentally stumbled over the facetime over cellular feature and it was turned on?! I double checked my data plan and I'm still on the unlimited plan yet I talked today through facetime to my wife for a whole 1/2 hour while driving home.

I facetimed a friend and he couldn't replicate this with his unlimited plan. As I got home I tried to setup my wife's phone and it wouldn't work either. Is this just a glitch in my phone? I like it, I just can't replicate it.

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Facetime over LTE

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you cannot initiate a FaceTime chat over cellular with your wife's phone and neither can your friend? If so, all they need is iOS 6 or later installed on their iPhones as well as have it configured and enabled.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that you cannot initiate a FaceTime chat over cellular with your wife's phone and neither can your friend? If so, all they need is iOS 6 or later installed on their iPhones as well as have it configured and enabled.
    Not on att if you have unlimited FaceTime over cellular is disabled .. ( normally )

You have to have a tiered data plan for it to work over cellular
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (11-06-2012)

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Not on att if you have unlimited FaceTime over cellular is disabled .. ( normally )

You have to have a tiered data plan for it to work over cellular
    Oh, I didn't know that. I thought AT&T ironed that dilemma out. Thanks, Peligro911. I appreciate it...
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Nope, just to make this clear... I have currently FaceTime over LTE with my unlimited plan on AT&T.

I just stumbled on it by accident and it works. I'm trying to replicate it but can't make my wife's iPhone 4S do the same.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Oh, I didn't know that. I thought AT&T ironed that dilemma out. Thanks, Peligro911. I appreciate it...
    They did. AT&T said "no". The FCC then said "ok". And the AT&T customers said "Thank you sir, may I have another".
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (11-06-2012)
    dale225 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,917 Global Posts

To the original poster, are you on Verizon or att or?? Facetime over cellular works just fine on Verizon 4S and Five on 6.0 or higher. On att you must have the mobile share plan or be on WiFi.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    To the original poster, are you on Verizon or att or?? Facetime over cellular works just fine on Verizon 4S and Five on 6.0 or higher. On att you must have the mobile share plan or be on WiFi.

He has AT&T, but like you, I'm on Verizon and it works flawlessly. However, my daughter is still on an AT&T unlimited plan and FaceTime works for her via cellular like it does for the OP.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 11-07-2012 at 07:41 AM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,917 Global Posts

Huh, I have a few friends on att and theirs won't work over cellular. At least it used to be that way... When I had my iPhone 5 it worked great. But i sold it and am back on android. I do have my iPhone 4 but it is jailbroken and on 5.1.1 so it doesn't do facetime over cellular anyway.

If att users can now do it without being on the mobile share plan, then that is great news!!!!

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Huh, I have a few friends on att and theirs won't work over cellular. At least it used to be that way... When I had my iPhone 5 it worked great. But i sold it and am back on android. I do have my iPhone 4 but it is jailbroken and on 5.1.1 so it doesn't do facetime over cellular anyway.

If att users can now do it without being on the mobile share plan, then that is great news!!!!

Just to make sure that it wasn't a fluke, I told my daughter to notify me via FaceTime on her next break, but she was unable to do so. My attempts to FaceTime her was also unsuccessful. Why would it work via cellular on a couple of occasions via AT&T, but not now?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I just used mine with my wife to test...worked fine on AT&T and we do not use a shared data plan.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (11-07-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,917 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I just used mine with my wife to test...worked fine on AT&T and we do not use a shared data plan.
    Wait a day or so and try again. Maybe att recognizes the use and then blocks it? Just grasping there....

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Thanks, Sean. I'm going to try again later when my daughter gets out if school.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Hmm i remember hearing about this issue. Just tested now with i5 on at&t with my friend who has a i5 as well on at&t and it worked fine. both of us are on grandfathered unlimited and not sharing.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (11-07-2012)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Wait a day or so and try again. Maybe att recognizes the use and then blocks it? Just grasping there....

We've used it off and on since the iPhone 5 was released...it's always worked this way for us.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iPhone Newbie

I guess I got caught. I face timed several times yesterday and today and suddenly it doesn't work anymore. I guess it was a fluke. Damned.

I went ahead and downloaded Tango. Works great, Tangoed with my wifes iPhone, my sons iPod and even the iPad. Apple obviously doesn't want Facetime to become mainstream. There are many other solutions.

Global Posts
    3,345 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

Facetime over cellular won't work for me on AT&T on my 4S or my iPad 3.
    It's required me to be on a tiered plan ever since iOS 6 beta 2.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by dale225 View Post
    I guess I got caught. I face timed several times yesterday and today and suddenly it doesn't work anymore. I guess it was a fluke. Damned.

I went ahead and downloaded Tango. Works great, Tangoed with my wifes iPhone, my sons iPod and even the iPad. Apple obviously doesn't want Facetime to become mainstream. There are many other solutions.
    I wouldn't say Apple doesn't want it going main stream, I'd say that mobile carriers are scared of it going main stream.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~

Global Posts
    3,699 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

I tested this today and the FaceTime window comes up, but the call does not connect.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by dale225 View Post

Not apple it's Att my Verizon iPhone 5 can FaceTime all day long on my unlimited LTE
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,917 Global Posts

When the Five and IOS 6 first came out, it was discussed and at that time Verizon stated they would allow facetime over 3g/4g. Att stated they would only do so if the customer subscribed to the Mobile Share plans.

Testing with friends on AT&T proved this to be true. That was over a month ago, perhaps something has changed. That or a few of you are getting lucky! Haha

iPhone Nanite

hehe
    iPhone Newbie

Att said FaceTime over cellular will only be allowed if you have an iPhone 5(doesn't matter what plan) or mobile share. So the reason it won't work for the 4s is because you don't have mobile share
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (11-08-2012)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,917 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by notoriousbeast View Post
    Att said FaceTime over cellular will only be allowed if you have an iPhone 5(doesn't matter what plan) or mobile share. So the reason it won't work for the 4s is because you don't have mobile share
    I must have missed that. I knew about only over cellular if on mobile share, but never heard about the iPhone 5 exclusively doing it regardless.

Global Posts
    19,279 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast