Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Default Re: Facetime over LTE

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    This was announced this morning... but you are still required to have a tiered plan... the grand-fathered unlimited plan is still excluded. Greedy b@$^*&#s.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

"Stay hungry, stay foolish" Steve Jobs
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

People have to stop being surprised by these moves by the carriers when it comes to grandfathered data plans...they are going to find every way possible to stick it to you because you're essentially the "rebels" to them.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,917 Global Posts

It looks as if the requirement change for the Five is a new development? That's cool!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #30  
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    I wouldn't say Apple doesn't want it going main stream, I'd say that mobile carriers are scared of it going main stream.
    The only reason I say it is not because it doesn't work for me, but that it is not widespread enough. You can't facetime on Blackberry, Android or even Windows. If Apple wanted it out there, there would be facetime apps on all platforms and more pressure on AT&T to open it up. By the time they decide to open it up it may already be too late, if it isn't already.

Global Posts
    19,489 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Facetime over LTE

Quote Originally Posted by dale225 View Post
    The only reason I say it is not because it doesn't work for me, but that it is not widespread enough. You can't facetime on Blackberry, Android or even Windows. If Apple wanted it out there, there would be facetime apps on all platforms and more pressure on AT&T to open it up. By the time they decide to open it up it may already be too late, if it isn't already.
    It's more than likely about money. How can AT&T make money off of the top selling handset, the iPhone whose popular video chatting app can now occur over a cellular network? Being that practically any iPhone running iOS 6 can FaceTime over cellular with Verizon, that seemed to have put AT&T in a minor predicament. For the sake of argument, let's say that AT&T allows their customers who are using an iPhone 5 to FaceTime over its cellular network without restrictions. Can they still make money? Yes, especially if they have more iPhone customers who do not have an iPhone 5, but would want to be able to FaceTime without having to be connected to Wi-Fi. I have an AT&T account that my daughter uses, but she rarely uses FaceTime. She and her ilk prefer ooVoo and a few others cross platform video chatting apps. Other than reading a couple of articles and reading comments posted here, I haven't been keeping up with AT&T's FaceTime drama.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    People have to stop being surprised by these moves by the carriers when it comes to grandfathered data plans...they are going to find every way possible to stick it to you because you're essentially the "rebels" to them.
    I’m not surprised by this crap... but I am annoyed. What part of "unlimited data" confuses them?

"Unlimited data" used to mean data with no limits or restrictions... but as soon as it is no longer convenient for THEM, they come out of the woodwork with restrictions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dale225 View Post
    What do you thing Skype video chat is? It’s basically a version of FaceTime for any platform for which there is a Skype client... I’m just sick of the nickel and diming that these carriers pull. Problem is, where are you going to go?
    Last edited by Fausty82; 11-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    JustMe'D likes this.

Global Posts
    19,489 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Facetime over LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Im not surprised by this crap... but I am annoyed. What part of "unlimited data" confuses them?

"Unlimited data" used to mean data with no limits or restrictions... but as soon as it is no longer convenient for THEM, they come out of the woodwork with restrictions.
    You are spot-on here, my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you thing Skye video chat is? Its basically a version of FaceTime for any platform for which there is a Skype client... Im just sick of the nickel and diming that these carriers pull. Problem is, where are you going to go?
    Again, I'm on agreement ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12